What Size Bag For 2 / 3 Days

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Witterings

What Size Bag For 2 / 3 Days

Post by Witterings »

I've got a small frame bag that takes all my tools, puncture repair, pump etc but will need a saddle pack as well for toiletries, spare socks etc and any other clothes / layers and something non cycle specific to wear in the evenings ... I don't wear cleats so can use the same shoes I ride in.

We'll be staying in pubs so no camping equipment and obviously travelling as light as possible, any ideas what size bag I'll need for the other bits ... I'd rather keep it smaller if possible but wondered if I could get away with 6 liters or if that may not be enough and would be better off with a 10 .... although I have seen a 7.5 as a half way house.

If anyone else is doing similar 2 / 3 day rides and knows what size bag you have would be appreciated.
The utility cyclist

Re: What Size Bag For 2 / 3 Days

Post by The utility cyclist »

Depends on weather, if you need various layers if temps drop or it's going to rain and needing more dry kit then you may well need bigger than 10litres.
There's a very good reason why the Carradice Nelson @ 15L is popular, you can get a light jacket plus a couple of days clothes in.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

The utility cyclist wrote:Depends on weather, if you need various layers if temps drop or it's going to rain and needing more dry kit then you may well need bigger than 10litres.
There's a very good reason why the Carradice Nelson @ 15L is popular, you can get a light jacket plus a couple of days clothes in.

As it's a pleasure ride ... if the forecast was pants I'd probably re-arrange for another time anyway so shouldn't be needing any wet weather gear ... hopefully :)

I'll take a look at the Carradice range as well .... I have their CarraDura Super Midi Saddlepack which is great bag.
Last edited by Witterings on 2 Apr 2019, 9:29am, edited 1 time in total.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Collect together the stuff you want to take, see how much space it takes up when stuffed in to a bag, that is the size you need...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

pjclinch wrote:Collect together the stuff you want to take, see how much space it takes up when stuffed in to a bag, that is the size you need...

I was thinking of doing exactly this using rucksacks etc I currently have .... frustratingly not one of the many we have as a family and have collected over the years has a marking to say what capacity is it :o
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Witterings wrote: frustratingly not one of the many we have as a family and have collected over the years has a marking to say what capacity is it :o
Volume on its own is not terribly helpful if the shape of the bag makes it awkward to pack. Just once, 20 years ago, I did a hotel tour with a small pair of panniers instead of my usual saddlebag. The small panniers were not easy to pack versus the saddle bag.

Stuff to take - for a summer tour I take almost the same stuff for a weekend, a week or a month. I use a Campers Longflap saddlebag which has a volume of 23 litres but is less than 3/4 full. Therefore a Nelson at 15 litres is about right. I use the extra space in the Campers Longflap because I tend to camp so take toiletries etc that are not needed when hotel touring.
whoof

Post by whoof »

You can get an pretty good estimate of the volume by measuring a bag with a ruler.

A 10 litre bag probably isn't going to cost or weigh much more than a 7.5 l one.

Personally for 2/3 days I would have a 17 litre saddle bag and a 6 litre handlebar bag, both would have some spare room for carrying food.

It depends how minimalist you want to be. I have also camped for the weekend with the same capacity but the only spare clothes I had were one pair of socks, one pair of bib-shorts and a pair of swimming trunks.
PH

Post by PH »

Witterings wrote:As it's a pleasure ride ... if the forecast was pants I'd probably re-arrange for another time anyway so shouldn't be needing any wet weather gear ... hopefully :)

There's still pleasure riding in the wet... but we're all different.
One of the good things about a Carradice saddlebag is the fittings on top for attaching your waterproofs, though doing so seems to have fallen out of fashion. It's the best place for them - if it's raining why would you want to open the bag and when it stops why would you put something that might still be wet inside.
Take what you want to make it enjoyable, you won't notice a bit of extra kit as much as you'll notice being short of something you feel you want. If the bike already has a rack, then tie something to the top while you experiment, a cheap sports bag is fine or even just a stuff sack.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A rack is far more practical I find.
You can add anything to it including a top bag.
can also type things to it to dry off, carry most anything on, very versatile.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'd use one about yo wide by yo deep by roughly yo long if I were you.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'd use one about yo wide by yo deep by roughly yo long if I were you.

I would be wary of doing this. Your stuff might being going up and down for the entire ride.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've done this sort of trip with a Carradice Barley. When packing it is easy to reduce the volume using one of those large Vacuum bags you find in £1 shops. Pack all your gear you don't need till the evening, seal the bag and open the valve. Sit on it until all the air is forced out and close the valve. Amazing how much space one saves. As above, jacket etc strapped to the outside of the bag. The Carradice Nelson though is probably ideal.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

whoof wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I'd use one about yo wide by yo deep by roughly yo long if I were you.

I would be wary of doing this. Your stuff might being going up and down for the entire ride.

Badum and indeed tish :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Witterings wrote:
pjclinch wrote:Collect together the stuff you want to take, see how much space it takes up when stuffed in to a bag, that is the size you need...

I was thinking of doing exactly this using rucksacks etc I currently have .... frustratingly not one of the many we have as a family and have collected over the years has a marking to say what capacity is it :o

Can you use plastic bags? The sizes of zip bags sold in supermarkets are usually 1 L and 3 L. If you can get all of your stuff into 2 or 3, 3 L bags, you know what you need?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Witterings wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Depends on weather, if you need various layers if temps drop or it's going to rain and needing more dry kit then you may well need bigger than 10litres.

As it's a pleasure ride ... if the forecast was pants I'd probably re-arrange for another time anyway so shouldn't be needing any wet weather gear ... hopefully :)

I'll take a look at the Carradice range as well .... I have their CarraDura Super Midi Saddlepack which is great bag.

You can strap your waterproofs onto the top of the saddlebag so they won't impinge on the internal storage area.