Bike bag light enough and small enough to carry on tour.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
m-gineering

Re: Bike bag light enough and small enough to carry on tour.

Post by m-gineering »

A few Japanese companies sell Rinko style bags as well, Grandbois comes to mind.

Another possibilty is to make something simple out of Tyvek, which could also double as a groundsheet
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
pal

Post by pal »

Sweep wrote: Pal - what's that bag like to carry around?

I wouldn't want to walk too far with it -- but that's really because of the weight (and because I have typical cyclists' upper-body strength! Also: I've been known to stash a pannier in there as well...). Carrying it through airports is no problem, even on some of the long-ish treks to the over-size x-ray machines in some places. (I find the shoulder strap a good length, and there's a useful grab handle about half-way down; but nb that I'm pretty short, so what works for me might not be so good for a tall person). Because you only take off one wheel, the bag is still quite long which means that trolleys aren't always that helpful (or at least, need careful balancing), and getting through the revolving doors at (I think) Oslo required some lateral thinking...

(But actually, because so little dismantling of the bike is required, I tend to walk the minimal distance possible with the bag, and then at least put the wheel back on the bike so I can start wheeling or riding again. (Vice-versa at the other end.) I don't think I've ever carried it more than about 500m outside an airport...)

Good to hear that they've smoothed out the tax/duties thing since I bought mine -- that makes life much simpler!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for the reply pal - will consider it for touring bikes.

I do like the approach of a soft foldable compact back using padding - the world is full of trash that can be used for padding :)
Sweep
Ridgie

Post by Ridgie »

Thank you all for invaluable advice . I have taken it all in and ordered a 'Groundeffect' bag from NZ today.
It packs down small and weighs only 1,200g which is what was wanted and I will be able to carry it on tour with me saving money and much hastle at the end.
Affectionate best wishes to you all Ridgie
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for reporting back ridgie.

Big question, which one?

Would be interested in your views once you get it/use it.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The Dogsbody is 1200gms. The Tardis is 1800.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:The Dogsbody is 1200gms. The Tardis is 1800.

Thanks simon - dogsbody it is then - surprised that it's lighter than the Tardis, and by that much.

Hope it's tough enough.
Sweep
Ridgie

Post by Ridgie »

It was of course the Dogsbody as you guessed. The lighter of the two and less breaking down needed. It's only a short flight - what could possibly go wrong!
Again, many thanks for such useful and knowledgeable advice. Ridgie
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Assuming you are in the UK ridgie can you return the favour (saves me the hassle of pursuing a fake purchase with all my details and then aborting) and tell me how much it cost all in - bag, taxes applied, shipping?
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sweep, all that info is available on the website - look under freight.

Quote:

"All prices include VAT and any Duty. This is prepaid by Ground Effect directly to the Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.

Shipping is by Tracked Airmail.

It takes 1-2 weeks.
A card will be left if you're not at home - sometimes a work address is most secure.
Our shopping cart calculates the postage based total weight – typically NZ$20-30."

NZ$20 is about £10

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/pages/faq-freight
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Was only asking a simple question simon fir a simple answer rather than having to tap all my details into the web site on a tiddly tab.
Sweep
Ridgie

Post by Ridgie »

Hi Sweep
It Comes to £102.13 delivered. Best wishes.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ridgie wrote:Hi Sweep
It Comes to £102.13 delivered. Best wishes.

:)

Many thanks for the simple reply ridgie -I may well get one as a companion to my tardis.

May come in useful even within the UK for taking things on soddin virgin and avoiding their sod awful bike booking.

Please report back on your inservice experience of it.

No disrespect to mr hill - I suspect his post sounded sharper to me than it was truly meant/I maybe took it - the problems of online communication.
Sweep
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

which in turn doesn't lend itself to careful handling.

That's an issue with the main airport I use, throwing luggage around seems to be the name of the game for those clowns.

I like the 'Dogsbody' and may consider getting one for my trip to the UK for LeJog later this summer. I have a standard bike box with wheels but the dimensions of it puts it into the extra cost category and I could buy the dogsbody for less than the cost of shipping the bikebox.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Have a look at Rinko, that type of transport may work for you, depending on bike etc. While I haven't yet found a supplier of Rinko-type bags in the UK, they should be easy to make.