Quiet site near Loch Ness

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Oldjohnw

Re: Quiet site near Loch Ness

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Navrig wrote:You could try the few pubs on the south east side. They may let you camp in their garden if you eat there?

https://www.whitebridgehotel.co.uk/

http://www.foyershouse-lochness.com/

Wild camping in that area is very easy.

Yep.
We used to do it at Foyers many years ago when we lived in W Scotland when the girls were young. 1982-85.

We wild camped, and walked to the pub.

That's what I'm getting too. The C and C club might not turn backpackers away but their website does little to welcome them. For a mere couple of nights it is not worth joining to get the cost reduced from something like £18 to £12. That's a pint or two or a decent meal.

I will stay with my wild camping and charge up at the cafe or pub, as usual having phoned up beforehand. The C and C club seems to favour totally ridiculous motor homes which probably shouldn't be anywhere near Scottish road.
John
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Oldjohnw wrote:I will stay with my wild camping and charge up at the cafe or pub, as usual having phoned up beforehand. The C and C club seems to favour totally ridiculous motor homes which probably shouldn't be anywhere near Scottish road.

Unfortunately the NC500 has been far too successful and the Highlands are now full of oversized motorhomes on all sorts of roads including the single track west coast roads. The success is causing many problems not least is the significant deterioration of the roads. The cost of repairs may well outweigh the additional income generated as a result of the increased visitor numbers, especially if there are so many motorhomes.

Last year I cycled Gairloch to Applecross and came across levels of traffic which would not have been imagined 10 years ago. All were very cautious and polite so no complaints other than it sometimes was a sprint to the next passing place.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I saw a huge motorhome a couple of years ago in a passing place. I understand that since they can be pretty well self contained, users of these vehicles sometimes don't even shop locally and wild camp, the latter being contrary to the spirit if not the letter of the wild camping legislation.
John
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Oldjohnw wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:I thought the Camping and Caravan Club had a special rate for "backpackers" that also applied to touring cyclists? I'm sure I've used that on the site at Poolewe a couple of years ago. Thought it was good value and they had great facilities for washing clothes etc.(Though you may not need any of them!) They are big sites though, but the one I stayed at was very quiet.

They do, but they require membership:

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.c ... ckpackers/

Non-members are eligible for backpacker rate too, but typically pay £2 more than members.
I've generally paid somewhere between £8 and £11.

If you car-camp, or caravan, you can get the £46 membership back in discounts fairly quickly, but for a solo cycle camper it would be pretty unusual for the non-retired to spend sufficient nights on club sites to justify the cost in purely economic terms.
Membership includes spouse and up to 2 kids, so if you cycle camp en famille, membership may be worth while.

Most cycle campers who do join do so for access to the small certificated locations. These all officially "members only", possibly for insurance reasons. It's not always enforced, but finding out beforehand is difficult.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

andrew_s wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:I thought the Camping and Caravan Club had a special rate for "backpackers" that also applied to touring cyclists? I'm sure I've used that on the site at Poolewe a couple of years ago. Thought it was good value and they had great facilities for washing clothes etc.(Though you may not need any of them!) They are big sites though, but the one I stayed at was very quiet.

They do, but they require membership:

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.c ... ckpackers/

Non-members are eligible for backpacker rate too, but typically pay £2 more than members.
I've generally paid somewhere between £8 and £11.

Most cycle campers who do join do so for access to the small certificated locations. These all oficially "members only", possibly for insurance reasons. It's not always enforced, but finding out beforehand is difficult.

Therein is part of the problem. In order to stay at the CLs I need to join. But I don't know details of the CLs to make an informed choice about whether or not to join. It's like booking a bike on a train. They're a' agin us.
John
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Oldjohnw wrote:Therein is part of the problem. In order to stay at the CLs I need to join. But I don't know details of the CLs to make an informed choice about whether or not to join. It's like booking a bike on a train. They're a' agin us.

Many (or even most?) of the CLs are listed on ukcampsite.co.uk, so at least there's some chance of finding out without access to the C&CC "big book".

I've got the impression that the Scottish wild camping rules are tending to push official sites more up-market
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Oldjohnw wrote:I saw a huge motorhome a couple of years ago in a passing place. I understand that since they can be pretty well self contained, users of these vehicles sometimes don't even shop locally and wild camp, the latter being contrary to the spirit if not the letter of the wild camping legislation.

It's contrary to the letter of the wild camping legislation, wild camping only applies to walkers, cyclists, kayakers, etc.
Motorised vehicle camping is not implicitly permitted under the legislation. This is how they could easily have resolved the issues in Loch Lomond & Trossachs NP with the existing legislation rather than introducing the bans and management zones.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In my hill walking days I used to be a fan of the YHA (as well as wild camping) but OMV they have lost their way a bit, too. Added to which I wouldn't wish a night spent within earshot of a sleeping Oldjohnw on my worst enemy: I snore.
John
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I'm not sure if you can camp at the great glen hostel a few miles off Loch Ness but great place for a stop over
Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I think the CL’s of the C&CC often specify own sanitation. Not handy for cycle camping. A Dutch couple of backpackers with a tiny tent had a full size hard standing pitch next to me at Dingwall last year. The site manager had to be persuaded that they were exhausted and could not travel further but they did get in. All the grass areas were full but it is a quiet site and so even large sites could be used if convenient for you.
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

I stayed at both the Foyers C and C site and the one at Dingwall, when I completed my JOGLE 4 years ago. I was not a member of the C and C Club at the time and had no problem getting into either site at the backpackers rate which was around £8 to £10. The site at Foyers has brilliant facilities including a lovely indoor seating area, with a shop selling home made microwave meals which they will heat up for you in their microwave. Wardens at Dingwall were especially helpful and even made me a cup of coffee when I arrived. Offered me a sheltered site when the forecast was for very heavy rain and advised me to stay back from the roadway. I found out why the next morning when there was a huge puddle very close to where I would have been pitched. I have now joined the club, mainly to ensure I can stay in their smaller sites when needed, but again I have managed to stay in many of these without being a member.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

bikerta wrote:I stayed at both the Foyers C and C site and the one at Dingwall, when I completed my JOGLE 4 years ago. I was not a member of the C and C Club at the time and had no problem getting into either site at the backpackers rate which was around £8 to £10. The site at Foyers has brilliant facilities including a lovely indoor seating area, with a shop selling home made microwave meals which they will heat up for you in their microwave. Wardens at Dingwall were especially helpful and even made me a cup of coffee when I arrived. Offered me a sheltered site when the forecast was for very heavy rain and advised me to stay back from the roadway. I found out why the next morning when there was a huge puddle very close to where I would have been pitched. I have now joined the club, mainly to ensure I can stay in their smaller sites when needed, but again I have managed to stay in many of these without being a member.

Interesting and thanks.
John