Scottish Borders Bus service X62

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Scottish Borders Bus service X62

Post by Jdsk »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 9:23pmOn a related note, have Scotrail put the bike carriages on the highland lines yet?
I think so:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=146827&hilit=scotrail&start=30

Current schedule:
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/scotrail-highland-explorer

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

VinceLedge wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 11:42am They also run these buses on the x95 route, Edinburgh to Carlisle via Galashiels and Hawick. No extra charge for the bikes as far as I know.
by chance came across one of these buses outside carlisle station recently. It was going to galashiels. looked like a really nice bus - had a chat with nice driver - £8.20 he said for person and bike and he said that for the same fare you could get from carlisle to edinburgh, though i don't know how the bus-changing goes on that - will have to investigate.
In short, impressed. Seemed to be every 2 hours from Carlisle.
Sweep
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Sweep wrote: 9 Sep 2021, 7:38pm
VinceLedge wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 11:42am They also run these buses on the x95 route, Edinburgh to Carlisle via Galashiels and Hawick. No extra charge for the bikes as far as I know.
by chance came across one of these buses outside carlisle station recently. It was going to galashiels. looked like a really nice bus - had a chat with nice driver - £8.20 he said for person and bike and he said that for the same fare you could get from carlisle to edinburgh, though i don't know how the bus-changing goes on that - will have to investigate.
The x95 goes all the way from Carlisle to Edinburgh via Galashiels, no changes needed.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

VinceLedge wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 4:49pm
Sweep wrote: 9 Sep 2021, 7:38pm
The x95 goes all the way from Carlisle to Edinburgh via Galashiels, no changes needed.
thanks - the driver i spoke to was a bit confusing and the info on the stand just said gallashiels - but I had the impression they maybe just change drivers or something. The driver did say it was the same fare. will check out, can see myself using - ties in quite well with the settle carlisle line.
Sweep
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Some terminate at Galashiels and some go on to Edinburgh, if you check the timetable on line or will show which ones.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

VinceLedge wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 6:20pm Some terminate at Galashiels and some go on to Edinburgh, if you check the timetable on line or will show which ones.
I did check online - I can't see any making a non-stop trip from Carlisle to Edinburgh.

https://www.bordersbuses.co.uk/services ... on=inbound

which kind of matches what the driver in Carlisle told me.

Seems you have to change at Hawick or Gallashiels and wait around for an hour and a half. Driver as I said said the fare was the same but have no idea how you secure your right to a bike place on the second bus.
Sweep
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I maybe didn't explain clearly, some of the buses go all the way through to Edinburgh with no changes and some of them terminate at Galashiels, just need to check the timetable to get on the through bus at Carlisle.