Trekking handlebars advice pls.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
radek

Trekking handlebars advice pls.

Post by radek »

Hello colleagues!

I am looking to moving away from drop bards due to discomfort in the back... I want to have a more upright position. Is there any good model of trekking handlebars that one of you could recommend? I have done some research online, but now I feel overwhelmed by the choice available. I would also liked to transfer my thumb sifters to the new bar.
robgul

Re: Trekking handlebars advice pls.

Post by robgul »

If yopu're tempted by butterfly bars I suggest very strongly that you try before you buy - despite the various hand positions I found them to be the work of Satan.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
radek

Post by radek »

If yopu're tempted by butterfly bars I suggest very strongly that you try before you buy - despite the various hand positions I found them to be the work of Satan.

How can I try them if they are not fitted on my bike?

I am wondering if there is a well established touring butterfly bar something that someone can recommend ?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Have you considered raising your steerer? It would seem a lot simpler and get you more upright.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
radek

Post by radek »

Have you considered raising your steerer? It would seem a lot simpler and get you more upright.

I did, but then I am not really using the drops almost at all. On the very odd occasion I use them to cut through strong headwind. I thought that maybe I could rise the angle of the steer and fit a velo orange crazy bar. Unfortunately, I do not have space for more spacers.
peterdpusey

Post by peterdpusey »

I moved from drops to flat bars when I brought my Thorn Raven Tour the flat bars came with GPSL grips and I have never been happier. My last trip was 2,000 miles from the Isle of Wight to Budapest. I never really understood drops as I spent most of my time riding with my hands on the brake hoods.

MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

peterdpusey wrote:I moved from drops to flat bars when I brought my Thorn Raven Tour the flat bars came with GPSL grips and I have never been happier. My last trip was 2,000 miles from the Isle of Wight to Budapest. I never really understood drops as I spent most of my time riding with my hands on the brake hoods.

I have this set up too (not on a thorn) - I switched from butterfly to this. Mine is a comfort bar so slightly swept back plus ergo 5 I think bar ends, all from SJS. I’m happy with the hand positions.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

radek wrote:Hello colleagues!

I am looking to moving away from drop bards due to discomfort in the back... I want to have a more upright position. Is there any good model of trekking handlebars that one of you could recommend? I have done some research online, but now I feel overwhelmed by the choice available. I would also liked to transfer my thumb sifters to the new bar.

Aside from swapping the bar you might need new compatible shifters and brakelevers. Depending on what you're running now this might get 'interesting'
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

If you decide to get a set of butterfly bars then don't get BBB's offering. I did and regretted it as they flex far too much. I got a Genetic Zygote butterfly bar which is much stiffer but haven't actually kept it on my bike as I regularly need to put my bike in the back of the car. Having a small car and a bike with butterfly bars on is challenging. So I have an Easton Monkey bar slightly raked back with Ergon bar ends much like the pic of the bike provided above. I would recommend the Ergon bar ends for reducing numbness in hands.

It also also possible to get a tube extender for your steerer to raise your bars if your steerer is cut short. I made the mistake of cutting a steerer tube too short once. Now I don't cut them unless they are absurdly tall getting in the way and being a hazard. A few months ago I raised my bike's bars by about 1.5 inches and it is so much more comfortable to ride now. Leaning forward at say 60 as opposed to 45 degrees.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

radek wrote:Hello colleagues!

I am looking to moving away from drop bards due to discomfort in the back... I want to have a more upright position.

For flats-with-options I have some Cane Creek Ergo bar ends on my hack bike which I like a lot and they're a lot less fuss than butterfly bars. I rode drops for years but I've lost my enthusiasm for them now. The Ergos were out of production for a while but looking at CC's web site suggests they're back "by popular demand", so looks like it isn't just me that likes them.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Look at this guy's bike for another alternative.

https://youtu.be/KbuAk-A_TSM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My preference for flat bars are ones with a back sweep of more than 40degrees,these place the hands in a more natural position and nearer to the hoods position of drops.
I like these two best(and I've tried a few)which are 45degrees:-
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMB/on ... -handlebar
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOGB/on ... -handlebar
Both are wide 65cm for the Mikes and 72cm for the Geoffs though either can be cut down to suit.
The loop on the Geoffs provide added hand positions for tucking down out of the wind.
I dislike bar ends as brakes and gearlevers aren't readily to hand when using them.

My 2d's worth
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Apr 2019, 4:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

robgul wrote:If yopu're tempted by butterfly bars I suggest very strongly that you try before you buy - despite the various hand positions I found them to be the work of Satan.

Rob

Can I ask why?
(Not arguing by the way, I was offered them on my flat bar Hewitt but passed on them)
Sweep
hondated

Post by hondated »

Here's a photo of mine I have just taken and I love them. So much so that I am thinking of selling some of my dropped bar racers to buy a proper trekking bike.
I must admit i have waivered and took them off and replaced the drops but having done that i now think they are the most comfortable for me.

20190420_183443.jpg
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Sweep wrote:
robgul wrote:If yopu're tempted by butterfly bars I suggest very strongly that you try before you buy - despite the various hand positions I found them to be the work of Satan.

Rob

Can I ask why?

1) they place the levers/shifters very close together, so you have little leverage on the bars when you need it most
2) they are springy but the bars bend in the wrong direction, putting more strain on your wrists

and lost of practical reasons like big, interference with cables or with barbags, esthetics etc
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm