Trekking handlebars advice pls.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Freddie

Re: Trekking handlebars advice pls.

Post by Freddie »

Show us a picture of your bike from the side, as it is at the moment.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Unless you want butterfly bars, I'd drop the word trekking and just look for "flat bars".

Admittedly some companies like SJS make (so called) trekking specific, with a specially designed anatomical amount of back sweep, uplift, etc, etc. However, what you want is a pair of flat bars that suit you.

I've been riding a touring bike with flat bars for nearly 30 years and have tried many slightly different bars over the years. The main differences are bend or back sweep which affects (twists) the wrist and grip; and uplift which has the hand grip area higher than the middle clamp section..

I would recommend you spend a while thinking what sort you will be comfortable with. Do you want any bend or dead straight? Do you need any uplift?

I remember sitting with with different bars on my table finding which had the right hand position for me. Even sitting with no bars just simulating different hand positions to is a good place to start. Its surprising how even a slight extra bit of bend can make bars uncomfortable.

You may also want to work out which bars can take all your toys. Some aren't very accessory attaching friendly.

For info, I'm currently using MTB bars - completely flat with a very slight amount of backsweep - they look straight unless you put a ruler against them. Also, they are pretty wide, which I find more comfortable for touring.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

m-gineering wrote:
Sweep wrote:
robgul wrote:If yopu're tempted by butterfly bars I suggest very strongly that you try before you buy - despite the various hand positions I found them to be the work of Satan.

Rob

Can I ask why?

1) they place the levers/shifters very close together, so you have little leverage on the bars when you need it most
2) they are springy but the bars bend in the wrong direction, putting more strain on your wrists

and lost of practical reasons like big, interference with cables or with barbags, esthetics etc

Thanks m-gineering - point 1 is excellent.

Agree about aesthetics as well.
Sweep
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I tried butterflys and liked them, but there was still something that did not convince they were the best solution. Perhaps it was the lower hand grips raised my center of gravity and made downhills a little scary.
So I switched back to flats with the shown bar ends. I like them much more as the sweep up can be adjusted

ergotec.jpg
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike