Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hippyonwheels
Posts: 144
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 8:52pm

Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby hippyonwheels » 20 Apr 2019, 9:47am

Hi guys, just looking for some opinions on the Raleigh Randonneur as a touring bike please.

I'm looking at a good condition 2nd hand one from the mid 90's. I want something for running around on but also something I can also strap on some front and rear panniers and do some reasonably robust touring on.

Any thought on this please?

Also, it's £270. Is this a reasonable price for a good condition model?

Any advise appreciated...
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10186
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 20 Apr 2019, 10:11am

Hi,
There are several on eBay matching your description.
Some 531 ones and some 708.
The 708 has sealed LX hubs.

As per always it all comes down to condition.
Also with a whole bike you're getting more than the value of the parts bought separately.
So with the whole bike it's good condition you can afford to swap out some parts and make a decent bike.
Condition condition condition.

I have a 708 from new it's quite a lively bike, I use my bike everywhere All year round And handles hard-core off-road reliably, it stays together, like I said the 708 built in 96 Has Deore Lx Hubs cranks brake arms and bar ends, MTB stuff.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

User avatar
fossala
Posts: 1194
Joined: 21 May 2013, 8:29am

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby fossala » 20 Apr 2019, 11:57am

I've owned both and really rate the 531 era model. The 708 is heavy and not very stiff, maybe mine was brazed poorly but no obvious signs of this (I checked).

Saying this, I've toured on both and both where fine.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10186
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 20 Apr 2019, 1:32pm

Hi,
fossala wrote:I've owned both and really rate the 531 era model. The 708 is heavy and not very stiff, maybe mine was brazed poorly but no obvious signs of this (I checked).

Saying this, I've toured on both and both where fine.

My 708 was apparently one of last made Raleigh at the old factory?
There was a brazing error on the rear frame mount eye on seat tube.
Also unbeknown to me for many years the frame and or forks are bent so bike wheels track out of line :?
I bought new so thought it will be like my new Koga_Miyata.........not, koga is perfection for sure (83)
Any way cant dump it, thought of investigating what's out some time but still ride it up and down mountains off road :mrgreen:
Its steel init :)
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

hippyonwheels
Posts: 144
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 8:52pm

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby hippyonwheels » 20 Apr 2019, 5:33pm

Thanks guys, that's really interesting, it's a 531 frame. Would you say £270 is fair price if condition is good?
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)

Jamesh
Posts: 463
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby Jamesh » 21 Apr 2019, 7:03am

That seems a fair price to me most decent tourers go for £200+
Ones which need restoration £100.
Those with sti and disc brakes £300 +

Cheers James

pwa
Posts: 9616
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby pwa » 21 Apr 2019, 7:33am

To be honest I would not offer more than £200 because it is not really a collectors item and it is very likely to be harder to find good new parts for than a more recent bike. The wheel rims may be worn down by braking to the point where they need replacing, the hubs may not have much life left in them. And addressing things like that will cost you. So I'd not pay too much for the bike.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2655
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby PDQ Mobile » 21 Apr 2019, 7:53am

On the other hand £200 doesn't buy much in the way of quality on a new bike (does it buy anything?) and a decent steel tourer will hold it's value well if looked after.
It could last a lifetime.

And yes you can tour on it. Componentry is decent enough. Has lowrider mounts so that's a plus too.
And if it fits you you may become supremely comfortable on it for long days on the saddle.

pwa
Posts: 9616
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby pwa » 21 Apr 2019, 8:00am

PDQ Mobile wrote:On the other hand £200 doesn't buy much in the way of quality on a new bike (does it buy anything?) and a decent steel tourer will hold it's value well if looked after.
It could last a lifetime.

And yes you can tour on it. Componentry is decent enough. Has lowrider mounts so that's a plus too.
And if it fits you you may become supremely comfortable on it for long days on the saddle.

I don't doubt that in good working order it will be a good thing to have, but if it needed new wheels in the next year or two that could mean trying to source hubs of a width not now standard and spending some money. £200 would be about right if it is basically okay. But it won't be the end of the spending. That £200 could become £400 quite quickly if a few bits need replacing.

zenitb
Posts: 245
Joined: 7 Aug 2018, 9:59pm
Contact:

Why not buy new ?

Postby zenitb » 22 Apr 2019, 10:14pm

One option is to look at a new bike - at least this way you will know you are not inheriting the problem of worn out components that you would have to replace ?

The Flat White seems to be the cheapest proper touring bike available new ? £430 notes list price but I see it discounted on the web...

https://tomsbiketrip.com/a-pro-bike-bui ... ring-bike/

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... te-review/

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10186
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 22 Apr 2019, 10:46pm

Hi,
They say don't buy a new tourer off the peg..............DON'T!

Pedals
Gearing will be not what you want or just plain stupid.
Accessories don't always fit and look stupid.
Handle bars will be wrong width for frame.
Brake levers will be mismatched :evil:

My randonneur 708 in 96 was £832, and had the problems I listed above.
But and a big but was that it had all Deore LX stuff, just try and buy a tourer or any bike with all brand parts and that includes the hubs! for about a grand or more?
Like I said the 708 had sealed hubs too.
A good 708 will probably be nearer £500.
531colin thought IIRC that the steering on a 708 was too skippy on paper, but it does handle like a racer with full camping gear :mrgreen:
Image Attachments
SDC14433.JPG
Mudgaurds are sportive trim...Ha Ha...
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

hippyonwheels
Posts: 144
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 8:52pm

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby hippyonwheels » 25 Apr 2019, 8:32pm

Thanks very much for your help guys, in the end I got outbid so the search continues but lots on insightful comments, cheers!
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)

whoof
Posts: 1735
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby whoof » 25 Apr 2019, 8:56pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
They say don't buy a new tourer off the peg..............DON'T!

Pedals
Gearing will be not what you want or just plain stupid.
Accessories don't always fit and look stupid.
Handle bars will be wrong width for frame.
Brake levers will be mismatched :evil:

My randonneur 708 in 96 was £832, and had the problems I listed above.
But and a big but was that it had all Deore LX stuff, just try and buy a tourer or any bike with all brand parts and that includes the hubs! for about a grand or more?
Like I said the 708 had sealed hubs too.
A good 708 will probably be nearer £500.
531colin thought IIRC that the steering on a 708 was too skippy on paper, but it does handle like a racer with full camping gear :mrgreen:

Is that some form of steering damper?

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13583
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby gaz » 25 Apr 2019, 9:39pm

whoof wrote:Is that some form of steering damper?

No, it's for holding the front wheel steady in a work stand.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

Brucey
Posts: 34312
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Postby Brucey » 25 Apr 2019, 10:05pm

hippyonwheels wrote:Hi guys, just looking for some opinions on the Raleigh Randonneur as a touring bike please.

I'm looking at a good condition 2nd hand one from the mid 90's. I want something for running around on but also something I can also strap on some front and rear panniers and do some reasonably robust touring on.

Any thought on this please?

Also, it's £270. Is this a reasonable price for a good condition model?

Any advise appreciated...



£270? In good condition? Bargain.

However I wouldn't advise using the exact same bike that you tour on for everyday running around; the latter tends to take its toll and by the time you need it to be 100% there for a loaded tour, you find yourself replacing half the parts on the bike because they are already a bit worn.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~