Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hippyonwheels

Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Post by hippyonwheels »

Hi guys, just looking for some opinions on the Raleigh Randonneur as a touring bike please.

I'm looking at a good condition 2nd hand one from the mid 90's. I want something for running around on but also something I can also strap on some front and rear panniers and do some reasonably robust touring on.

Any thought on this please?

Also, it's £270. Is this a reasonable price for a good condition model?

Any advise appreciated...
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Raleigh Randonneur- touring?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
There are several on eBay matching your description.
Some 531 ones and some 708.
The 708 has sealed LX hubs.

As per always it all comes down to condition.
Also with a whole bike you're getting more than the value of the parts bought separately.
So with the whole bike it's good condition you can afford to swap out some parts and make a decent bike.
Condition condition condition.

I have a 708 from new it's quite a lively bike, I use my bike everywhere All year round And handles hard-core off-road reliably, it stays together, like I said the 708 built in 96 Has Deore Lx Hubs cranks brake arms and bar ends, MTB stuff.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I've owned both and really rate the 531 era model. The 708 is heavy and not very stiff, maybe mine was brazed poorly but no obvious signs of this (I checked).

Saying this, I've toured on both and both where fine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
fossala wrote:I've owned both and really rate the 531 era model. The 708 is heavy and not very stiff, maybe mine was brazed poorly but no obvious signs of this (I checked).

Saying this, I've toured on both and both where fine.

My 708 was apparently one of last made Raleigh at the old factory?
There was a brazing error on the rear frame mount eye on seat tube.
Also unbeknown to me for many years the frame and or forks are bent so bike wheels track out of line :?
I bought new so thought it will be like my new Koga_Miyata.........not, koga is perfection for sure (83)
Any way cant dump it, thought of investigating what's out some time but still ride it up and down mountains off road :mrgreen:
Its steel init :)
hippyonwheels

Post by hippyonwheels »

Thanks guys, that's really interesting, it's a 531 frame. Would you say £270 is fair price if condition is good?
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That seems a fair price to me most decent tourers go for £200+
Ones which need restoration £100.
Those with sti and disc brakes £300 +

Cheers James
pwa

Post by pwa »

To be honest I would not offer more than £200 because it is not really a collectors item and it is very likely to be harder to find good new parts for than a more recent bike. The wheel rims may be worn down by braking to the point where they need replacing, the hubs may not have much life left in them. And addressing things like that will cost you. So I'd not pay too much for the bike.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

On the other hand £200 doesn't buy much in the way of quality on a new bike (does it buy anything?) and a decent steel tourer will hold it's value well if looked after.
It could last a lifetime.

And yes you can tour on it. Componentry is decent enough. Has lowrider mounts so that's a plus too.
And if it fits you you may become supremely comfortable on it for long days on the saddle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:On the other hand £200 doesn't buy much in the way of quality on a new bike (does it buy anything?) and a decent steel tourer will hold it's value well if looked after.
It could last a lifetime.

And yes you can tour on it. Componentry is decent enough. Has lowrider mounts so that's a plus too.
And if it fits you you may become supremely comfortable on it for long days on the saddle.

I don't doubt that in good working order it will be a good thing to have, but if it needed new wheels in the next year or two that could mean trying to source hubs of a width not now standard and spending some money. £200 would be about right if it is basically okay. But it won't be the end of the spending. That £200 could become £400 quite quickly if a few bits need replacing.
zenitb

Why not buy new ?

Post by zenitb »

One option is to look at a new bike - at least this way you will know you are not inheriting the problem of worn out components that you would have to replace ?

The Flat White seems to be the cheapest proper touring bike available new ? £430 notes list price but I see it discounted on the web...

https://tomsbiketrip.com/a-pro-bike-bui ... ring-bike/

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... te-review/
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
They say don't buy a new tourer off the peg..............DON'T!

Pedals
Gearing will be not what you want or just plain stupid.
Accessories don't always fit and look stupid.
Handle bars will be wrong width for frame.
Brake levers will be mismatched :evil:

My randonneur 708 in 96 was £832, and had the problems I listed above.
But and a big but was that it had all Deore LX stuff, just try and buy a tourer or any bike with all brand parts and that includes the hubs! for about a grand or more?
Like I said the 708 had sealed hubs too.
A good 708 will probably be nearer £500.
531colin thought IIRC that the steering on a 708 was too skippy on paper, but it does handle like a racer with full camping gear :mrgreen:
Attachments
Mudgaurds are sportive trim...Ha Ha...
Mudgaurds are sportive trim...Ha Ha...
hippyonwheels

Post by hippyonwheels »

Thanks very much for your help guys, in the end I got outbid so the search continues but lots on insightful comments, cheers!
whoof

Post by whoof »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
They say don't buy a new tourer off the peg..............DON'T!

Pedals
Gearing will be not what you want or just plain stupid.
Accessories don't always fit and look stupid.
Handle bars will be wrong width for frame.
Brake levers will be mismatched :evil:

My randonneur 708 in 96 was £832, and had the problems I listed above.
But and a big but was that it had all Deore LX stuff, just try and buy a tourer or any bike with all brand parts and that includes the hubs! for about a grand or more?
Like I said the 708 had sealed hubs too.
A good 708 will probably be nearer £500.
531colin thought IIRC that the steering on a 708 was too skippy on paper, but it does handle like a racer with full camping gear :mrgreen:

Is that some form of steering damper?
gaz

Post by gaz »

whoof wrote:Is that some form of steering damper?

No, it's for holding the front wheel steady in a work stand.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hippyonwheels wrote:Hi guys, just looking for some opinions on the Raleigh Randonneur as a touring bike please.

I'm looking at a good condition 2nd hand one from the mid 90's. I want something for running around on but also something I can also strap on some front and rear panniers and do some reasonably robust touring on.

Any thought on this please?

Also, it's £270. Is this a reasonable price for a good condition model?

Any advise appreciated...

£270? In good condition? Bargain.

However I wouldn't advise using the exact same bike that you tour on for everyday running around; the latter tends to take its toll and by the time you need it to be 100% there for a loaded tour, you find yourself replacing half the parts on the bike because they are already a bit worn.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~