Cycling from the North of Edinburgh, across Edinburgh the on to Penicuik and beyond

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beeb

Cycling from the North of Edinburgh, across Edinburgh the on to Penicuik and beyond

Post by beeb »

How easy is to go get from South Quensferry through Edinburgh to Penicuik. Is there a safe route for two cycle tourists. Thanks for any advice in advance.
pjclinch

Re: Cycling from the North of Edinburgh, across Edinburgh the on to Penicuik and beyond

Post by pjclinch »

beeb wrote:How easy is to go get from South Quensferry through Edinburgh to Penicuik. Is there a safe route for two cycle tourists. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Depends on your particular idea of "safe", but it should be okay. NCN1, then 196. Not the most direct route, but NCNs favour "quiet" over "direct" and the map says a lot of it is "traffic free".

Sustrans have a zoomable map you can look at.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Paulatic

Re: Cycling from the North of Edinburgh, across Edinburgh the on to Penicuik and beyond

Post by Paulatic »

IME if you can follow someone who lives there it’s dead easy :)
In reality prepared to get lost a couple of times and miss some signs. Well that’s what happens to me :lol: You might want to navigate onto route 61 a railway line to Roslin probably a little shorter than 196
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info