London to Rome in July...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
EuroV5

London to Rome in July...

Post by EuroV5 »

Is anyone out there looking to cycle from London to Rome this summer 2019? Cycling 50+ miles a day

Has anyone previously cycled this route, any tips or things I should know?

Is the Euro velo 5 route only useable in parts or most of the way?

:)
charliepolecat

Re: London to Rome in July...

Post by charliepolecat »

No, but I wish I was coming with you, it sounds like a neat trip, a bit slow though?
EuroV5

Post by EuroV5 »

Yes maybe a little slow but it will be my first touring trip. If I have the whole of July off work I can spend a few days in Rome at the end to see the sights.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

According to the website the section Calais to Lille is at the planning stage. Of more concern, the entire Italian section is only at the planning stage.

http://www.viaromeafrancigena.com/

Since it's also a Pilgrimage route you may get more info here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/communi ... -rome.132/

Or here: https://www.biroto.eu/en/cycle-route/eu ... rt00000409

It's about 2000 miles in length, that's an average of 66 miles per day... every day. I wouldn't consider an average of 50 miles a day as slow moving, especially not in Italy in July, but that's different for everybody.

Good luck!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Nothing wrong with slow!
I rode London-Rome a few years back as part of a ride from Leeds to Palermo. It was 1337 miles in 29 riding days, with six rest days, averaging about 46 miles a day. I followed the Via Francigena through eastern France, aiming for the Grand St Bernard pass, but had to cross the Simplon as the GSB was still closed at the end of May. Nice ride, but I found some of the countryside a tad uninspiring. If I was doing it again I'd take a more westerly route, maybe Dieppe-Orleans-Lyon-Grenoble-Turin.
The crucial bit of route planning is choosing which pass over the Alps – then the rest falls into place. There's also a sizeable climb to get over the Apennines – I took the Cisa pass, which is relatively low at about 1000m, and a nice scenic climb, though noisy with motorbikes at the weekend! Pleasant wild camping near the top.
EuroV5

Post by EuroV5 »

It's about 2000 miles in length, that's an average of 66 miles per day... every day. I wouldn't consider an average of 50 miles a day as slow moving, especially not in Italy in July, but that's different for everybody.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, yes it’s going to be very hot in July.
I seem to be getting conflicting information about the actually distance from London to Rome. I’ve got google maps saying it’s around 1200 miles. The Euro Velo website has it at 2000 miles for roughly the same route.
EuroV5

Post by EuroV5 »

nirakaro wrote:Nothing wrong with slow!
I rode London-Rome a few years back as part of a ride from Leeds to Palermo. It was 1337 miles in 29 riding days, with six rest days, averaging about 46 miles a day. I followed the Via Francigena through eastern France, aiming for the Grand St Bernard pass, but had to cross the Simplon as the GSB was still closed at the end of May. Nice ride, but I found some of the countryside a tad uninspiring. If I was doing it again I'd take a more westerly route, maybe Dieppe-Orleans-Lyon-Grenoble-Turin.
The crucial bit of route planning is choosing which pass over the Alps – then the rest falls into place. There's also a sizeable climb to get over the Apennines – I took the Cisa pass, which is relatively low at about 1000m, and a nice scenic climb, though noisy with motorbikes at the weekend! Pleasant wild camping near the top.

Thanks there’s some great info there. 1337 miles was that from Leeds to Palermo? I’m still trying to plan out my route through the alps. Wild camping is appealing to me is it reasonably easy to find a good spot in most locations?
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

EuroV5 wrote:Thanks for the info, yes it’s going to be very hot in July.
I seem to be getting conflicting information about the actually distance from London to Rome. I’ve got google maps saying it’s around 1200 miles. The Euro Velo website has it at 2000 miles for roughly the same route.

Sorry, looking again, that 2000 mile distance is from Cambridge to Rome and on to Brindisi, so shorter to Rome.

Google maps is great for getting an idea of distances and seeing what is in the vicinity, but I'd never recommend it for planning a long distance cycle route.
Have a look at https://cycle.travel/map It's a a very nifty tool when you get the hang of it. If following an "official route" is something that appeals to you it shows most of the main cycle routes too.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

1337 miles was London-Rome.
Wild camping – I like to be completely invisible, and generally find that suitable spots are hard to find, though other people seem to do better. I also like to finish my day's ride fairly early rather than setting up camp close to sunset, so prefer campsites when possible. The flatlands of Piedmont/Lombardy aren't much of a tourist destination though, and campsites are few and far between.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

If you really want to follow an official route maybe consider joining and following the Rhine as far as Lake Constance, then joining the Via Claudia Augusta which will get you across the Alps and into Northern Italy (via the Brenner Pass) then look to link up with EV5 or EV7 to Rome.

The advantages are that you are cycling on recognised cycle routes with all the appropriate facilities, at least until you are in Italy. I don't know the level of development after the Via Claudia Augusta.

The disadvantage of cycling along major routes is the increased difficulty in wild camping, unless you're willing to pitch late and depart very early. To counteract that, there are generally lots of options for official camping.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

It will be hot, hopefully. Make provision on your bike for carrying a few litres of water. Also lots of suncream.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Eurov5, will you be using a GPS?

If not, might be handy, for even if the Italian sections are a tad theoretical on the ground the route should be marked on various open street map versions I think so you could just follow it on screen, at least when confused.

I'd check out openfietsmap (google it) - just updated.
Sweep
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Ivor Tingting wrote:It will be hot, hopefully. Make provision on your bike for carrying a few litres of water. Also lots of suncream.

Check out an app called Fountains in Italy. It tells you the locations of (drinking) fountains. In Italy.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Ivor Tingting wrote:It will be hot, hopefully. Make provision on your bike for carrying a few litres of water. Also lots of suncream.

There’s not a desert or any dry uninhabited land mass between London and Rome. Two 750ml bottles, Sawyer Mini Filter (50g) & cooking gear is all that’s required. Home dwellers are remarkably receptive to a cyclist holding out an empty water bottle. 1L = 1KG.
EuroV5

Post by EuroV5 »

I think it will be best not to follow the EuroV5 now and change my route. Going from London to Brighton and through France this way. Dieppe, Paris, Geneva and through the Alps at the great St. Bernard pass making my way to Pisa and then Rome. :D