Front Rack?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Re: Front Rack?

Post by pwa »

Last edited by pwa on 26 Apr 2019, 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Maybe have a serious think of what you are taking.I had large ortliebs rear and small ones front,,plus camping gear,for me and Mrs!...Whatever the load, you cope.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

HobbesOnTour wrote:For bag inspiration have you tried Googling porteur or decaleur images?

Thank you. The problem with Googling is that if you don't know the name of something, Google returns all sorts of rubbish. A porteur or decaleur bag is just what I'm after. :)
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Alternatively, invest in more compact gear. I have no difficulty fitting everything for a three week European summer trip in a 33 litre pair of rear panniers, the tent on top of the rack, and a bar bag for valuables etc.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Graham O wrote:The problem with Googling is that if you don't know the name of something, Google returns all sorts of rubbish. A porteur or decaleur bag is just what I'm after. :)

It seems that the traditional way of carrying touring luggage in France is (or was) to put everything on the front, presumably for a more even weight distribution, and that the terms used for large front bags are therefore French (as, indeed, is "pannier").
A porteur is the large platform front rack, and a decaleur is the QR/stabilising mechanism, rather than any bag specifically.

P.S. Velo Orange's blog post on the subject, with clear pictures.
https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... tures.html
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Loading the bike at the front rather than the rear is indeed a French tradition, and there is something to be said in its favour. However, it also presupposes French style low trail geometry.