Can you help me find my dream bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
durhambiker

Re: Can you help me find my dream bike?

Postby durhambiker » 3 May 2019, 9:21am

m-gineering wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Are there any bikes under 30lbs that can credibly claim to be able to carry panniers f&r as per one of the OP's criteria?

Sure, not to difficult. Don't fit a ringlock, stands, leather saddle , multiposition adjustable handlebars , suspension seatpost, el cheapo suspension forks and those terrible +1kg Marathon plus tyres.

Swapped the bars on a Koga once for something sensible. Saved 1 kilo! Many bikes are made to be sold to bikeshops, who feel they need as many features as possible to be able to sell the bike to the uninformed. Once on the road most of those desirables are dead weight, and could be money better spent on improving the basic function of the bike or equipment
Is the above your attempt at tongue in cheek wit???..Please do not tell you are serious!!!.

durhambiker

Postby durhambiker » 3 May 2019, 9:22am

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 3 May 2019, 9:33am

pjclinch wrote:
pwa wrote:I know you said rim brakes, but if you want tyres that can do gravel you might reconsider that. If so.....https://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/stoater/
I expect they would do 1 x 11 if you wanted that.

I expect they'd mount brake bosses if you really wanted, and pop HS33s on for hydraulic power and feel.

HS33 used to be good, I no longer dare fit them to a tourer. Plastic bleedscrews say enough
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 3 May 2019, 9:35am

durhambiker wrote:
m-gineering wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Are there any bikes under 30lbs that can credibly claim to be able to carry panniers f&r as per one of the OP's criteria?

Sure, not to difficult. Don't fit a ringlock, stands, leather saddle , multiposition adjustable handlebars , suspension seatpost, el cheapo suspension forks and those terrible +1kg Marathon plus tyres.

Swapped the bars on a Koga once for something sensible. Saved 1 kilo! Many bikes are made to be sold to bikeshops, who feel they need as many features as possible to be able to sell the bike to the uninformed. Once on the road most of those desirables are dead weight, and could be money better spent on improving the basic function of the bike or equipment
Is the above your attempt at tongue in cheek wit???..Please do not tell you are serious!!!.

You're welcome to disagree with me ;)
Marten

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 3 May 2019, 10:13am

m-gineering wrote:

Why not to Difficult though? Looks like anywhere else in that neck of the woods to me. cf History :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difficult,_Tennessee

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 3 May 2019, 3:10pm

m-gineering wrote:
pjclinch wrote:
pwa wrote:I know you said rim brakes, but if you want tyres that can do gravel you might reconsider that. If so.....https://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/stoater/
I expect they would do 1 x 11 if you wanted that.

I expect they'd mount brake bosses if you really wanted, and pop HS33s on for hydraulic power and feel.

HS33 used to be good, I no longer dare fit them to a tourer. Plastic bleedscrews say enough

Dunno... all I've done to mine over the last 12 odd years is use them, wind in the clearance wheels with wear and replace the blocks (unplug old one, plug in new one, done). Never bled them, never needed to.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

hidingfromheadwinds

Postby hidingfromheadwinds » 3 May 2019, 3:45pm

simonhill wrote:700 or 26"? Flat bar or drops?

If you like a small frame, then Surly LHTs come in small sizes with 26" wheels, which is (and looks) a better combination than a mini frame with big wheels.

If you want a recommendation - I love my Surly, actually I love both my Surlys,

Spa will build you a bespoke one using the groupset, etc of your choice. I have Deore on my touring one, which has seen plenty of long haul service and lasted very well. Luv it!

700s preferable :-) I have been looking at Surlys which seem pretty bomber

hidingfromheadwinds

Postby hidingfromheadwinds » 3 May 2019, 3:50pm

Jamesh wrote:Genesis crox de tour?

Jamie Arora / elite

Dawes galaxy

Trek 520

Cannondale topslate spec diverge etc....

Nice problem to have!

Cheers James

This Genesis looks perfect...could I learn to love discs is the question!

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 3 May 2019, 4:23pm

pjclinch wrote:
m-gineering wrote:
pjclinch wrote:

Dunno... all I've done to mine over the last 12 odd years is use them, wind in the clearance wheels with wear and replace the blocks (unplug old one, plug in new one, done). Never bled them, never needed to.

Pete.

are you saying you bought the 2019 model 12 years ago?
Marten

charliepolecat

Postby charliepolecat » 3 May 2019, 4:29pm

My current bike - I tried to post a pic but no good - is a Scott Pro CR1 weighing in at 17.6 lbs but the maximum tyre I can mount is 25mm, so I'm thinking it will be more comfortable with a bike having at least 28's.

The roads with all the chip/seal favoured by the local authorities is making life miserable, so a change up in wider tyres for a softer ride is looming.

durhambiker

Postby durhambiker » 3 May 2019, 4:31pm

m-gineering wrote:
durhambiker wrote:
m-gineering wrote:

Thankyou kind sir...Assuming you are serious then..Is your advice based on experience.? Because touring without stands,lock,leather saddle etc is do able for some types of touring,but considerably detracts from the experience for other types of bicycle touring.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 May 2019, 6:40pm

hidingfromheadwinds wrote:This Genesis looks perfect...could I learn to love discs is the question!

What is it you don't like about discs on a touring bike?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 3 May 2019, 9:05pm

durhambiker wrote:
m-gineering wrote:
durhambiker wrote:.

Thankyou kind sir...Assuming you are serious then..Is your advice based on experience.? Because touring without stands,lock,leather saddle etc is do able for some types of touring,but considerably detracts from the experience for other types of bicycle touring.

I hate bike stands as I don't like my loaded bike to fall over. When I stop, there usually is a bench or barrier to sit on, a tree or wall to lean the bike against etc. If not I lay the bike on it's left side
I don't like ringlocks on a touring bike as opposed to a commuter, they are very heavy. A lighter chain is sufficent, I can fish it out of my pannier as I'm not in a great hurry and it allows me to chain the bike to something solid.
I'm nowadays perfectly happy on a non leather saddle which has half the weight of a Brooks, is fine in the rain and last longer than the current production (yes my 1974 Prof. I started out with is fine, but we've grown apart)
Marten

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 May 2019, 9:24am

M-engineering
Once again I find myself agreeing with all your points,except I use a cable lock for short stops where I can see the bike
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.