Inverness to Glasgow via route 78 or route 7

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pdimesch

Inverness to Glasgow on route 7 or 78

Post by Pdimesch »

I am planning to cycle from Inverness to Glasgow this July, but have some questions.
- Is there a more or less constant wind direction in Scottland which would advise not to cycle in the direction North to South or doesn‘t it matter.
- I am evaluation using route 78 to oban and then to Galsgow or route 7 via Pitlochry. What do you advise
- In order to enjoy the landscape (as well as scottish pubs) I am planning ca 50km/day. Is this reasonable?
Thank you very much for your help
rotavator

Re: Inverness to Glasgow on route 7 or 78

Post by rotavator »

The average wind direction is from the SW so in general it would be better to go from Glasgow to Inverness however it does vary; at the moment it is from the north.

As for distance per day, it depends on your fitness and load that you are carrying but 50 km/d sounds to me very reasonable and would allow time for sightseeing etc. I am no athlete and I found 80 km/d easily achievable on a hilly tour (Lon Las Cymru) last year.

The main bugbear on the west side of Scotland in the summer is the midges. These are mainly a problem in warm, calm, humid weather and if you are camping.
Pdimesch

Inverness to Glasgow via route 78 or route 7

Post by Pdimesch »

I am planning to cycle from Inverness to Glasgow this July, but have some questions. I am from Switzerland annd cycled a bit in Devon/Cornwall but do not know Scottland at all.
- Is there a more or less constant wind direction in Scottland which would advise not to cycle in the direction North to South or doesn‘t it matter.
- I am evaluation using route 78 to oban and then to Galsgow or route 7 via Pitlochry. What do you advise
- In order to enjoy the landscape (as well as scottish pubs) I am planning ca 50km/day. Is this reasonable? (I am 54 and cycle every day, like mountain biking, am reasonably fit an am used to touring but am not and never was a competitive cycler)
Thank you very much for you help and advise
Paulatic

Re: Inverness to Glasgow via route 78 or route 7

Post by Paulatic »

Prevailing wind is against your direction but we don’t get prevailing winds all the time. Yesterday and today it’s from the north It’s a lottery and you take your chance.
Route 7 to Glasgow will be an excellent trip but you might have to increase your mileage in some areas to reach a pub.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pdimesch

Post by Pdimesch »

Thank you very much for your essential insight (especially about the distance between pubs). I already planned the trip on route 7 and will take my chances with the wind. I planned overnight stops in Aviemore, Dalwhinnie, Pitlochry, Killin, Drymen, Glasgow (and from there in 2 days to Edinburgh)
However, I am am gratefull for any different suggestions
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You’ll be fine with those stops, throw in some sunshine you’ll have a great ride. Carry midge repellent that time of year.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pdimesch

Post by Pdimesch »

Wonderful, I am looking forward to it
keithg

Post by keithg »

Quite a good route choice, there are also several whisky distilleries en route too!
For example, Dalwhinnie and at Pitlochry, there are 2, Blair Athol as you leave the village and Edradour which is a couple of miles off route. Also Aberfeldy which is a little off route too. The first is worth a visit if you’ve never done a distillery tour.
The stretch between Inverness and Pitlochry has a few exposed and potentially windy stretches, the prevailing wind is south-westerly but you would be unlucky to encounter a strong head wind at that time of year, you will experience the Scottish Midge (google it) however at some point, not a problem when riding usually, only when you stop to admire the view or if you camp.
Dalwhinnie is rather a quiet and desolate village in the middle of nowhere, there are no pubs there but the hotel does have a poor bar. Otherwise you should be well off for choices of pubs.
The Old Mill in Pitlochry has the best beer and food by far, locally, recommended.
Hope you have a good ride and decent weather.
Have fun!