Touring Bike Thoughts and Source

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Paulc

Touring Bike Thoughts and Source

Post by Paulc »

Hello

Guy and gal looking to replace existing bikes that are two big. We want to try before buying. Specs to include ability to take panniers, disc brakes, steel frame, drops, low gears for alpine climbs. Looking at Ridgeback Panorama and Trek, any other thoughts? Live in Scotland.

Unable to find a retailer that stocks touring bikes to at least sit on, so far. Any ideas?

Mostly on road. 2 to 3 week tours sometimes with alpine passes. Have had Dawes Galaxys in the past, which were good when then fitted, but not getting on with the recent ones.

All thoughts gratefully received!

Paul
rotavator

Re: Touring Bike Thoughts and Source

Post by rotavator »

Spa Cycles in Harrogate will let you test ride their bikes and there is no hard sell involved. There is an easy cycle track near their shop. You can see the specs on their website but I also assume that they will be happy to change things to your requirements, unlike a lot of shops.

There is Shand in Scotland but I am not sure that they will be as good at fitting low gears as the likes of Spa and SJS. Also they will be expensive but at least you can choose your own colour!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

rotavator wrote:Spa Cycles in Harrogate will let you test ride their bikes and there is no hard sell involved. There is an easy cycle track near their shop. You can see the specs on their website but I also assume that they will be happy to change things to your requirements, unlike a lot of shops.

There is Shand in Scotland but I am not sure that they will be as good at fitting low gears as the likes of Spa and SJS. Also they will be expensive but at least you can choose your own colour!

Having recently bought from Spa I can confirm that they agree a specification with you before they build the bike. Looks like you can change almost anything but the frame if you want. Although asking for parts they don't stock might get more complicated.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Genesis Tour de Fer from Evans, probably not actually in any particular branch in your size but they will get them in for you to try out.
https://www.evanscycles.com/genesis-tou ... e-EV360683
Or their own brand Pinnacle touring bike https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-da ... e-EV318241
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Also on the lookout for a nephew tourer. I live in darkest Devon and I'm struggling to find retailers.

The Pinnacle is a great price but the wheels are only 32h. Not strong enough? Tour de fer 10 seems underspecced for the price. Panorama also. Kona Sutra looks Lucy and seems well kitted out. Also like the Trek and. Am waiting to try one.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Surly disc trucker. Spa cycles probably have some demos, there are four dealers in Scotland according to this.
https://surlybikes.com/where_to_buy
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thehairs1970 wrote:Also on the lookout for a nephew tourer. I live in darkest Devon and I'm struggling to find retailers.

The Pinnacle is a great price but the wheels are only 32h. Not strong enough? Tour de fer 10 seems underspecced for the price. Panorama also. Kona Sutra looks Lucy and seems well kitted out. Also like the Trek and. Am waiting to try one.

A Nephew tourer?
Looks Lucy?
horizon

Post by horizon »

I cannot find the thread, but I argued strongly (against some opposition! :shock: :)) in favour of buying a bike unseen and unridden. You are very lucky if you can find a dealer nearby to test out a bike of your choice. The tourer market is so small that dealers hardly exist. Two brands stand out on this forum: Spa and Thorn and neither have local dealers (unless Pilgrim and Bristol are still dealing in Spa bikes). Some Dawes might just be available.

However, I reckon that by diligent research and lots of questions you will get very close to the bike of your choice. Sizing today is very flexible and shouldn't present a problem. It helps if you already have a bike of some sort to compare with. Few people end up with the perfect bike first time round even if they have been to a dealer. But it is your increasing knowledge and riding that will get you closer to what you want: it's your second bike that will be the right one. In the meantime you won't go too far wrong.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

whoof wrote:
Thehairs1970 wrote:Also on the lookout for a nephew tourer. I live in darkest Devon and I'm struggling to find retailers.

A Nephew tourer?
Looks Lucy?

It was late. I was tired. I hate autocorrect sometimes.
honesty

Post by honesty »

The bike shed in Exeter usually has a few models in, otherwise a trip up to SJS in Bridgwater for their Thorn bikes may be a good idea.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Paulc wrote:Hello

Guy and gal looking to replace existing bikes that are two big. We want to try before buying. Specs to include ability to take panniers, disc brakes, steel frame, drops, low gears for alpine climbs. Looking at Ridgeback Panorama and Trek, any other thoughts? Live in Scotland.

Unable to find a retailer that stocks touring bikes to at least sit on, so far. Any ideas?

Mostly on road. 2 to 3 week tours sometimes with alpine passes. Have had Dawes Galaxys in the past, which were good when then fitted, but not getting on with the recent ones.

All thoughts gratefully received!

Paul

Where in Scotland are you and where have you tried?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thehairs1970 wrote:
whoof wrote:

A Nephew tourer?
Looks Lucy?

Autocorrect on my phone turned new kitchen into 'bewitched' clearly the programmer was from Salem.
I was mainly interested in what you meant instead of nephew.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

horizon wrote:I cannot find the thread, but I argued strongly (against some opposition! :shock: :)) in favour of buying a bike unseen and unridden. You are very lucky if you can find a dealer nearby to test out a bike of your choice. The tourer market is so small that dealers hardly exist. Two brands stand out on this forum: Spa and Thorn and neither have local dealers (unless Pilgrim and Bristol are still dealing in Spa bikes). Some Dawes might just be available.

However, I reckon that by diligent research and lots of questions you will get very close to the bike of your choice. Sizing today is very flexible and shouldn't present a problem. It helps if you already have a bike of some sort to compare with. Few people end up with the perfect bike first time round even if they have been to a dealer. But it is your increasing knowledge and riding that will get you closer to what you want: it's your second bike that will be the right one. In the meantime you won't go too far wrong.

This as long as you get the frame size right.

I recently tried to sell a very large Ridgeback World Panorama for a friend and noticed that there was a detail between the front brake and the stem which made me wonder how easy it would be to change the stem.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

whoof wrote:
Thehairs1970 wrote:
whoof wrote:A Nephew tourer?
Looks Lucy?

Autocorrect on my phone turned new kitchen into 'bewitched' clearly the programmer was from Salem.
I was mainly interested in what you meant instead of nephew.

New = nephew
Lovely = Lucy