Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15017
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby mjr » 9 May 2019, 2:29pm

simonhill wrote:Nonetheless, I wonder what is the hierarchy at airports. If the airline says xx baggage is OK but the airport staff say it is not, who wins?

Ultimately, the airline wins because they are the airport's customer - but they might not win fast enough to get you on a plane.

And in this case, it wasn't clear (maybe still isn't, given some comments in the other thread) that Ryanair says this baggage is OK.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 7374
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 May 2019, 2:35pm

mjr wrote:
simonhill wrote:Nonetheless, I wonder what is the hierarchy at airports. If the airline says xx baggage is OK but the airport staff say it is not, who wins?

Ultimately, the airline wins because they are the airport's customer - but they might not win fast enough to get you on a plane.

And in this case, it wasn't clear (maybe still isn't, given some comments in the other thread) that Ryanair says this baggage is OK.

...and there will always, but always be local interpretation involved.

As someone who is regularly castigated on another Forum for my madness in taking a spare set of fishing gear onto planes in hand luggage (lunacy, it will be confiscated and eaten by leopards/similar, they cry) for very good reasons I won't bore you with, I can report that it's the Ground Agents whose word really matters.

...and no, I've never had an issue with carrying on, except in one single case where politeness, respect and utter reasonableness seemed to make all the difference :wink:

PH
Posts: 8418
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby PH » 9 May 2019, 2:36pm

Bonefishblues wrote:To ask again, what do posters think would be the OP's chances of bringing a successful action?

Good enough to spend the £40 or so to pursue through the small claims process. Not good enough to start spending £100's on legal costs.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 7374
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 May 2019, 2:38pm

Fair comment - worth a punt to see if they pay OP to go away, as it were. Trouble is, I think they'd be almost duty bound to fight it.

Psamathe
Posts: 11160
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby Psamathe » 9 May 2019, 2:57pm

Polisman wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:To ask again, what do posters think would be the OP's chances of bringing a successful action?


I think if you went to Small Claims with it they would probably settle before a court date. It would probably cost them more to hire a solicitor for the day than to settle with you. Just make sure you have receipts and paperwork for EVERYTHING

I'm uncertain because sometimes it can be important to an organisation/company that they send a message to everybody else who might consider taking them to court. So they look on their own "bigger picture".

A couple of years ago I was making a claim against my council highways because their surface dressing ruined a air of my shoes (whist out for a ride and they hadn't closed the road ...). Council blamed their sub-contractors (Kier) who said they'd followed all the Council procedures and requirements. By this tine I was arguing with the Council Legal Department (no longer Highways) so I said I'd be taking them to Small Claims Court (where they could not normally recover costs whatever the outcome). But they said fine and that they would be defending the claim and undoubtedly would be sending legal people on the day ... all despite the fact that cost of replacing my shoes was far cheaper than the unrecoverable costs they'd spend defending the claim. But they need so send a message to everybody else who might think of taking them to court that they wont just give-up when you say "I'll take you to court" so many others get that message and give-up so long term they expect it saves them money (fairness and justice seems not the issue).

Ian

ubert767
Posts: 136
Joined: 4 Aug 2013, 8:16pm

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby ubert767 » 9 May 2019, 3:01pm

This thread is a sorry and all too common tale.
Wouldn't it be good if a "certain organisation", which claims to represent cyclist's interests, would take this matter up with the commonly used UK airlines to clarify the T&C's ?

Polisman
Posts: 644
Joined: 9 May 2019, 2:23pm

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby Polisman » 9 May 2019, 3:38pm

Despite the reservations of Psamanthe above, I would definitely take this all the way. Include everything, any expense you can think of , down to lost accommodation and rebooking fees. These are the kind of odd stories that appeal to broadsheet journalists who are having a quiet news day (this happens a lot more often than you might imagine). Get one on board, get all their contact details and pass that on to RA. I guarantee they'll make things right for you. Marketing at this level is all about what looks best for the company, and minimising any damaging critique. They end up looking like great guys and you will certainly get a very nice holiday out of it. Once there's even a whiff of tangible press blow back, they'll fold like a cheap deck of cards.. I've a friend took a high street travel operator to court and got a nice 4 figure settlement, just to keep it out of the press.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 7374
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 May 2019, 3:47pm

Polisman wrote:Despite the reservations of Psamanthe above, I would definitely take this all the way. Include everything, any expense you can think of , down to lost accommodation and rebooking fees. These are the kind of odd stories that appeal to broadsheet journalists who are having a quiet news day (this happens a lot more often than you might imagine). Get one on board, get all their contact details and pass that on to RA. I guarantee they'll make things right for you. Marketing at this level is all about what looks best for the company, and minimising any damaging critique. They end up looking like great guys and you will certainly get a very nice holiday out of it. Once there's even a whiff of tangible press blow back, they'll fold like a cheap deck of cards.. I've a friend took a high street travel operator to court and got a nice 4 figure settlement, just to keep it out of the press.

This is a bike in a bag. I suspect that the parallels aren't very, well, parallel :wink:

durhambiker
Posts: 166
Joined: 6 Jun 2010, 12:59pm

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby durhambiker » 9 May 2019, 3:48pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Small claims court should sort it. Inexpensive and effective.

Al

How do you rate OP's prospects of success?

Nil

durhambiker
Posts: 166
Joined: 6 Jun 2010, 12:59pm

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby durhambiker » 9 May 2019, 3:50pm

Polisman wrote:Despite the reservations of Psamanthe above, I would definitely take this all the way. Include everything, any expense you can think of , down to lost accommodation and rebooking fees. These are the kind of odd stories that appeal to broadsheet journalists who are having a quiet news day (this happens a lot more often than you might imagine). Get one on board, get all their contact details and pass that on to RA. I guarantee they'll make things right for you. Marketing at this level is all about what looks best for the company, and minimising any damaging critique. They end up looking like great guys and you will certainly get a very nice holiday out of it. Once there's even a whiff of tangible press blow back, they'll fold like a cheap deck of cards.. I've a friend took a high street travel operator to court and got a nice 4 figure settlement, just to keep it out of the press.

If it all goes pear shaped,you could end up seriously stressed,in debt,or both..

durhambiker
Posts: 166
Joined: 6 Jun 2010, 12:59pm

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby durhambiker » 9 May 2019, 3:52pm

Psamathe wrote:
Polisman wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:To ask again, what do posters think would be the OP's chances of bringing a successful action?


I think if you went to Small Claims with it they would probably settle before a court date. It would probably cost them more to hire a solicitor for the day than to settle with you. Just make sure you have receipts and paperwork for EVERYTHING

I'm uncertain because sometimes it can be important to an organisation/company that they send a message to everybody else who might consider taking them to court. So they look on their own "bigger picture".

A couple of years ago I was making a claim against my council highways because their surface dressing ruined a air of my shoes (whist out for a ride and they hadn't closed the road ...). Council blamed their sub-contractors (Kier) who said they'd followed all the Council procedures and requirements. By this tine I was arguing with the Council Legal Department (no longer Highways) so I said I'd be taking them to Small Claims Court (where they could not normally recover costs whatever the outcome). But they said fine and that they would be defending the claim and undoubtedly would be sending legal people on the day ... all despite the fact that cost of replacing my shoes was far cheaper than the unrecoverable costs they'd spend defending the claim. But they need so send a message to everybody else who might think of taking them to court that they wont just give-up when you say "I'll take you to court" so many others get that message and give-up so long term they expect it saves them money (fairness and justice seems not the issue).

Ian

How could you possibly prove a pair of shoes fell apart because of 1 stretch of road,and rule out every other possibility.No wonder you lost,it is a nonsence claim.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 7374
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby Bonefishblues » 9 May 2019, 3:54pm

durhambiker wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Polisman wrote:
I think if you went to Small Claims with it they would probably settle before a court date. It would probably cost them more to hire a solicitor for the day than to settle with you. Just make sure you have receipts and paperwork for EVERYTHING

I'm uncertain because sometimes it can be important to an organisation/company that they send a message to everybody else who might consider taking them to court. So they look on their own "bigger picture".

A couple of years ago I was making a claim against my council highways because their surface dressing ruined a air of my shoes (whist out for a ride and they hadn't closed the road ...). Council blamed their sub-contractors (Kier) who said they'd followed all the Council procedures and requirements. By this tine I was arguing with the Council Legal Department (no longer Highways) so I said I'd be taking them to Small Claims Court (where they could not normally recover costs whatever the outcome). But they said fine and that they would be defending the claim and undoubtedly would be sending legal people on the day ... all despite the fact that cost of replacing my shoes was far cheaper than the unrecoverable costs they'd spend defending the claim. But they need so send a message to everybody else who might think of taking them to court that they wont just give-up when you say "I'll take you to court" so many others get that message and give-up so long term they expect it saves them money (fairness and justice seems not the issue).

Ian

How could you possibly prove a pair of shoes fell apart because of 1 stretch of road,and rule out every other possibility.No wonder you lost,it is a nonsence claim.

That's not what Ian said though.

durhambiker
Posts: 166
Joined: 6 Jun 2010, 12:59pm

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby durhambiker » 9 May 2019, 3:54pm

Polisman wrote:Despite the reservations of Psamanthe above, I would definitely take this all the way. Include everything, any expense you can think of , down to lost accommodation and rebooking fees. These are the kind of odd stories that appeal to broadsheet journalists who are having a quiet news day (this happens a lot more often than you might imagine). Get one on board, get all their contact details and pass that on to RA. I guarantee they'll make things right for you. Marketing at this level is all about what looks best for the company, and minimising any damaging critique. They end up looking like great guys and you will certainly get a very nice holiday out of it. Once there's even a whiff of tangible press blow back, they'll fold like a cheap deck of cards.. I've a friend took a high street travel operator to court and got a nice 4 figure settlement, just to keep it out of the press.

That is not justice then,it is blackmail.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15017
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby mjr » 9 May 2019, 4:08pm

durhambiker wrote:
Psamathe wrote:A couple of years ago I was making a claim against my council highways because their surface dressing ruined a air of my shoes (whist out for a ride and they hadn't closed the road ...). Council blamed their sub-contractors (Kier) [...]

How could you possibly prove a pair of shoes fell apart because of 1 stretch of road,and rule out every other possibility.No wonder you lost,it is a nonsence claim.

"Ruined" not "fell apart". Probably the same council (I live not far from Psamathe) refunded me the cost of two tyres destroyed by bad resurfacing works done by the same subcontractor in 2012. In my case, it was pretty clear: they'd been cut to shreds (no-one would go out for a ride on such tyres, not even some of the clunkers around here), I'd taken pictures of the faulty surface (with sharp stones littering it) and they'd repaired it pretty damn quick after my report. It was settled before reaching court. You can never tell IMO.
Last edited by mjr on 9 May 2019, 4:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Psamathe
Posts: 11160
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Abandoned holiday - RyanAir terms and conditions

Postby Psamathe » 9 May 2019, 4:08pm

Polisman wrote:Despite the reservations of Psamanthe above, I would definitely take this all the way......

You didn't notice my earlier comment
Psamathe wrote:......
If it were me (and I have no legal expertise) I'd be pursuing it.....

I don't have reservations. That Ryanair might defend it is not a "reservation" nor a reason not to pursue it. Double check (as I'm no legal person) my I understood that the Small Claims Court/Track does not normally award costs, so if Ryanair send in a big expensive legal team costing them thousands and you lose, Ryanair would not get to recoup their costs from you (but double check this with people who would know e.g. Citizens Advice or even the court itself).

Ian