Trek 520 2019 opinions

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

Trek 520 2019 opinions

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I am seriously considering buying a Trek 520. I know the latest version raised a few eyebrows with its aluminium fork but have been persuaded by Alee Denham's review that a touring specific fork should cause no problems. And I am happy with the low weight recommendation. I think it will manage more than this with no issues.

I want a bike that will allow me to cycle camp in Europe with my other half. We are very unlikely to go further afield so are probably going to be on surfaced paths and roads for the majority of the time. I'm not a spring chicken so I'm more interested in views and coffee stops than making high speed runs.

Does anyone own one of these? What are your honest opinions of it? Anything you'd change?

I'm hoping to let my LBS know tomorrow as they got one in for me.

Cheers
Bonefishblues

Re: Trek 520 2019 opinions

Post by Bonefishblues »

IIRC a couple both bought these last year, they had a thread about it. Worth a search and a PM, perhaps.

ETA
'Planning our first small tour' will find it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What I find puzzling about this bike is that it has a steel frame with an alu fork :?
I don't understand the reasoning behind that decision other than it's due to cost related issues not a choice I'd feel happy with myself as alu is very stiff and uncomfortable.
The geometry's a bit suspect too with an overly steep seatube angle :?
There are many better machines available in that price range IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

I don't have experience of the Trek 520, but looking at the photograph of the bike on Trek's website and at the geometry, I suspect toe overlap might be an issue. Obviously that would depend upon the particular frame size (and your shoe size if you replace the traditional pedals and toe clips with SPD pedals). The bike comes without mudguards, and assuming you will want them fitted they would exacerbate any toe overlap.

For the most part toe overlap is often not a problem, because you only hit the wheel/mudguard if you are making a very slow speed turn and you can generally learn to avoid doing this. However, I would still prefer not to have it. If I'm on tour and meandering along a track and in a very relaxed frame of mind after a nice lunch, my concentration and reactions may not be good enough to prevent a fall if I make a slow speed turn and hit the front wheel with my shoe.

If you were able to get to Harrogate without too much difficulty, then once you've had your test ride on the Trek, I would recommend visting Spa Cycles and having a test ride of their Wayfarer, which I think has a better geometry/design, e.g. no toe overlap, 10mm longer chainstays gives more pannier to heel clearance, and clearance if you ever want or need it for 47mm tyres with mudguards instead of 38mm.

The Wayfarer is in the same approximate price range, and more importantly the build specification can be customised. For example, the 48/11 top gears on both the Trek and the standard Wayfarer build are far too high for my liking, but with Spa I would have my choice of whatever triple chainring sizes I wanted and I could also choose a cassette without an 11 tooth sprocket. Similarly I could choose the handlebars I wanted (both shape and width), crank length, tyres, saddle etc. etc. A Trek dealer simply is not going to be able to offer that level of customisation without charging significantly more to replace the stock parts that come fitted to the bike.
Last edited by slowster on 12 May 2019, 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Bonefishblues wrote:IIRC a couple both bought these last year, they had a thread about it. Worth a search and a PM, perhaps.

ETA
'Planning our first small tour' will find it.

Pm'ed. thanks.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

reohn2 wrote:What I find puzzling about this bike is that it has a steel frame with an alu fork :?
I don't understand the reasoning behind that decision other than it's due to cost related issues not a choice I'd feel happy with myself as alu is very stiff and uncomfortable.
The geometry's a bit suspect too with an overly steep seatube angle :?
There are many better machines available in that price range IMO.

I'm not concerned about the alu fork. I think it was a weight saving thing (they say anyways). I agree alu is going to be stiffer than steel but surely the wider tyres will offset this. Many European tourers have alu forks.

Two questions. Why does the steep seat tube bother you? Secondly, what bikes would you recommend?

Cheers
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

slowster wrote:I don't have experience of the Trek 520, but looking at the photograph of the bike on Trek's website and at the geometry, I suspect toe overlap might be an issue. Obviously that would depend upon the particular frame size (and your shoe size if you replace the traditional pedals and toe clips with SPD pedals). The bike comes without mudguards, and assuming you will want them fitted they would exacerbate any toe overlap.

For the most part toe overlap is often not a problem, because you only hit the wheel/mudguard if you are making a very slow speed turn and you can generally learn to avoid doing this. However, I would still prefer not to have it. If I'm on tour and meandering along a track and in a very relaxed frame of mind after a nice lunch, my concentration and reactions may not be good enough to prevent a fall if I make a slow speed turn and hit the front wheel with my shoe.

If you were able to get to Harrogate without too much difficulty, then once you've had your test ride on the Trek, I would recommend visting Spa Cycles and having a test ride of their Wayfarer, which I think has a better geometry/design, e.g. no toe overlap, 10mm longer chainstays gives more pannier to heel clearance, and clearance if you ever want or need it for 47mm tyres with mudguards instead of 38mm.

The Wayfarer is in the same approximate price range, and more importantly the build specification can be customised. For example, the 48/11 top gears on both the Trek and the standard Wayfarer build are far too high for my liking, but with Spa I would have my choice of whatever triple chainring sizes I wanted and I could also choose a cassette without an 11 tooth sprocket. Similarly I could choose the handlebars I wanted (both shape and width), crank length, tyres, saddle etc. etc. A Trek dealer simply is not going to be able to offer that level of customisation without charging significantly more to replace the stock parts that come fitted to the bike.

I had no problem with toe overlap when I tried it. Spa cycles are out I'm afraid. Firstly, I want to buy through cyclescheme which they don't do. Second, it would take me a good 5+hours to get there. I live in West Devon.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thehairs1970 wrote:I'm not concerned about the alu fork. I think it was a weight saving thing (they say anyways). I agree alu is going to be stiffer than steel but surely the wider tyres will offset this. Many European tourers have alu forks.

Yes the wide tyre will will take the sting out a harsh folf for sure,but weigh doesnt matter that much on a tourer,that said I'd be surprised if that folk is much lighter than a steel one.

Two questions. Why does the steep seat tube bother you? Secondly, what bikes would you recommend?

Cheers

A steep seatube limits how far back you can get the saddle to acheive KOPS.That said a sseatpost with a plenty layback can solve the problem.
Surly Disc Trucker,Salsa Vaya,Genesis Tour de Fer,Croix de Fer, or Vagabond(with different tyres),Ridgeback Tour Series,Kona Sutra.
Spa Cycles Touring are well thought out machines designed by a very experienced touring cyclist who frequents this forum occasionally.
W H Auden
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Mmmm. Seat angles. Theres a good bit on Sheldon Brown suggesting KOPS is overated as a bike fit method alone.

Regards your other suggestions - Surly - Love them but I would realistically be looking at an extra £400 above the cost of the Trek for a tour ready machine and its probably at bit of overkill. Salsa - no one anyone near that deals in them. Genesis - I like them but... for the tour de fer 10, I would have to replace the chainset and cassette as they are much higher geared than the Trek. It as Pro Max brakes which aren't as good as the Spyre. Its a kg heavier and £100 more. Kona Sutra is VERY attractive but I don't have a dealer near me to try one. Interestingly, chainstay length on it is shorter, probably due to the gravel bike slant they are pushing? Ridgeback - as I want discs, I'd be looking at a Panorama. £200 more and I don't see much difference in the geometry. 72.5degree seat tube compared to 73 on the Trek for my frame size. Chainstays are the same length. Sutra would probably be my second choice with Surly third.

Meant to say SPA cycles looks great but for reasons stated above, its a no go.

I really appreciate your thoughts though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

KOPS is a very sound method of calculating saddle position for efficient and comfortable riding,whatever Sheldon Brown's might say.

You asked for others those were some alternatives.
TRP Spyres are indeed better than Promax but Avid BB7's are better than both.
W H Auden
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Wasn't being ungrateful for the suggestions. They are all sound but....

Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it.