easyjet NOT accepting poly bags May 2019 (Maybe?)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

easyjet NOT accepting poly bags May 2019 (Maybe?)

Post by simonhill »

I hope Solway1 doesn't mind me copying a post he made on another thread. He hasn't been online for a few days and I thought that this was important enough to make into a new post as many people will be flying easyjet this summer (including me).

I have no idea if this will be easyjet's new official policy or just one employee's ruling, but its certainly something to bear in mind. If anyone has further info it would be very useful, but remember what was acceptable last year may not be this year so please date any info

Solway1 wrote on 10 May 2019:
I recently flew with EasyJet but clarified with them first what type of ‘package’ would be suitable. They were very clear with me that it had to be a ‘box or padded type bike bag’ I packed my bike in a cardboard bike box and there were no problems at check-in. They did say that a plastic type bag was not acceptable as there were risks of damage to the bike and they were bothered about escalating number of complaints and calls for compensation where items were not packaged securely.
mattheus

Re: easyjet NOT accepting poly bags May 2019 (Maybe?)

Post by mattheus »

Thanks Simon.

I say this with gritted teeth, but it's good of Easyjet to clarify this!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Hope this is just one person.
Have travel with EasyJet for the past 16 years (other than a couple of occasions with Flybe) using a cardboard box on the way out and either a tarp or plastic sheeting on the way back. If it is a change in policy it will be a pain.
I would normally be going off in the next few weeks but this year I'm having 2 weeks in Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Wiltshire instead so will have to keep tuned in to hear what travellers experience over the summer.
mjr

Post by mjr »

https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-co ... s/bicycles makes no mention of requiring padding.

http://www.airline-baggage-fees.com/sports/bikes/ is a summary of policies for many airlines (and a few long-distance bus operators), but check operators' own sites before booking.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

mjr wrote:https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/bicycles makes no mention of requiring padding.

I don't recall the policy (or its wording as written on the website) changing much over the last few years (my first trip with a bike & Easyjet was back in 2015). The wayback machine agrees too (snapshot from 2015).

Not sure of the significance (if any) of the word bicycle being in italics though.

It would be worth somebody dropping their customer services an email to check whether Solway1's experience is from an individual or a change in company policy.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Can’t UK cycling sort this one out- they have intervened before to clarify things I think to get a more consistent approach.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Still wondering the best way to start the Loire trip this September.
So considering the above posts on Easyjet not allowing Polybags for bikes I telephoned them.
The very pleasant girl I spoke to assured me that a polybag would be okay as their policy doesn't state that the''bicycle bag'' in their rules wording has to be padded. I would like to think that this was 'official' but I will have to have more assurance on this one.
Ever hopeful
Anthony
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Antbrewer wrote:Still wondering the best way to start the Loire trip this September.
So considering the above posts on Easyjet not allowing Polybags for bikes I telephoned them.
The very pleasant girl I spoke to assured me that a polybag would be okay as their policy doesn't state that the''bicycle bag'' in their rules wording has to be padded. I would like to think that this was 'official' but I will have to have more assurance on this one.
Ever hopeful
Anthony

Get it in writing otherwise the phone call is not worth the paper it is not written on.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Antbrewer wrote:So considering the above posts on Easyjet not allowing Polybags for bikes I telephoned them.

Could she email you that? Then you can print it and take it and it might sway a desk officer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi mjr,

During the conversation I had with the Easyjet lady I thought I would ask that very question,
ie, ''Could she email her answer?'' Then I completely forgot as the conversation went on. I will try again.
Thanks
Anthony
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It would be best if they could say on their website that Poly bags are OK.

This would give something definite to show to bolshy check in staff. If they refuse, then it would clearly be a breach of easyjet's T&Cs.
randonneur

Post by randonneur »

Reading this thread had me a little nervous flying out of Manchester last week with bike in poly bag. Had no problem in March on EasyJet and could not see any difference in the T & Cs since then. Anyhow bicycle was accepted in simple polybag without question.
Only hassle I had was getting the bike security checked as handlebars/bar-ends to wide for scanner meaning a long wait for a guy to come and check with hand held scanner.
The good news, on arrival at Faro airport, bike assembly area and tool station including track pump in baggage reclaim hall, can't see such facilities ever being available in a UK airport
CJ

Post by CJ »

Last year on our return from Kalamata by EasyJet on a group booking for 17, all with bikes, the staff were most delighted to receive bikes packaged in clear polythene.

This was on account of Kalamata's small airport's X-ray scanner being too small to swallow anything bigger than a regular suitcase. So the security staff must examine bicycles visually and manually. They were getting worried at the sight of that many packed-up bikes, because opening that many opaque bags and boxes - some locked or bound up with tape - to ferret aorund inside with a torch or where necessary lift the bicycle out to make sure there was nothing naughty in there, would clearly take quite a while. This is not to mention the awful hassle of getting the bike and its parts back in there somehow, while the owner looked on aghast!

So their eyes lit up at the sight of clear polythene. No need to unwrap these at all: they could see exactly what's there and if necessary simply poke a hole in the plastic to feel around. These bikes uniquely, remained exactly as their owners had carefully packed them and helped to ensure that ALL the bikes did get on the plane, which is a good thing because the next flight back to Blighty from Kalamata was not until three days later!

As regards complaints about damage, there is no evidence that putting a bike in an opaque padded bag makes it any less likely to be damaged. I know this because CTC used to have a touring and technical helpdesk that members would phone for advice. And in the 31 years I worked on that helpdesk we could detect no correllation between reports of damage in transit and the increasing use of padded bags, rather than flying 'naked' or in the clear polythene bags that for most of that time were dished out free by British Airways. Rigid boxes clearly helped, we rarely (but sometimes) heard of damage when they were used, cardboard boxes not so effective, they are easily squashed and quite a few bent bikes came out of those, and whislst padded bags probably prevented a few scratches they did not apparently provide any protection at all against the really serious ride-stopping crushing and bending damage. Considering how many BA and latterly CTC poly bags were in use, plus the factor that we had recommended or even sold the bag to the traveller, which is only going to encourrage complaints should there be any problem, we very rarely heard of anything worse than scratches, minor bending of mudguards and broken easily broken things like plastic lamps etc. (that any sensible person removes).

Our conclusion was that baggage handlers are actually human, with human feelings, and do not deliberately damage property. They do it because they're in a hurry and cannot see that by kicking that side of an inconvenietly large bag or carrdboard box, to persuade it into the confines of the aircraft hold, they are stoving in someone's wheel. Clear packaging however, reveals the fragility of the bicycle within. The handlers can now see what they're dealing with and realise the consequences of their actions. And that really seems to help.

So while I do not doubt that complaints of bicycle damage may be increasing, I suggest that the increasing use of merely padded opaque bicycle bags is more likely the cause of this, than any kind of solution.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
RickH

Post by RickH »

CJ wrote:Rigid boxes clearly helped, we rarely (but sometimes) heard of damage when they were used, cardboard boxes not so effective, they are easily squashed and quite a few bent bikes came out of those, and whislst padded bags probably prevented a few scratches they did not apparently provide any protection at all against the really serious ride-stopping crushing and bending damage.

It did occur to me, but I haven't needed to pack my bike for transit since, that some cross-bracing might be a good idea when using a cardboard box - a few rolled up lengths of cardboard ought to do the trick - to prevent the large, & rather flexible, sides from collapsing in onto the bike.

And preferably use a box from a Vanmoof bike! :D (link)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I flew Easyjet today, Southend to Bordeaux, with bike in an LBS cardboard box. As expected it arrived fine, but while on the plane, I read the in flight magazine and found some interesting statistics.

When we fly with our bikes we think we are doing something a bit different. I was surprised to read therefore that in April, Easyjet flew nearly 55,000 flights and carried nearly 12,000 bikes. It just shows that bikes are very common on their flights. Furthermore at forty quid or whatever, they are a god earner.