C2C Sunderland or Tynemouth for return by rail?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bill-lancaster

C2C Sunderland or Tynemouth for return by rail?

Post by bill-lancaster »

Am planning to do the coast to coast, Whitehaven to either Sunderland or Tynemouth, since we intend to return by rail, which is the better destination?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Toffee

Re: C2C Sunderland or Tynemouth for return by rail?

Post by Toffee »

bill-lancaster wrote:Am planning to do the coast to coast, Whitehaven to either Sunderland or Tynemouth, since we intend to return by rail, which is the better destination?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sunderland but I am a bit bias :D
robgul

Post by robgul »

I'd opt for Tynemouth as the bit through Newcastle along the quayside - with the bridges, Sage, the flour mill art gallery etc - is better than the rather dull route into Sunderland that I took ... the "big landmark" was the football stadium. Tynemouth is quite quaint for that part of the world and a non-onerous retrace to the station in Newcastle. [IIRC I had to get a train from Sunderland to Newcastle to get a train going to Brum.]

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You could always go to South Shields: one way by the ferry and on way by the bicycle Tyne Tunnel and back to Newcastle for your onward train.
John
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Without a doubt, Tynemouth. Although I'm not a fan of the dull, dirty, battered social housing estates places like Sunderland or Newcastle consist of (NB. I'm a bit biased :shock: ), as stated above Tynemouth itself at least has a "sense of place". And the centre of Newcastle is worthy of a few hours looking around and benefits from a superb, main line railway station
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Tynemouth. The Tyne valley is nice, you've got the largest, unmolested Georgian city centre outside London at Newcastle, with a mainline station, and Tynemouth is quaint - check out the fish shack if you like sea food

Not sure Sunderland has electricity yet. (Runs for cover)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

gbnz wrote:Without a doubt, Tynemouth. Although I'm not a fan of the dull, dirty, battered social housing estates places like Sunderland or Newcastle consist of (NB. I'm a bit biased :shock: ), as stated above Tynemouth itself at least has a "sense of place". And the centre of Newcastle is worthy of a few hours looking around and benefits from a superb, main line railway station

And which perfect part of the world is your palace situated?..".A bit biased " is putting it very very mildly indeed...more like talking utter nonsense.
PH

Post by PH »

It's a tough one, I've done it four times and wouldn't like to choose. As others have said the Newcastle quayside ride is nice, though on a busy day it can be slow going, the downside to it is the 10 miles leading there which is in places pretty poor urban path. Finishing in Rooker doesn't have anything as good as sections of the Tynemouth option, but IMO nothing as bad either! It also seems to have a more definitive and photogenic end point, I'm not sure I ever found the Tynemouth one, just a plaque on a jetty?
My choice would be to do both, finish in Roker, up NCN 1 and across to Jarrow, through the newly re-opened pedestrian/cycle tunnel and back into Newcastle on that lovely bit of quayside. By my calculation, assuming you're going to ride back to Newcastle for the train if you finish in Tynemouth, it only adds about 5 miles. That finish also gives the options of short detours to visit the Angel of the North and Beamish.
I don't know when you're planning to return, but to take the pressure off I like to stay over and get the train back the day after a tour, rather than having a strict timetable to finish. last time (2014) I got a bargain Travelodge (midweek) right in the centre of Newcastle, with plenty of time to explore before the train home.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I've also used both. My main problem with Tynemouth is you have to cycle passed the station in Newcastle then double back on yourself. This does not play well with me psychologically at the end of a long day! Sunderland is better in that respect but the rail connections are not as good. Both waterfronts are fine and Tynemouth has some character as others have said. I don't recall particularly run-down areas in either city although I don't really like big cities and normally avoid urban areas when touring.

On other cross country routes. My preferred coast to coast finish is Whitby as a variant of the W2W ride. I finished my Way of the Roses cycle in Flamborough instead of Bridlington.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

durhambiker wrote:
gbnz wrote:Without a doubt, Tynemouth. Although I'm not a fan of the dull, dirty, battered social housing estates places like Sunderland or Newcastle consist of (NB. I'm a bit biased :shock: ), as stated above Tynemouth itself at least has a "sense of place". And the centre of Newcastle is worthy of a few hours looking around and benefits from a superb, main line railway station

And which perfect part of the world is your palace situated?..".A bit biased " is putting it very very mildly indeed...more like talking utter nonsense.

I'd presume my palace is based in a much better part of the world than yours :roll: . Macams and lowlife are better avoided and they do tend to concentrate on social housing estates, in post industrial, benefit supported parts of the world
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

gbnz wrote:
durhambiker wrote:

I'd presume my palace is based in a much better part of the world than yours :roll: . Macams and lowlife are better avoided and they do tend to concentrate on social housing estates, in post industrial, benefit supported parts of the world

Your knuckle dragging lack of intellect has no place here
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Haway the Lads, and it's Makems
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Make that Mackems :)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Whitby for me and then down to Scarborough to catch trans pennine express.

But there are some nasty hills in the north York Moors commondale comes to mind with a wince!!

Cheers James
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

St. David's to Lowestoft if you really want to do the C2C.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.