Pamir 2019

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Maciej

Pamir 2019

Post by Maciej »

On the 8th of August I'm going from Berlin to Osh where I will start my trip to Pamir. I want to cycle through Bartang Valley, down to the border between Afghanistan and Tajikistan and back to Osh. I'm going back home on the 1st of September. If anyone wants to join in, please feel free to contact me.
Best regards from Poland
Maciej
Antbrewer

Re: Pamir 2019

Post by Antbrewer »

As much as I would like to cycle though such places I cannot. However I have come across a new touring couple on the net called Tristan Bogaard and his delightful girlfriend. Have a look at their website and youtube clips of their Central Asia tours. 'tristanbogaard'.
These are a dutch couple who have done a lot in a short time and present it all in a very professional manner with a lot of information. Well worth checking out . Truly inspirational .
Anthony
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Wow, that's a trip. Please keep us informed if you can.

Good luck.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ant brewer
Thanks for the heads up,some great videos :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Good luck. I did the Pamir Highway 4 years ago and want to return for the Bartang Valley. Can't make it this year. But next year for sure.
Will you keep a blog on Crazy guy? Or somewhere else?
Are you flying to Osh? I thought main flights just went to Bishkek?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

I don't have any blog on crazy guy but I can keep you informed here. Yes, indeed, I'm flying from Berlin to Osh (Aeroflot)
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Maciej wrote:I don't have any blog on crazy guy but I can keep you informed here. Yes, indeed, I'm flying from Berlin to Osh (Aeroflot)

Thank you. I will explore that flight from Berlin to Osh. But I see there is a 30 hour lay over on some flights!?!?
I had been planning to use Turkish airlines from Edinburgh via Istanbul to Dushanbe or Bishkek.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

I have a 3 hour lay over. What's more you have to watch out for changing terminals in Moscow. Polish citizens don't need any visa if they don't change terminals. Some flights from Moscow to Osh are operated from the same terminal as flights from Berlin to Moscow and some are not. It's a pitty you can't do it this summer...
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Maciej wrote:I have a 3 hour lay over. What's more you have to watch out for changing terminals in Moscow. Polish citizens don't need any visa if they don't change terminals. Some flights from Moscow to Osh are operated from the same terminal as flights from Berlin to Moscow and some are not. It's a pitty you can't do it this summer...

Thanks for the information. Very useful.
Yes, I really wish I could do it this year. But I have to work. Next year I will retire and have promised myself a return trip.
I am planning to fly into Dushanbe, bike along to the Wakhan valley, Murgarb, into Kyrgyzstan. Then Osh and on to Bishkek for a flight home.
When I was there before, the route started and finished in Bishkek. From Osh we went West into the top of Tajikistan and then down to Dushanbe. That last part was not interesting.

Your route will be a circle from Osh?
A good route. If I could easily fly in and out of Osh, I'd do it.
From UK, Osh is not too easy. I think I'll stick to Dushanbe and Bishkek with Turkish airlines.
Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I would avoid flying Aeroflop at all costs.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Ivor Tingting wrote:I would avoid flying Aeroflop at all costs.

How come?
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
Maciej wrote:
Your route will be a circle from Osh?

Matt

Yes, from Osh through Bartang Valley to Rushan, down to Wakhan Valley and back to Osh. If Bartang is not passable, I'll have to go for M41, down to Wakhan and back. I hope it won't be necessary, though. I read Bartang could be always tricky so I'll talk to local people near Karakul before setting off. On the way back I'll try to hitchhike from Sary Tash back to Osh. I wanted to do it from Osh to Sary Tash but it's to risky regarding the total ascent (I don't want to run a risk of altitutde sickness, so it will be better to become acclimatized before reaching 4.000 m)
pq

Post by pq »

You've probably already come across my Bartang write-up, but in case you haven't it's here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/standiet
One link to your website is enough. G
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

pq wrote:You've probably already come across my Bartang write-up, but in case you haven't it's here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/standiet

To be honest I haven't. I'll do it right now. Thank you very much, indeed!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

pq wrote:You've probably already come across my Bartang write-up, but in case you haven't it's here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/standiet

Many thanks. Excellent info
Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.