Buying a touring bike - things I didn't know

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
slowster

Re: Buying a touring bike - things I didn't know

Post by slowster »

TrevA wrote:If the steerer is uncut and has a star fangled nut fitted, then if you cut the steerer down, you’ll need another nut, won’t you, unless the nut was pushed far down into the steerer. Are they easy to fit? Or is there a removable bung that could be used instead?

I use the sort of bung sold for use with carbon forks, which allows me to remove the bung, cut the steerer down, and then re-insert the bung. If and when I've decided that I will not need to cut any more of the steerer down, I can either just leave the bung installed or replace it with a star fangled nut.

If a star fangled nut is fitted and you want to cut the steerer down, you could just knock the star fangled nut further down inside the steerer tube, but you run the risk of the nut going out of alignment unless you can use a setting tool for the task (I think some setting tools might only allow insertion of the nut to the correct depth and no further). Another option is to knock the nut all the way down to the bottom of the steerer tube in order to remove it. The chances are that it might then be in no condition to be re-used, but star fangled nuts are not expensive.

As regards the wider issues raised by the original post, I can see the attraction of formulating something like a checklist for customers buying a new touring bike, so that they don't overlook anything and know what all their options are when discussing the bike with the shop and specifying components. To an extent I agree with this idea, especially where it involves such fundamental things as not having the steerer cut down (too much).

However, I don't think it's viable to have the sort of discussion with a shop about things like the pros and cons of different Tubus rear racks for nearly every component on the bike. The customer needs to do at least some homework beforehand (as LGC did when they posted on this forum asking for advice on choosing a new bike) or have sufficient experience/preference or prejudice of their own to be able either to tell the shop what changes they want made to the standard specification and/or to enable any discussions about the most suitable components to be targeted, e.g. ask advice about racks, tyre choice, cantis vs discs vs v brakes, saddle choice etc., but not to do so for every component and accessory choice.

Bear in mind that many shops are dealerships with very little choice of touring bikes, e.g. a Trek dealer might only be able to offer the Trek 520, and varying its specification much if at all may not be an option for a complete bike which comes in box, other than maybe the option of exchanging one Trek branded component for another Trek branded component or without paying a lot more to change the parts.

The likes of Spa and Hewitt are unusual in the range of touring bikes and components they offer, and in building them up to a bespoke specification if required, and it would take ages for them to go through every possible option with a customer. The important thing is that their customers walk out the door with a bike that is the right size for them, has reasonably good quality components or better (notwithstanding that TRP Spyres might not be the perfect choice of brake) and is suitable for the riding they will do, and which the customer can modify later as they see fit with different components, cutting the steerer, moving the brake/shift levers etc.

In my experience, any hope the OP might have of going into Spa for his next bike purchase and being able to specify exactly what he wants based on his greater knowledge and experience, is doomed. What tends to happen instead is that you get so particular and fussy, that you end up building the bike up yourself, because some of the components you want not even Spa stock and/or you want something a shop does not do, e.g. spraying the tubes with Waxoyl or similar before assembling the bike, putting more grease in the hubs than Shimano provide, drilling the hubs with lubrication ports etc.
scottg

Post by scottg »

See you are buy your first touring bike, which after a year or a tour or two,
once most the bits on bike have been replaced with ones you like, you sell.
Then you buy your 2nd to last touring bike, which lasts till you retire.
Then you buy a posh tourer, and people make fun of you on the Forum. :)
They never explain that at the shop.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

You start with the bare frame in your hands and think, this is going to be really light. Then you bolt bits on :D

If you fit the bars with no tape and are using a work stand, you will probably take a chip out the paint before the bikes even built. Wrap something around the top tube where the bars will strike.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mjr

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:Bike stands:

Just to say (as I haven't yet read the whole thread so apologies if it's already been mentioned) that AIUI, bike stands are a no-no on touring bikes due to the damage they may do to the frame.

It's stupid Anglo-saxon lawyerly bottom covering. Because some people abuse them (putting heavy loads on the bike while on its stand), no-one is allowed the benefits of easier parking when unladen (using the bike as a shopper, for example) and not messing up the frame leaning it against things.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

slowster wrote:<big snip>

In my experience, any hope the OP might have of going into Spa for his next bike purchase and being able to specify exactly what he wants based on his greater knowledge and experience, is doomed. What tends to happen instead is that you get so particular and fussy, that you end up building the bike up yourself, because some of the components you want not even Spa stock and/or you want something a shop does not do, e.g. spraying the tubes with Waxoyl or similar before assembling the bike, putting more grease in the hubs than Shimano provide, drilling the hubs with lubrication ports etc.

I don't anticipate going into Spa to buy another touring bike unless something really unpleasant happens to this one (such as being trashed or stolen).

I think that if I did there would be some items that I would specify slightly differently but, as I said at the start, I am generally very pleased with the bike.

Having said that, I'm tinkering with the angle of the drops at the moment and wondering if the reach is now slightly long.
More tinkering with the saddle called for, probably.
So far I do prefer to be able to brake and change gears on the drops.
I also find that I seem to climb slightly better on the drops; I have no idea why.
Edit: unless I am looking at the front wheel instead of how long and how steep the remaining hill is.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Some manufacturers warn against fitting stands on the grounds that the clamps can damage the chain stays. Discussion in various threads. However, some bikes are made with two bolt holes in the nds rear dropout (or end of chain stay) for a stand to bolt into. That's quite useful. And I agree about central stands blocking the pedals.

We have bikes that have the two holes in the chain stays that came with stands fitted and we have fitted universal ones to other bikes (mostly steel frames) including ones where the stand has a Weber coupling attached to it for towing children's trailers. So far without any signs of damage to the frames even when the bikes have fallen over fully laden. I guess other bike frames must be made differently.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:
So you are now blaming the forum and any one else you can think of for not telling you things about bikes, components and accessories you didn't know about before you got your touring bike and are now unhappy with? Crikey.

Umm... LittleGreyCat began by saying they are pleased with the bike. I don't know how you get either blame or unhappy out of any of that.

I think you may find that Ivor Tingting likes to Troll from time to time. :shock:
Possibly best not to feed a Troll (any more).

Sorry, but no I'm not trolling. I read your OP, twice, and to me you come across as some one having a bit of a whinge and sour grapes you didn't know these things before you bought your bike. Have you ever heard of caveat emptor? Whilst these forums give excellent advice from time to time they cannot second guess for some one who has little idea about bikes in buying their 'perfect touring' bike. In any case many of the things you whinge about are easily changed at little cost so don't even merit mentioning. Perhaps if you were more informed you would not have made this post and I certainly don't deserve to be called a troll because I take a contrary view and 'am not a member of your clique.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Umm... LittleGreyCat began by saying they are pleased with the bike. I don't know how you get either blame or unhappy out of any of that.

I think you may find that Ivor Tingting likes to Troll from time to time. :shock:
Possibly best not to feed a Troll (any more).

Sorry, but no I'm not trolling. I read your OP, twice, and to me you come across as some one having a bit of a whinge and sour grapes you didn't know these things before you bought your bike. Have you ever heard of caveat emptor? Whilst these forums give excellent advice from time to time they cannot second guess for some one who has little idea about bikes in buying their 'perfect touring' bike. In any case many of the things you whinge about are easily changed at little cost so don't even merit mentioning. Perhaps if you were more informed you would not have made this post and I certainly don't deserve to be called a troll because I take a contrary view and 'am not a member of your clique.

Hmmm....my "clique"?

I think your general attitude is different from most posters who found the whole discussion productive.

Perhaps your general world view is a little negative and you attribute to others the emotions you suffer from yourself?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My superb SPA Steel Tour was blown over 2 days after i picked it up and landed safely on my grandsons MTB ... safely, apart from the slight dent in the top tube !!!!!!!

Had mine supplied with a 9 speed cassette and a single front ring chainset which they machined from a standard double .... it's brill ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

HobbesOnTour wrote:I read it that the OP was (bravely) sharing what they had learned about the process.
I interpreted no blame, simply a wish to spread some knowledge to someone who might go through the same process.

Yup, and BRAVELY deserves some emphasis! If you post any opinion, there is someone out there willing to shoot you down - if you post about your ignorance (and hence about a learning experience), you are doubly vulnerable.

Brave (and interesting) post :)

Let's revisit the intro, and work from there:

LittleGreyCat wrote - This is based around my Spa Wayfarer which I was guided towards by this forum.
I am very pleased with the bike,
but there are things which I didn't know which might have made a difference to my detailed specification.
Also things which I didn't know which turned out to be an unexpected bonus.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

yes - nothing wrong at all with littlegrey cat's original post at all.

interesting thread.
Sweep
slowster

Post by slowster »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Tubus Cargo rack - good solid rack supplied as standard, however there is a variant, the Logo which has an additional bar to mount the panniers lower, which allows stuff to be put on the top without interfering with the pannier fixing. For an extra £15 I would have opted for this had I known.

If you would still prefer a Logo, someone wants to swap their Logo for a Cargo - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=130524
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

slowster wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:Tubus Cargo rack - good solid rack supplied as standard, however there is a variant, the Logo which has an additional bar to mount the panniers lower, which allows stuff to be put on the top without interfering with the pannier fixing. For an extra £15 I would have opted for this had I known.

If you would still prefer a Logo, someone wants to swap their Logo for a Cargo - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=130524

Thanks.
Having raised the issue I am now mulling over the narrower top.
Which just goes to show the I could have been misguided if I had changed the default.
Decisions.....decisions....

Edit: just asked why they want to swap. :D
PH

Post by PH »

One of the things not yet mentioned is the headset - quite a few Spa owners have reported on it's poor quality and ended up replacing it.
That and cutting the steerer down could be done at the same time which would get you an extra star fangled nut if you need it (I've always got away with knocking the original one down a bit)
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

PH wrote:One of the things not yet mentioned is the headset - quite a few Spa owners have reported on it's poor quality and ended up replacing it.
That and cutting the steerer down could be done at the same time which would get you an extra star fangled nut if you need it (I've always got away with knocking the original one down a bit)

Thanks - now I have headset worry. :shock:

I think I am unusual in that I have the stem on the highest setting so I have no plan to cut the steerer down.