Berlin - Hook Of Holland Advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dnrc

Berlin - Hook Of Holland Advice

Postby dnrc » 5 Jun 2019, 7:58pm

Hi all,

I needed a break and today booked a flight leaving next Wednesday to Berlin, going to cycle to the Hook and get the ferry home

going to take about 8 days, my only plan is to head along those green bits on google maps towards hamburg and then kinda aim for amsterdam then onwards to the hook.

Going to camp mostly (wild if needed), have a CDF and prefer to be offroad

Just wondering if anyone has advice on trails/interesting things to see / places to go / whatever

Thanks

nirakaro

Re: Berlin - Hook Of Holland Advice

Postby nirakaro » 6 Jun 2019, 12:34am

I believe that wild camping is illegal in Germany. But they're an outdoors-y people, and campsites are plentiful. I also came across a thing called a zeltplatz (tent-place?), which is a spot where you're allowed to pitch a tent, free, for one night. The one I used was next to a tiny café, where there was a cold tap and a toilet. Nice half-way-house to wild camping.

nsew

Postby nsew » 6 Jun 2019, 10:36pm

Hamburg to Amsterdam via Gronignen (sp) incorporates the German fens. Yikes! There’s a nice route into Bremen from the North. After that you’re on your own - don’t ask for water. People seem to like the cycle.travel website though it requires an internet connection.

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 7 Jun 2019, 10:01am

nsew wrote:Hamburg to Amsterdam via Gronignen (sp) incorporates the German fens. Yikes! .

Or you could follow the coast with the North Sea cycle route, continuing with the LF9
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

dnrc

Postby dnrc » 7 Jun 2019, 7:29pm

@nirakaro - it's only illegal if you get caught!

but the zeitplatz places you mention sound good, any more info/links/maps?

@nsew - whats the problem with the german fens? And what's wrong with the water?