Lon Las Cymru on a road bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andynic

Lon Las Cymru on a road bike

Post by andynic »

Two of us are riding the Lon Las Cymru in four days at the end of June. We're on road bikes and I'd like to know if anyone has done it recently and has any advice on which parts of the route are suitable or not and where we might need to take roads rather than paths. Many thanks, Andy.
PH

Re: Lon Las Cymru on a road bike

Post by PH »

It partly depends on which of the finish (Assuming N>S) options you choose. This applies to both:
The vast majority of it is fine on any bike, there's a section before Dolgellau, that needs a bit of caution, it's sandy rather than rough, if you wanted to make better progress the A493 runs parallel. Then the only really rough section comes about 5 miles after Rhayader, it's only a mile or so, but unless you've made the decision to avoid it earlier you have to back track, even on a touring bike I walked a couple of short sections. That's all there is to Chepstow.
If going for the Cardiff finish - my memory from a long time ago was a rough forestry section south of Brecon, though I know there's a road on the other side of the reservoir. Also, though it may have changed, I didn't like the Taff Trail towards the end, it wasn't very scenic and my memory of the surface was that it seemed to be made up of coal dust (I'm sure it wasn't)
of the two, I much preferred the Chepstow option, not least for the chance to cross Gospel Pass. Some photos from the local CTC group ride a couple of years ago, with riders on a range of bikes.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2944082@N ... bckxobn3jM
andynic

Post by andynic »

Thanks very much - I should have said - we're actually going Chepstow to Holyhead, so S-N.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Did it a few years ago on an audax bike with 28mm tyres from Holyhead to Chepstow. The only bit to miss is the coach road just north of Newbridge on Wye. I’d stick on the a470 til Llanwrthwl where you can cross the river and back onto the route. There’s a very short section of gravelish track after Aberllefenni just before to top of the climb. It’s well worth doing this though. The railway track after Dolgellau is definitely rideable and in my view one of the jewels of the route. Have a look at my website linked in my signature I’ve written up my journey.
andynic

Post by andynic »

Thank you.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Back in 2000 I bought myself a Claude Butler 'city hybrid' bike call it what you will. This was to get myself back into cycling. I fancied a challenge so I had my wife drive me and the bike with two large panniers to Holyhead and I then spent 4 glorious days making my way to Chepstow. I stayed at random B&Bs .
Two parts remain in my memory .....A gravel /cinder section not far from Caernarvon and a tough morning in the Black mountains. Bear in mind I was not cycling fit and this was my first venture of any sort for many many years. The whole trip was amazing and very doable. Since then I have done quite a bit but for a first foray out it was wonderful.
You will enjoy on any bike with any tires I am sure .
Have fun
Anthony