Strangford Lough (East Side)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DAV_1965

Strangford Lough (East Side)

Post by DAV_1965 »

Hi, can anyone shed any light on the road that hugs the East shore of Strangford?
I am sure R99 is great but I need to pick a route to accommodate relatively easy cycling
My worry about the Greyabbey/Kircubbin stretch is that it might be full of 2 & 4 wheel petrolheads opening up their engines
Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Cheers, David
Gontlib

Re: Strangford Lough (East Side)

Post by Gontlib »

I cycle on it frequently. It can be busy with day trippers on Sat or Sunday or if there's a big event at Mountstewart. But it's not dangerous or to be avoided and the Lough views are nice. Having said that R99 down through the middle of the peninsula is quiet and pleasant cycling. What's your concern about R99?
DAV_1965

Post by DAV_1965 »

Thanks for speedy reply
Just thought the sinuous route of R99 suggested the gradients night not suit my other half? She usually uses ebike but will probably have to revert to pure pedal power. Don't want to take ebike on ferry from Cairnryan.
Cheers, David
Gontlib

Post by Gontlib »

The coast road is reasonably flat until a few miles before Portaferry. Then there a few longish climbs but not too steep.
The only real climbs on R99 are coming out of Newtownards. So what you could do is stay on the coast road to Greyabbey, then go east on the B5 to meet R99 and follow it south from there.
Or you could use the A2 down the East coast of the peninsula. It's as flat as the Greyabbey, Kicubbin road but less busy.
If you want to share your overall route I'd be happy to advise.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I always try and avoid the eastern coast road of Strangford because of the heavy traffic.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.