Stupid idea #134......

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LittleGreyCat

Stupid idea #134......

Post by LittleGreyCat »

If I attach a small guy rope to each side of the rear carrier and the end of each handlebar will my bike stand upright overnight?

Possibly with a poncho as a cover?

I can see it now.....
richardfm

Re: Stupid idea #134......

Post by richardfm »

It might...try it and then let us know
Richard M
Cardiff
hayers

Post by hayers »

Probably so long as the ropes stay tight. But why???
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Some experts will be along soon with photos, not stupid at all
Care to post #133 + #135? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

hayers wrote:Probably so long as the ropes stay tight. But why???

Just thinking about laying the bike down on the panniers and tying to cover it up and stuff, as opposed to it being upright but without a prop stand.

Also, a well secured bike could feature in a nice wild camping setup with a bivy bag - somewhere to keep the rain off your face when the rest is snug.

One more guy rope and you could have a tarp supported......

Edit: loads of pictures of taking a wheel off to support one end of a tarp. Why?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If you brought a cheap 3x2m tarp you could secure to the rear rack / saddle and handle bars with ties through eyelets and at the four corners peg down with tent elastics and pegs.

Sods law the eyelets wouldn't be in the middle!

Cheers James
PH

Post by PH »

When I started touring in a group, some of the old timers would always do this and I copied. Just need the one guy each side, around the bottom of the seatpost is OK, then something to stop the front wheel turning, toestrap through the wheel to the downtube works fine. Never bothered to cover more than the saddle (If leather)
All works fine till some oaf trips over the guy and who knows where bike and oaf will land. I've stopped doing it, prefer to lay the bike down.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

When camping we used to use a guy rope wrapped round the top tube then pegged out each side of the bike - it worked a treat, even on a tandem.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I guy my bike upright sometimes.
It depends on having a couple of spare tent pegs and 3-4 m of spare guy line/washing line (which I usually do), and not having something convenient to lean the bike against.
A clove hitch round the base of the seat post, and peg down the ends of the guy line about 1.5 m either side of the bike.
I generally don't bother with a toe strap on the wheel (or brake), but do have the bike pointing up & down the slope if there is one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

My thoughts exactly.

What's stupid idea number 2?
Sweep
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

To answer your question, yes you can do it. To echo the others, why would you want to do it?

There is an advantage to being able to keep your bike upright for the easy attachment of panniers. Your guylines won't help much there.

I think I mentioned it in another post - a clickstand.
Or have a look at this thread, specifically post 4 for multi-use https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/b ... sted=0&v=n

However....
LittleGreyCat wrote:Flat and boring trip across the Netherlands to Germany .......

Standing your bike will not be an issue on this trip. Most Dutch campsites will have sheltered sheds for your bike. And those that don't won't be short of places where you can stand your bike. Germany a little less so., especially the larger, touristy ones.

However,(and forgive me for quoting you from another thread), I think your question is a sign that you are rapidly approaching the line where you need to get away for a couple of days on a "tour". If I'm following correctly, you've researched and bought a bike, kitted it out with panniers, handlebar bag, got a gps unit, acquired a travelling buddy, but you describe the impending trip itself as "boring".

The "boring" part would worry me far more than any piece of equipment. I'd suggest that needs your attention more than guying out your bike.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Sweep wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

What's stupid idea number 2?

Non-sequential random numbering.....
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

There are a couple of tent / shelter products available that use the bike as the "poles", so actually a very good idea...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

HobbesOnTour wrote:To answer your question, yes you can do it. To echo the others, why would you want to do it?

There is an advantage to being able to keep your bike upright for the easy attachment of panniers. Your guylines won't help much there.

I think I mentioned it in another post - a clickstand.
Or have a look at this thread, specifically post 4 for multi-use https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/b ... sted=0&v=n

However....
LittleGreyCat wrote:Flat and boring trip across the Netherlands to Germany .......

Standing your bike will not be an issue on this trip. Most Dutch campsites will have sheltered sheds for your bike. And those that don't won't be short of places where you can stand your bike. Germany a little less so., especially the larger, touristy ones.

However,(and forgive me for quoting you from another thread), I think your question is a sign that you are rapidly approaching the line where you need to get away for a couple of days on a "tour". If I'm following correctly, you've researched and bought a bike, kitted it out with panniers, handlebar bag, got a gps unit, acquired a travelling buddy, but you describe the impending trip itself as "boring".

The "boring" part would worry me far more than any piece of equipment. I'd suggest that needs your attention more than guying out your bike.

Clickstand - thanks - just looked it up. Total cost including shipping looks high, though, and there is the temptation to "home brew" using replacement tent poles.

"Flat and boring" relates to the amount of hills.
I cycle in Suffolk so understand the concept.
I have also cycled in Yorkshire around Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay area so I also have some understanding of the opposite.

Training rides are demonstrating that however fascinating the countryside, after a certain point the main focus is matching the gearing and cadence to the road and wind heading/speed and not very much time spent in admiring the admittedly beautiful scenery.

If the usual social ride is around 20 miles then doubling the distance plus a bit can be "interesting" especially for the last 5-10 miles.

In this context, "flat and boring" can be a very good thing. Think a gentle flat run compare to "just one more mountain pass".
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Progressing onward in thought, the issue of a single bike is different from two or more.
If you have two bikes, then all you need to do is have a solid bar between the two clamped, for example, to the top tube or saddle post.
Bit of tent pole and a couple of clips or Velcro straps and Robert is your relative of choice.