Lon Las Cymru (Welsh E2E)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Sorry got the wrong end of the stick.

Thats the same as me, 30/40 miles a day would be too boring for me as all the time when I would not be riding would be a waste as far as I'm concerned.
I don't do less than 60/70 miles when I go out and Sundays I do about 100.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

ianr1950 wrote:Sorry got the wrong end of the stick.

Thats the same as me, 30/40 miles a day would be too boring for me as all the time when I would not be riding would be a waste as far as I'm concerned.
I don't do less than 60/70 miles when I go out and Sundays I do about 100.

what bike are you on??

i did 50miles on myhybrid...and that felt pretty taxing
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I guess it must be pretty flat terrain around ianr1959 homeland. It's too hilly where I live in South Durham/Cleveland/North York Moors to manage 100 miles on a Sunday. :wink:
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

I live in Leicestershire but I ride into Derbyshire most weekends and it is definitely not flat, also south Leicestershire towards Market Harborough is very rolling and there are some pretty stiff climbs.
I use a variety of bikes, a Kinesis Racelight TK is my winter commuting bike, A Viner carbon bike ( my little indulgence for the warm sunny days) also used for a bit of racing, a Mercian Audax and a couple of old hack bikes.
At the moment I am commuting 25 miles each way 3 days a week which with this fine weather the ride home turns into about 50 miles.
I don't find hills reduces my distance, it just increases the time spent in the saddle.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

ianr1950 wrote:I live in Leicestershire but I ride into Derbyshire most weekends and it is definitely not flat, also south Leicestershire towards Market Harborough is very rolling and there are some pretty stiff climbs.
I use a variety of bikes, a Kinesis Racelight TK is my winter commuting bike, A Viner carbon bike ( my little indulgence for the warm sunny days) also used for a bit of racing, a Mercian Audax and a couple of old hack bikes.
At the moment I am commuting 25 miles each way 3 days a week which with this fine weather the ride home turns into about 50 miles.
I don't find hills reduces my distance, it just increases the time spent in the saddle.
Carbon bike, mmm nice.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My two penn'orth.

I've just got back from a 30. I think it's a good distance for me. Lazy breakfast, out at 9ish, and home for lunch. Stuff to do in the afternoons!

However, I must agree that 30 miles a day when on a tour would be very boring, no matter what the terrain. I have found over the years, that 10mph per day (including stops) is the way it works - sometimes a little less. So 30 miles would only be 3 hours cycling. Also 30 miles wouldn't require any stops!

Give me 60 miles for an easy tour. 3 hours then a long lunch, then another 3 hours for an early tea!
Mick F. Cornwall
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I must admit I've got pretty lazy over the last 2 years, never been right, since I had Chickenpox when I was 50. Prior to that, I was doing 50/60 miles on Sunday's. Also my work hours does not help, I was working until 1:00am, cycling home then getting to bed at 3:00am.

But good news is I now finish work at 11:30pm. Anyway I have a double coast to coast ride planned for June and that is between 50/60 mph over 4 days, then a 60 mile ride to the York Cycle Show.

Will I slow down, don't think so.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

I did the Lon Las Cymru two years ago and it is a fantastic ride. Started at Chepstow and rode north. It is really well signposted, the only maps you need are the ones produced by Sustrans.
I would recommend you take the route via Happy Valley from Machynlleth to Dolgellau. It involves a short section of track, but nothing a good touring bike can't handle.
The route in the hills above Harlech is a cracker too.
I stayed at B and B's and did it in five days, without too much trouble.
It really is a good ride.
meic

Post by meic »

CTC Cymru or CTC Wales if you prefer does have a little used website with a forum (English speaking :x ) One of the threads is the Lon Las so you may pick up a few points there.

I have bought and studied the 2 Sustrans maps and ridden the Cardiff to Brecon stretch.
A combination of hills and on that stretch irritating cycle barriers will tend to keep your speed and therefore mileage down.

The independant Hostel site has two options in Rhayader and some YHAs are on route.
Yma o Hyd
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I have the guide book "Lon las Cymru" by Nick Cotton which shows the route from North to South, but I prefer South to North. Nick stated that the route is best started from Holyhead to Cardiff, due to the train network. In other words, getting the hassle out of the way getting to Holyhead, then reaching Cardiff, the trains are more easy to exit.

One idea I have in mind is to do the Lon Las Cymru to Holyhead, trace the North Wales coast line to Liverpool to pick up the Transpennine Way to Holmfirth to pick the Pennine Cycle route North to Kirkby Stephen and East to Stockton via W2W. This is will take up a fortnight easy.
wobblychainring

Post by wobblychainring »

I cycled Chepstow to Machynlleth over Easter (in the snow), I reckon the hills were easier south to north, long and steady with quick steep descents. Also you slowly climb following the Wye and then drop quickly to sea level at Machynlleth - I felt for the cyclists I saw climbing out of Machynlleth, what a hill.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

That must be the highest point on the Lon Las Cymru - 510m (1700') ASL and according to guide book, coming from Machynlleth a gentle climb then a steep climb over 8 miles. Looks like a South to North ride.
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

I've done it! Two years ago, Cardiff to Holyhead over 6 days.

Day 1 Cardiff to Brecon (YHA) 60miles
Day 2 Brecon to Builth Wells (B&B) 41miles
Day 3 Builth Wells to Llanidloes (Friend) 47miles
Day 4 Llanidloes to Dolgellau (YHA) 52miles
Day 5 Dolgellau to Criccieth (B&B) 42miles
Day 6 Criccieth to Holyhead 64miles

It was my first proper tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. Gave me the bug and I then did LEJOG over 14days a year later!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I did it a few years ago in four days: Cardiff-Erwood (between Glasbury and Builth Wells); Erwood-Machynlleth; Machynlleth-Criccieth; Criccieth-Holyhead. But if you've got the time, take it easier, the scenery's marvellous and there are plenty of places to stop.

It's a brilliant ride - up until a month ago I'd say it's the best I've ever done. Now I think the Pennine Cycleway pips it to the post, but Lon Las Cymru's still a marvel, and I'd like to do it again. Cardiff-Criccieth is all good; north of Criccieth it's a bit more samey and you could leave this bit out if you're not bothered about completing the whole thing, though Caernarfon's obviously lovely and the Menai Bridge is magnificent.

If you go for the all-inclusive holiday, make sure the bike is good - there's some pretty taxing climbs. The one up from Aberllefenni (Snowdonia) is one of only two on the NCN where I've had to get off and push; and I agree with wobblychainring that I wouldn't want to do the climb out of Machynlleth if heading south - it's from sea level to the highest point of the route in one continuous gradient. It's a great downhill!

There are a few rough tracks, too, especially in the Brecon Beacons and one little bit in the upper Wye Valley with a very, very muddy forest track. That said, it was the wet, gravelly surface on the Lon Las Menai section (Caernarfon-Bangor) that my bike disliked the most!

Definitely buy the Sustrans maps. As Tail End Charlie has posted the signage is pretty good (except on Anglesey), but having the confidence of the maps helps greatly. You won't need any additional OS maps if you have these. (If you have a Garmin GPS, you can even load OpenStreetMap onto it and get the route highlighted - see http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/osm/ for the map.)
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Well, after some thought about the holiday package. I think the price is a bit much on the steep side, probably get a decent tent instead. So I'm looking for some recommendations about tents suitable for cycle-touring, one I had in mind was a Robert Saunders Jet-Packer Plus or better still Hilleberg Atko 8)

I would prefer to have my own bike for long distance touring, can't trust these hired bikes. Saying that the package stated that Trek bikes get issued.

I have the guide book, but probably need the maps which I will get at the York Cycle Show in June.

The Pennine Cycle way is a good route, I did from Dent to Berwick upon Tweed.