Lon Las Cymru (Welsh E2E)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Asdace

Lon Las Cymru (Welsh E2E)

Post by Asdace »

I fancy doing the Lon Las Cymru next year and this is the Welsh End to End. I have 2 things in mind, either camping or bb, or a tour guided holiday. The latter is priced at £600 for 8 nights, but only does average 30-40 miles a day, but it does include bb, bike (hired) luggage transfer, back-up, lift back to train station, maps. This does seem very good or maybe camp, which will be cheaper and more flexible.

anyone done the route.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i havent done the route...but i live just over the border of wales!
.....slightly welsh accent at times!lol :D

didnt realise they did an E2E in Wales!! sounds fun tho

i dipped in & out of wales today on a 50mile ride...very nice landscape :)
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I've been to Wales once and that was walking in Snowdonia, what a smashing place it is. That is one the reason's why I would love to go back to Wales, but cycling (ofcause)
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

in my opinion...i think if youve got the cash to spare...why not?

you only live once...you might aswell enjoy life!

ps im planning a LEJOG...but il be roughing it!...if i was a millionaire it'd be B&B's all the way :D :D :D ...tis the dream...
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I wish you luck in your Le-Jog trip, I was going to do it next year. But I'm bit unsure at the moment, still Wales would be nice to do.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

im still a little unsure...purely about my fitness levels & abilities?!?! but well see

at least if your only doing 30-40miles...its not too taxing

allows you to take it nice & slow...so you can enjoy the scenery...& the pubs :D
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Well, I'm at the tender age of 51, 52 in August :lol: :lol: :o back in my younger days (listen to Grandad here :lol: :lol: :? ) I thought nothing of doing 60/70 miles a day for a fortnight. That's my worry about the guided tour holiday, would I cope with the 30/40 miles a day for 8 days. still guess plenty of time for a couple of welsh beers and rarebit :lol: :lol: :P
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

would you be doing it on your own or with a partner??

i always find that when i cycle with a friend or relative i spend that much time talking...that i dont even notice the miles clocking up!
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I make a error with the link, the price I quoted was for the self-guided tour and not for the guided tour, in which the price is £795 :shock: http://www.droverholidays.co.uk/self-cycling.html

If I could get some information about camping along the route, I would do that.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Which ends are which in Wales?

I intend to visit Caernarfon on my Grand Tour, and pop out of South Wales down the Wye Valley. Sort of E2E(W).
Mick F. Cornwall
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Both ends of the Lon Las Cymru start/finish Holyhead to either Chepstow or Cardiff. The last stage going south to Chepstow is from Abergavenny, via Liandewi Rhydderch, Bettws Newydd, Usk, Shirenewton and Chepstow. There are 5 climbs with longest and steepest being 750ft after leaving Usk Valley up through Wentwood Forest.

Caernarfon is on the Lon Las Cymru route going south to Porthmadog, Dolgellau, Machynlleth, Lianidloes, Builth Wells, Abergavenny and Chepstow. The Cardiff route go's from Builth Wells to Brecon and to Cardiff via the Taff Trail.

Sounds a interesting ride.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

Asdace wrote:Both ends of the Lon Las Cymru start/finish Holyhead to either Chepstow or Cardiff. The last stage going south to Chepstow is from Abergavenny, via Liandewi Rhydderch, Bettws Newydd, Usk, Shirenewton and Chepstow. There are 5 climbs with longest and steepest being 750ft after leaving Usk Valley up through Wentwood Forest.

Caernarfon is on the Lon Las Cymru route going south to Porthmadog, Dolgellau, Machynlleth, Lianidloes, Builth Wells, Abergavenny and Chepstow. The Cardiff route go's from Builth Wells to Brecon and to Cardiff via the Taff Trail.

Sounds a interesting ride.

Abergavennys a very nice little town...well worth a short stop! :D
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Why do you think that because you are coming up to 52 you cannot manage 30/40 miles a day for 8 days?
It is only 3 to 4 hours riding if you average 10mph .
vernon

Post by vernon »

ianr1950 wrote:Why do you think that because you are coming up to 52 you cannot manage 30/40 miles a day for 8 days?

I think he meant could he cope with the pedestrian pace.

I think he's got a LEJOG or two in him. The longer the ride is left, the harder it will be to complete....

I still maintain that providing a rider does not go racing off in pursuit of unrealistically high daily mileages and/or average speeds then a LEJOG ride is within reach of a lot of folk. It's a received wisdom that it's a particularly challenging thing to do. Of course it's in the interests of folk seeking sponsorship to 'big it up' but it's a perfectly manageable thing to do for those of average fitness.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Asdace wrote:Well, I'm at the tender age of 51, 52 in August :lol: :lol: :o back in my younger days (listen to Grandad here :lol: :lol: :? ) I thought nothing of doing 60/70 miles a day for a fortnight. That's my worry about the guided tour holiday, would I cope with the 30/40 miles a day for 8 days. still guess plenty of time for a couple of welsh beers and rarebit :lol: :lol: :P
vernon wrote:
ianr1950 wrote:Why do you think that because you are coming up to 52 you cannot manage 30/40 miles a day for 8 days?

I think he meant could he cope with the pedestrian pace.

I think he's got a LEJOG or two in him. The longer the ride is left, the harder it will be to complete....

I still maintain that providing a rider does not go racing off in pursuit of unrealistically high daily mileages and/or average speeds then a LEJOG ride is within reach of a lot of folk. It's a received wisdom that it's a particularly challenging thing to do. Of course it's in the interests of folk seeking sponsorship to 'big it up' but it's a perfectly manageable thing to do for those of average fitness.

Thank you, vernon for putting matters straight. Yes, what I really meant was, could I cope with 30/40 mpd. Just I'am used to doing 50/70 mph and 30/40 did worry me a little bit, sitting in tea-room, pubs. I don't think I'm ready for that lifestyle yet, Maybe the Bike Adventure camping trip would be up my street.