What preparation & training for a 1200-1300 mile tour ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PHolds1959

What preparation & training for a 1200-1300 mile tour ?

Post by PHolds1959 »

Next year I'm taking on a solo tour. It'll cover around 1200-1300 miles. I'll be camping for the most part. Please has anyone any tips for training, motivation, riding in continuous bad weather etc. Anything that you think should be taken on board would be gratefully accepted. I've done trips of around 450 and 600 miles before, but this is significantly further. I expect to take around 30 days, I'm hoping to achieve 50 miles (or thereabouts) per day. I think this is achievable. But someone out there may think differently.
Last edited by Graham on 18 Jun 2019, 3:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
ANTONISH

Re: What preparation & training for a 1200-1300 mile tour ?

Post by ANTONISH »

If you can ride 50 miles a day for a few days comfortably I can't see any reason why you won't be able to do 50 miles a day for a month.
Keeping going in rain if you are camping may be a drag but if you can dry your kit out - I suppose most camp sites have some sort of drying facility.
Cycling rain gear needs to be researched and tried out to your satisfaction. There has been a thread on the pros and cons of capes recently.
Having said that I no longer camp because several continuous days of rain, putting up a wet tent, drying out and repeating the next day is something I no longer want to do.
Apart from making sure everything is mechanically sound and regularly cycling I don't think you need any special training.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Preparation - just do as much cycling as you can fit in. Simple!
My experience of long trips is of gradual enfeeblement over the first few days but gradual improvement thereafter, until by the end you are as fit as a flea. Plan for a rest day. Carry as little gear as you can. Don't have front panniers if it's at all hilly - swinging the weight as you go up a hill can be tiring, but no prob coming down or level.
As well as your top waterproof have some light weight waterproof trousers - they protect against wind chill even if everything is already wet. Life saver if you are not moving much, or simply slow and tired near end of the day
Distance - depends how old and fit you are. I did LEJOG age 60 with full camping gear and not shortest route (just over 1000 miles). Did average 75 miles a day which was hard work. 50 would have been quite leisurely! Fitness improved so that last day I managed 100 (Lairg to JoG).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'd be interested in knowing your route and the time of year for your trip before commenting. The talk of continuous bad weather is a bit worrying and would certainly make any tour far more demanding, mentally and physically.
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Also consider staying in airbnb or couchsurfing, or hostels if weather is bad. Nice to have a warm bed, and dry tent for the day after. Cosider a few rest days on your journey too, smell the roses etc.
Hope to be cycling the Velodyysee in september, about the same distance I guess.
hamster

Post by hamster »

It all looks totally doable. Ride enough beforehand so that you can comfortably cover 60 miles unladen.
When touring I like a slow day every 5-7 when I do less mileage (say 30) to rest a little.

Of course, severity depends on how heavily loaded you are, climate, altitude and terrain. I'm assuming riding in Europe not the Himalayas or Andes.
hufty

Post by hufty »

wearwell wrote:...Don't have front panniers if it's at all hilly - swinging the weight as you go up a hill can be tiring, but no prob coming down or level....

I tour with a four pannier set up and I've no idea what swinging the weight means or what this effect is. If you need/want front panniers, use front panniers. If anything they keep the front end down on sharper gradients.

Having done a few tours in Scotland and Norway I take a different view about wet tents and clothes. I don't see what the issue is about a wet tent - stuff it in a pannier wet in the morning, put it up in the evening. A damp inner will soon dry out. Re clothes, I would work on the assumption that you won't be able to dry them it's just a bonus if you can. So have stuff that is okay to wear when wet which for me is merino wool tops and socks, cycle sandals, Buffalo mitts. IME waterproof gloves and waterproof socks are a pain - they keep water in just as much as they keep water out so once they're wet they can stay wet for days.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
hamster

Post by hamster »

Agreed about wet tents. I still don't get why people put tents in panniers.
Roll it up, the inner kept dry by being on the inside of the groundsheet. Strap it on the top of the rack. The worst that happens is that the outside stays wet; the inside of panniers stay dry.
whoof

Post by whoof »

hufty wrote:
wearwell wrote:...Don't have front panniers if it's at all hilly - swinging the weight as you go up a hill can be tiring, but no prob coming down or level....

I tour with a four pannier set up and I've no idea what swinging the weight means or what this effect is. If you need/want front panniers, use front panniers. If anything they keep the front end down on sharper gradients.

I've ridden through the Alps, Pyrenees and over Mont Ventoux with front panniers. I'm currently doing a tour of Devon and Cornwall and haven't seen a lot of flat. Also don't know what swinging is or why it's the tiring. I've used Carradice panniers on a Blackburn low rider and Ortleib rollers on a Tubus low rider.
There might be reasons for not using them but I can't see that this is one of them.

To the OP in terms of riding I think you are already there. Mrs Whoof has never toured for longer than two weeks, until now. She set off from the most Southern point in Spain in April and has got as far as Denmark. She will get to the far North of Norway in August doing about 50 miles a day.
ossie

Post by ossie »

whoof wrote: I'm currently doing a tour of Devon and Cornwall and haven't seen a lot of flat.

You probably haven't seen a lot of sun either....are you camping, its just sodding miserable out there .
whoof

Post by whoof »

ossie wrote:
whoof wrote: I'm currently doing a tour of Devon and Cornwall and haven't seen a lot of flat.

You probably haven't seen a lot of sun either....are you camping, its just sodding miserable out there .

I have been doing some camping. First Saturday and Sunday, Barnstaple to Okehampton and Okehampton to Cawsands were pretty good. The morning to Polruan was OK as well. Stayed there a couple of nights and it was showery and pretty cold. I was planning to stay at the Lizard but the forecast meant a change of plan. I'm from West Cornwall so have been with relatives for a few days. Looks ok for the journey back up.
ossie

Post by ossie »

whoof wrote:
ossie wrote:

I have been doing some camping. First Saturday and Sunday, Barnstaple to Okehampton and Okehampton to Cawsands were pretty good. The morning to Polruan was OK as well. Stayed there a couple of nights and it was showery and pretty cold. I was planning to stay at the Lizard but the forecast meant a change of plan. I'm from West Cornwall so have been with relatives for a few days. Looks ok for the journey back up.

Well played. I'm in Dorset and its been bloody miserable these last two weeks, as you say cold at night and I was thinking I wouldn't like to be camping in it. It looks to be settling down a bit , best of luck..
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

PHolds1959 wrote:Next year I'm taking on a solo tour. It'll cover around 1200-1300 miles. I'll be camping for the most part. Please has anyone any tips for training, motivation, riding in continuous bad weather etc. Anything that you think should be taken on board would be gratefully accepted. I've done trips of around 450 and 600 miles before, but this is significantly further. I expect to take around 30 days, I'm hoping to achieve 50 miles (or thereabouts) per day. I think this is achievable. But someone out there may think differently.

Really some more info would be helpful.
I'm assuming the daily mileage and topography you plan to do is similar to what you did previously? If so, it should be no problem. If not, you might want to get some practise in!

Did you tour solo previously or is that part new for you? Touring solo is different to a duo or group. A kindle is a great way to pass an evening alone, especially if the content is relevant to where you are.

The "continuous bad weather" thing makes me nervous. From personal experience camping 4 nights in a row in the wet is about my limit, especially if accompanied by cold weather. No matter how careful I am, everything becomes gradually wetter. Where are you going? And when? Furthermore, bad weather slows me down. Couple that with a tight schedule and the resulting stress leads to a serious drop in enjoyment. Buses/trains etc can be a great way to avoid the worst of daily foul weather, get out of it totally and keep you on schedule.

Motivation?
On longer trips I've always had places I wanted to visit. Ironically, I've often found the places I discovered along the way were often more enjoyable than the preplanned places.
Language can be an issue too. Sometimes after a crappy day it's therapeutic to laugh about it with someone else or just to be distracted by someone over food or a beer. Again, knowing where you're going would be helpful.
Allow time for stopping/catching up/enjoying the moment. Nothing worse (in my opinion) to coming across that perfect view/beach/river/place and having to rush past in service to some preplanned schedule.

As for if you can achieve it? Nobody knows that. You're the best master of that.

Best of luck!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

hufty wrote:

Having done a few tours in Scotland and Norway I take a different view about wet tents and clothes. I don't see what the issue is about a wet tent - stuff it in a pannier wet in the morning, put it up in the evening. A damp inner will soon dry out. Re clothes, I would work on the assumption that you won't be able to dry them it's just a bonus if you can. So have stuff that is okay to wear when wet which for me is merino wool tops and socks, cycle sandals, Buffalo mitts. IME waterproof gloves and waterproof socks are a pain - they keep water in just as much as they keep water out so once they're wet they can stay wet for days.

Wearwell's experience is the same that I have. Front panniers may hold the front down but IME they have a steering effect which I have to constantly work against.
Obviously you are hardier than myself - I wouldn't enjoy several days of camping in wet weather - but whatever floats your boat as they say.
I've got some neoprene waterproof gloves that are ok - but a pair of the heavy duty black "marigolds" with a pair of track mitts under work well and they won't be wet the next day.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I think if you have already done trips of up to 600 miles, 1200 is not that much different. You already know about packing and riding with kit ( I assume).
Don't plan to cycle everyday, or have some 'get out of trouble' plans. So if you have a particularly bad day you can stay put, or cut a day short. Have some places you like to visit as motivation..... ie churches/cathedrals, castles, museums, nature reserves/ bird watching etc so you are not just riding for the sake of it but have some specific goals to ride to.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells