Breskins Ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
timmitchell

Breskins Ferry

Post by timmitchell »

I have one day in Belgium / Netherlands. A ride to Hull and over night on the ferry to Zeebrugge and a 140 k trip round Zeeland via the Breskins cycling ferry.

A few questions.

What time to bikes disembark the Hull Zeebrugge ferry.

What does the weather have to be like to stop the Breskins cycling ferry from running?

I have a route in mind in Zeeland but if the weather is bad has anyone got a 100k route through into the Netherlands that has some nice coffee stops?

Has anyone used route.nl. Is it free?

Bedankt!

Tim
yutkoxpo

Re: Breskins Ferry

Post by yutkoxpo »

timmitchell wrote:I have one day in Belgium / Netherlands. A ride to Hull and over night on the ferry to Zeebrugge and a 140 k trip round Zeeland via the Breskins cycling ferry.

timmitchell wrote:What time to bikes disembark the Hull Zeebrugge ferry.

No idea. My experience in Rotterdam was within 30 minutes, but a large group of motorcyclists certainly slowed down the official/immigration/security control.
timmitchell wrote:What does the weather have to be like to stop the Breskins cycling ferry from running?

The same kind of weather that will stop you cycling. It's a pretty big & robust ferry.
timmitchell wrote:I have a route in mind in Zeeland but if the weather is bad has anyone got a 100k route through into the Netherlands that has some nice coffee stops?

Hmmmm coffee or "coffee"? Doesn't matter!- Can't help you sorry. Just be careful - lots of water in Zeeland means lots of small ferries.
timmitchell wrote:Has anyone used route.nl. Is it free?

It is free for limited use. I used to use it a lot but have stopped in favour of https://cycle.travel/map. It never once made a route without messing up at least once with the knoopunt numbers - not a problem if you've downloaded the gpx. (But that was the same with others, too!)
It also crashed at Easter (I think) meaning any routes stored online were inaccessible for the downtime.