Way of the Roses.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
old_skooler

Way of the Roses.

Post by old_skooler »

Hi.

I'm looking to do the Way of the Roses on Friday Morecambe to Bridlington weather permitting.

How is the signage along the route? Would I need to print out a route on some paper or do you think the signage will be good enough?

Can anyone recommend some quiet cheap campsites along the route.

Is there anywhere I should definitely avoid? I've read that clapham tunnels are bad and to totally avoid the centre of (I think) York.

I will be riding with a fully loaded hybrid bike tent and all.

Cheers.
keyboardmonkey

Re: Way of the Roses.

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Signage is largely good. However, signs can get knocked - we went so far along a track that opened onto a field before retracing our steps - and overgrown vegetation had us backtracking once or twice.

I know someone who rode with a group that avoided the centre of York by taking the A road(s). Not nice. He rode another WotR and much preferred the riverside route and change of pace. Our momentum was certainly slowed by going through York - not sure if it was inadequate signage or us just being a bit rubbish - but it’s the route I would take again.

Beware of the descent in to Pateley Bridge.

Enjoy :-)
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I rather enjoyed the bit through York, pot of tea in front of the Minster! Signage is generally pretty good, but I also had the Sustrans Map with me (which I thought was very good BTW). I don't think you have to go through the tunnels anymore there is an alternative bike path now (though I don't think it is particularly good). If you are planning on camping in Bridlington, be aware that many of the sites have some sort of family camping policy, which seems to be aimed at avoiding boozy groups, but which also seems to mean that they don't welcome "single sex groups" even ones that consist of one old bloke on a bike (at least this was the advice I got from the Tourist Information when I asked about camping), all seems odd to me. Oh and the final stages near to Brid seems to involve crossing the railway line a few times over various sorts of "foot crossings" which can be fun with a fully loaded bike!

It's a really nice route. I did it a few years ago, riding out from home (near Leeds) and then back from Brid to make it a full circuit over a week.
videoman

Post by videoman »

Just reading the guide book now with a view to cycling it soon and look forward to hearing how you go on.
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Be prepared to push through the Clapham tunnel and get dirty shoes. The bits before and after more than make up for it. Signage in Nidderdale is good. Looks like you'll have some good weather for it
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

HarryD wrote:Be prepared to push through the Clapham tunnel and get dirty shoes. The bits before and after more than make up for it...

I rode this route three summers ago and, although my recollection of parts is a little fuzzy, I can’t remember any inhospitable tunnels.

There was a stretch of what looked like a relatively new basic cycle path alongside a main road. Could this have been made available since the WotR’s original route in order to avoid the Clapham tunnel section?

Anyway, going east after York there is a bit of track that might be a muddy mess after a downpour. It was dry and not a problem when three of us did the route over two days on ‘winter’ bikes with 23/25mm road tyres.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

keyboardmonkey wrote:There was a stretch of what looked like a relatively new basic cycle path alongside a main road. Could this have been made available since the WotR’s original route in order to avoid the Clapham tunnel section?

Yes - exactly that.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
old_skooler

Post by old_skooler »

I'd like to do this in two day but not sure fitness will allow it. Can anyone recommend some campsites that are quiet if I was to attempt a two day job.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Honestly I think the combination of doing it in two days and camping may not be a good one. Personally I'd take longer and enjoy the route and the overnight camping. If you do want to do it in two days I'd be inclined to ditch the tent etc. and travel lighter. But obviously up to you! I did the main route over 4 days and camped at Burnsall, Linton-on-Ouse and in a pub beer garden somewhere around Driffield! I could probably have pushed on to the end rather than stopping around Driffield, but I liked the pub and I could meet up with some friends!

The camp site at Linton-on-Ouse was quiet and is probably around halfway, but that first half is pretty hilly!
1982john

Post by 1982john »

I did it last year and found the signage to be as good as anything in britain. Had back up on phone just in case and only used it a couple of times.

For me it's the best short tour we have - out of the ones I've done.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I have done it in two days, a very long hilly 100 mile day 1 to York and an easier day 2. The first 50 miles have by far the biggest hills. So yes it’s possible but three days would nicer carrying a tent, especially if you follow every turn.

I’d not set off on a tour without a map no matter how good the signage. It is well signed but you’d then have no way of choosing routes on the hoof.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
keyboardmonkey wrote:There was a stretch of what looked like a relatively new basic cycle path alongside a main road. Could this have been made available since the WotR’s original route in order to avoid the Clapham tunnel section?

Yes - exactly that.

Cheers.

old_skooler wrote:Hi. I'm looking to do the Way of the Roses on Friday Morecambe to Bridlington weather permitting...

So what’s the verdict? Do tell.
old_skooler

Post by old_skooler »

OP here.

I tried this a month ago and failed. It was my first proper tour and I took way too much gear and the first 40 miles of the route killed me. The hills were just soul destroying. With the amount of gear I had it was difficult to even push my bike to the top of some hills. I got to Austwick and camped over hoping that a good sleep would revive me but unfortunately the wind had changed over night so instead of being behind me it was now against me and I still had many many hills to get over. At first I decided to try to get home via train but at the station I decided to carry on so I got a train to Skipton and camped an hour away from there near Bolton Abbey. Unfortunately the weather started to change for the worse so the next morning I got up early to pack the tent up and headed off home. I got the train from Skipton to Lancaster and then rode back to Southport from there. TBH I was glad really as I was just over-loaded and my tent (Phoxx I) was too tiny and cramped. It was a learning curve I can tell you that.

So on Monday I am trying again but this time when I get to Lancaster I will get the train to Skipton and start from there. I've bought a bigger tent and jettisoned a lot of gear that was not needed from my panniers. Hopefully this time I will be more successful.

I take it once you get to Pately Bridge the hills are not so bad from there?
Last edited by old_skooler on 20 Jul 2019, 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the report.
Very honest of you.
Quite an achievement taking a too small tent and being too overloaded.
Will follow your progress with interest - top marks for your determination.
What's the new tent?

By the way i don't have a pic of my heavily loaded bike _ would be too embarrassed to show my lack of packing control.
Sweep