Reducing pack size for credit card tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ANTONISH

Re: Reducing pack size for credit card tour

Post by ANTONISH »

If you shave your head you won't need a comb. :mrgreen:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If you're going to take spare spokes, a Fibrefix seems to make sense: one of them can cover the potential three different sizes of spoke you would need (front, rear ds, rear nds).
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:Regarding bathroom stuff, nobody needs shaving foam. It is not necessary for shaving. I have been shaving for at least three decades without using it, having discovered on a cycle tour that shaving without it is as easy as shaving with it. You just have to wash your face first, which allows water to soak into any bristles and soften them. Then a hint of soap in a splash of water over the shaving area.

Doesn't work for me, so I carry a finger-sized sprayer of shaving oil. I can post the brand if anyone's interested.

Opening poster isn't carrying shaving foam.

I always carry sunblock, bug spray and antihistamine-cortisone cream (for if the bugs get you anyway).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Another list making me feel guilty again :lol: I wonder if I am irresponsible as I don’t take the half of that. I have never ever carried cables, chain links/ tool or a first aid kit although I’ve wipes which I could clean a wound with. The reasoning being the only time I broke a chain I was 800 yds from home ( probably assembled badly). I’ve never had a cable break on me , and thankfully don’t need medication.
Deodorant. For a couple of years now I’ve been making my own ( coconut oil, almond oil, Patchouli oil. Yes I’m from a hippy era) recent tour in Hebs that’s all I took. Use it as deodorant, lip balm, after shave, and a bit of lube around the saddle contact area if required.
Another thing which reduced my pack size was recent, late to the party I know, conversion to merino. You really can wear this stuff for days without smelling as well as being toasty warm.
I only carry one bottle but always have a flask in the other holder. Let’s you have that coffee later on or keeps water cold for a top up.
If you want to carry lights and spokes I would. Fixed to the bike they aren’t taking up packing space.
The glaring omission for me anyway is a couple of clothes pegs clipped to cable outers. Weigh nothing yet so useful not only for washing but an impromptu route sheet clipped on.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

mnichols wrote:
rualexander wrote:Spare spokes not necessary if you have decent wheels to start with.
Overshoes?
Deodorant?

Might have to agree to disagree on the spokes. Have seen a broken spoke end the tours of 3 different people over the years. I've broken a few myself over the years, but carrying a spare made this an inconvenience rather than a tour stopper

In 30 years of cycle touring (maybe 50,000 miles), I've had a broken spoke once, and was still able to ride the bike long enough to get to a bike shop for repair.
You'll need to add cassette removal tools to your list if you need to replace a drive side rear spoke.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Bmblbzzz wrote:If you're going to take spare spokes, a Fibrefix seems to make sense: one of them can cover the potential three different sizes of spoke you would need (front, rear ds, rear nds).

Would this be easier to fit roadside than proper spokes? Will it work for all wheels?
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

mnichols wrote:
Would this be easier to fit roadside than proper spokes? Will it work for all wheels?

Here's one of a few vids out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF8R7psdtN4

I'm far from an ultralight tourist, but I am intrigued by the ultralight tourist.

I very much appreciate the time you've taken to make your list.

The best of luck to you and a request to come back with details of your tour and a review of what you brought/used/missed.

P.S. If anyone who camps has a similar list I'd love to see it! :D
PH

Post by PH »

Looks like a well thought through list, doesn't look anything like mine, but then why would it. Two comments
I'd take two tubes, but use light ones, maybe even a size down depending on the tyre size.
Fiberfix spoke - before you leave the real spokes at home in favour of it, you might want to read Chris Juden's less than favourable review, the best he can say about it is that it's better than an empty hole.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default ... -rides.pdf
horizon

Post by horizon »

Paulatic wrote:Another list making me feel guilty again :lol: I wonder if I am irresponsible as I don’t take the half of that. I have never ever carried cables, chain links/ tool or a first aid kit

That is what was so interesting about the OP's list. It's tiny compared to mine and yet there were things on that list I would never take! So apart from the fact that the OP is challenging everyone to get the pack weight/volume down, it's brought up some interesting points.

NB My comments about the medications were just reflections and observations.

Last point: the OP has described his pack in terms of volume (10 litres). Is this significant? I'm guessing at .5 kg per litre - is weight not a more important indicator? Could someone else's 10 l pack weight less than the OP's?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PH wrote:Looks like a well thought through list, doesn't look anything like mine, but then why would it. Two comments
I'd take two tubes, but use light ones, maybe even a size down depending on the tyre size.
Fiberfix spoke - before you leave the real spokes at home in favour of it, you might want to read Chris Juden's less than favourable review, the best he can say about it is that it's better than an empty hole.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default ... -rides.pdf

In that case it sounds like a waste of time, money and space.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

This is a must read for the lightweight mob.
http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/
I don't go by volume, but weight. I can usually manage to B&B tour with about 5kg. I've changed that slightly after being caught out a couple of times with no accommodation or tho only bed available being ridiculously expensive. I now carry a cheap lightweight tent and sleeping bag. 2kg all in. Worth it for the piece of mind. I personally would take deodorant. I stink after a day in the saddle! My wife tells me I have the very strong "male" smell at times if I'm not careful and the deodorant does not only go under the armpits. :wink: I agree with the Merino. Very effective also bar of soap for everything including shaving. It can work as a deodorant as well. Rubbed on the areas and allowed to dry,
pwa

Post by pwa »

One good thing to be said about spare spokes is that the spokes themselves are as easy to find a space for as anything. You just find a suitable tube on the bike and tape them to it. But you also need whatever tools it takes to make use of them if the need arises, especially something to get the cassette off.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bigjim wrote:[...] I personally would take deodorant. I stink after a day in the saddle! My wife tells me I have the very strong "male" smell at times if I'm not careful [...]

A frequent discussion on touring/hiking groups elsewhere is whether some people can't smell their own smells, sometimes including flaming rants about people still needing to wash their damn merino because it does not last as long as they think without starting to get gamey!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I'm not sure if the list includes clothes to be worn while riding, otherwise I would only carry a single spare shirt and shorts. For leg cover knee warmers take up no space and make a big difference. I would also take cycling trousers for off-the-bike wear and omit the cycling longs.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

horizon wrote:Last point: the OP has described his pack in terms of volume (10 litres). Is this significant? I'm guessing at .5 kg per litre - is weight not a more important indicator? Could someone else's 10 l pack weight less than the OP's?

I mention it in terms of volume because that's the way that you buy luggage, in this case a carradice saddle bag. If I had more stuff I would need to carry it in a different way