Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Post by mnichols »

Never done it before, but I'm taking my bike on a South Western Train to Waterloo on Thursday

I'm booked on, what do I need to know if anything?

I'll be getting on the train on a small unmanned regional station - how will I know where to put my bike? will I need a lock, etc?

Can it just go on whole? In Japan I had to put in a bag,I also remember some odd rules in France and Italy
st599_uk

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Post by st599_uk »

Each train operating company has their own rules.

SWT has bike restrictions in place during the week in morning and evening peak times.

If your bike is allowed on the train, then you need to watch the train as it comes in, 1 or 2 doors will have a bike logo. Next to this door is a space for bikes, and a strap to fasten around the bike. You sit next to your bike. There's no place to lock the bike.

If your train gets replaced by a rail replacement bus (as mine did yesterday), you'll need to ride the bike home.

Which line and what time?
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

st599_uk wrote:Each train operating company has their own rules.

SWT has bike restrictions in place during the week in morning and evening peak times.

If your bike is allowed on the train, then you need to watch the train as it comes in, 1 or 2 doors will have a bike logo. Next to this door is a space for bikes, and a strap to fasten around the bike. You sit next to your bike. There's no place to lock the bike.

If your train gets replaced by a rail replacement bus (as mine did yesterday), you'll need to ride the bike home.

Which line and what time?

From Warminster around 5pm on Thursday.

So I don't sit in the main carriage? I sit with the bikes?
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The bike area is just some fold up seats next to the toilet with a bike logo and 2 velcro straps. (Unless it's a new SW train which no longer has a toilet).

It's in the main carriage. There's no special bike carriage or guards van.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

st599_uk wrote:The bike area is just some fold up seats next to the toilet with a bike logo and 2 velcro straps. (Unless it's a new SW train which no longer has a toilet).

It's in the main carriage. There's no special bike carriage or guards van.

ok, thanks
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Do intercity 125 trains still have guards vans?

I was thinking in the rear engine carriage?

I'm travelling on cross country Leeds to Liverpool on Friday.

Cheers James
whoof

Post by whoof »

Jamesh wrote:Do intercity 125 trains still have guards vans?

Cheers James

Most of not all places don't have Intercity 125s
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48327739
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Jamesh wrote:Do intercity 125 trains still have guards vans?

Cheers James
The 225s do. Need to reserve a bike space in them though.
A novice learning...
dim

Post by dim »

One of my client's is Cross Country ....

A week ago, I asked a driver what the rules are regarding bicycles on their trains as I'm planning a bike trip to Ireland

His reply was that he is not 100% sure, but its best to pre-book your ticket as he thinks that only 2 bikes are allowed on the train .... if you dont pre book , it's up to the guard if he will allow your bike on the train

he said that he was not 100% sure, so best phone before planning your trip
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Is it a 125 or 225 from Leeds to Penzance?

Found this for 125 trains.

viewtopic.php?t=30060

Have bike tickets so not unduly worried

Cheers James
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

mnichols wrote:
which line and what time?

From Warminster around 5pm on Thursday.

Assuming it is a through service to Waterloo, do you have a reservation?

While most South West services are non-reservable, cycle reservations are required on that route.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

jgurney is right.... and not only are cycle reservations mandatory on that SWR line BUT YOU MUST GET THEM AT LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE.

The other posters in the thread are thinking of the other SWR lines/stations where no booking is required. I know because I made the same mistake!! If you are going via Salisbury you need to book your bike in well before travelling.

SWR are one of the least friendly Train Operating Companies regarding late bike booking. GWR let you book it in on the day of travel..so are my "go to" TOC for travel to the west.

Read the SWR stuff on the link and get your bike reserved...otherwise you are going to end up remonstrating with the guard..and more than likely left behind.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/tra ... ith-a-bike
Attachments
2019-06-25 18.12.53.png
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks...my bike is booked on
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

mnichols wrote:Thanks...my bike is booked on
Excellent !!! Sorry about all the exclamation marks and capitals in my post.. I almost missed my ferry to France because of the SWR "via Salisbury you have to book 24 hour in advance" rule and had to rebook via Reading instead at the last minute - via the much more reasonable GWR train operating company. I am still a bit hacked off with SWR after the experience. Have a great holiday mnichols and I hope it all goes smoothly.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

zenitb wrote:
mnichols wrote:Thanks...my bike is booked on
Excellent !!! Sorry about all the exclamation marks and capitals in my post.. I almost missed my ferry to France because of the SWR "via Salisbury you have to book 24 hour in advance" rule and had to rebook via Reading instead at the last minute - via the much more reasonable GWR train operating company. I am still a bit hacked off with SWR after the experience. Have a great holiday mnichols and I hope it all goes smoothly.

Thanks