Page 3 of 3

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 10 Jul 2019, 7:00pm
by pete75
mnichols wrote:
graham bowers wrote:I'm wondering what happens if you have a reservation, but the bike spaces are taken by bikes that are not reserved? I made a journey with a folder recently and spoke to another cyclist on board who'd just hung his bike up without a reservation, so no vacant bike spaces remained.

I think you would have to find the guard, show your reservation and they would have to sort it out. If someone is on without a reservation I think they would be asked to get off the train


Is it likely the guard is going to walk all the way down the train asking each passenger if they've put a bike on without a bike reservation when only a very few minutes are allowed for each station stop.

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 10 Jul 2019, 9:43pm
by mnichols
pete75 wrote:
mnichols wrote:
graham bowers wrote:I'm wondering what happens if you have a reservation, but the bike spaces are taken by bikes that are not reserved? I made a journey with a folder recently and spoke to another cyclist on board who'd just hung his bike up without a reservation, so no vacant bike spaces remained.

I think you would have to find the guard, show your reservation and they would have to sort it out. If someone is on without a reservation I think they would be asked to get off the train


Is it likely the guard is going to walk all the way down the train asking each passenger if they've put a bike on without a bike reservation when only a very few minutes are allowed for each station stop.



On the other hand you don't really have a problem until the guard turns up, unless it's a packed train. I'd just stand there with my bike

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 11:50pm
by mjr
pete75 wrote:
mnichols wrote:
graham bowers wrote:I'm wondering what happens if you have a reservation, but the bike spaces are taken by bikes that are not reserved? I made a journey with a folder recently and spoke to another cyclist on board who'd just hung his bike up without a reservation, so no vacant bike spaces remained.

I think you would have to find the guard, show your reservation and they would have to sort it out. If someone is on without a reservation I think they would be asked to get off the train


Is it likely the guard is going to walk all the way down the train asking each passenger if they've put a bike on without a bike reservation when only a very few minutes are allowed for each station stop.

Yes, if the train company does not manage the stations because delays caused by the loading of unreserved bicycles are paid for by the station company that let them on! :twisted:

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 12 Jul 2019, 10:10am
by pete75
mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mnichols wrote: I think you would have to find the guard, show your reservation and they would have to sort it out. If someone is on without a reservation I think they would be asked to get off the train


Is it likely the guard is going to walk all the way down the train asking each passenger if they've put a bike on without a bike reservation when only a very few minutes are allowed for each station stop.

Yes, if the train company does not manage the stations because delays caused by the loading of unreserved bicycles are paid for by the station company that let them on! :twisted:

Yes but how do they know which station let them on and would anyone with an unreserved bike be fool enough to admit it?

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 12 Jul 2019, 4:28pm
by brianleach
I had this on a Cross Country service from Sheffield to Winchester last year.

I stood the whole way moving my bike from side to side as necessary at each station.

Apparently I became famous as each guard called ahead to his replacement to let them know I was on the train!!

I gave my seat reservation to another passenger as it was obvious I wouldn't be needing it.

It is luck of the draw however as this year I used the same company from Winchester to Manchester Piccadilly en route to the Cycle Touring Festival in Clitheroe and the booking system worked perfectly (except having to remove panniers etc)

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 10:12pm
by Slowroad
Used LNER to get from Newark to York last Friday, and back again on Tuesday. Bit of an odd experience! At Newark a member of staff helped me get my bike and luggage on the train - I had to take the panniers off and hang it up. All was well at York, the terminating station. At York on the way back, it was an older train with bike stands in an old-style guard's van. I was several carriages away, through First Class, so had to get back to the nearest exit in plenty of time. Got off and went to the locked guard's van, but no-one came to unlock the door - I hung onto the handle and shouted till eventually they saw me and came running! I do hope that they wouldn't have driven off with me there... Fullsome apologies though, and all blamed on the staff at York, who should have let them know...
But how come LNER make it so complicated when on other intercity services you can just get on and off by yourself? I guess it's the rolling stock they have. But I shall look at other routes in future if I can!

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 14 Aug 2019, 11:21pm
by mjr
Slowroad wrote:But how come LNER make it so complicated when on other intercity services you can just get on and off by yourself? I guess it's the rolling stock they have. But I shall look at other routes in future if I can!

LNER are phasing out their stock with vans at the moment. They will probably be gone by next year. Anglia are about to phase out their vans too. As you note, the advantage is getting oneself on/off but the disadvantage of the new trains is fewer bikes per train: 5 max on LNER, 6 on Anglia.

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 15 Aug 2019, 6:05pm
by Slowroad
Slowroad wrote:
But how come LNER make it so complicated when on other intercity services you can just get on and off by yourself? I guess it's the rolling stock they have. But I shall look at other routes in future if I can!


LNER are phasing out their stock with vans at the moment. They will probably be gone by next year. Anglia are about to phase out their vans too. As you note, the advantage is getting oneself on/off but the disadvantage of the new trains is fewer bikes per train: 5 max on LNER, 6 on Anglia.

One of the staff did comment about the new trains, said that they would mean hanging up bikes, and that there is only room for bikes with narrow dropbars, not mountain bkes, etc.

Re: Bikes on Trains UK - what do I need to know

Posted: 15 Aug 2019, 10:05pm
by Sweep
Slowroad wrote:One of the staff did comment about the new trains, said that they would mean hanging up bikes, and that there is only room for bikes with narrow dropbars, not mountain bkes, etc.

If that's true, that makes them useless.