Hadrian's Wall cycle route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
adamedwardsteather

Hadrian's Wall cycle route

Postby adamedwardsteather » 24 Jun 2019, 8:12pm

Next week I'm off along the Newcastle to Carlisle section of the path using bikes and camping to visit lots of the forts and the wall. The aim is to max out the history with slow rides as this will also be my other halfs first cycle camping trip. History is the bribe.

Suggestions for good places to eat along the route appreciated. Other advice also. Thanks.

st599_uk

Re: Hadrian's Wall cycle route

Postby st599_uk » 24 Jun 2019, 8:35pm

adamedwardsteather wrote:Next week I'm off along the Newcastle to Carlisle section of the path using bikes and camping to visit lots of the forts and the wall. The aim is to max out the history with slow rides as this will also be my other halfs first cycle camping trip. History is the bribe.

Suggestions for good places to eat along the route appreciated. Other advice also. Thanks.
The views along the Steel Rigg sector on a nice day are great.

The Twice Brewed Inn in the village of Once Brewed used to be good. Haven't been in a while. It's near the Once Brewed Youth Hostel.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Jun 2019, 8:44pm

I cycled route 72 last month between Whitehaven and Newcastle and camped. Great site at Melkridge Tilery just below Once Brewed. Just turn up. £5 full English on site.

Good place to eat for morning coffee or lunch is Lanercost Priory. The Sill at Twice Brewed is also good.
John

Cycling and recycling

adamedwards17

Postby adamedwards17 » 27 Jun 2019, 9:23pm

Many thanks.

Twice Brewed in looks doable from the Brockalee site we have booked and Lanercost from the site at Banks.

Adam

adamedwards17

Postby adamedwards17 » 14 Jul 2019, 10:49am

Ride done. Campsite at Brockalee, Barron Mill, the best. Banks site great for minimalist almost wild camping. Bistro en Glaze at Wylam excellent. Twice Brewed in good too. If in Hexham Little Mexico is good for a cheap tasty fill up. Barron Mill shop and cafe is very good for cake as is Cafe Number 6 in Corbridge. Otherwise, expect to push up hills if you are travelling with camping kit.