Cornwall & Devon Coast & Borders

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Cornwall & Devon Coast & Borders

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I originally planned the route to do all non cul-de-sacs...................892 miles.... :shock:
Trimmed it down to do the 656 :)
Last course day seven actually worked out at 41 miles not the planned 56, started to falter at 21.30 on home ground and missed out last few beaches with a fair switch back, I don't feel bad about missing the last few.

There appears to be no official coast route for devon and cornwall.
I tried eventually to use cycle routes, there are cycle routes and there are sustrans shoved down rocky footpaths :?
A few green lanes after dark, a few beach cycle routes with those corrugated honeycombed concrete tiles (I can only assume the fist size holes are meant to fill with sand?)

Despite the 23 mmm types supporting 105 kgs in all and no maintainance on route (never repumped after 120 psi start) and the terrain..no hitting rims no flats no damage to tyres :)
As comfortable as my tourer with 35 mm tyres.

I will try to clean up the route and post files in case any other mad person would like to have a go :P

Thanks for the mention, much appreciated.

Seriously not a ride I will complete again, TBH the scenery does not make up for the hills and the hedged lanes, unlike moor rides your views are hidden allot.
Does not help if you are on your own with no fixed destination to settle especially in the dark.

P.S.
Much gear to modify / leave at home, solo makes carrying tools etc a hamper.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Morzedec

Re: Cornwall & Devon Coast & Borders

Post by Morzedec »

Hello, not really concerning this thread, but some water/food advice for those of you intending to cycle in France next year.

In many places, and in country areas especially, shops might well be closed on a Sunday - and, depending which region you are in, on the next day, the Monday, as well.

Stock up on a Saturday, just to be sure.

Worth remembering that water can always be found in a cemetery (a tap for watering the flowers), and that carrying a bag of dried fruit, which weighs little, can at times be a life-saver.

France is a friendly place, so if you get absolutely stuck go knock on a door; the occupants will 99% take pity on you and offer to help (the next problem is to stop them offering a three-course meal and a bed for the night!). I've tried this in the UK just to see what reaction I would get, and it sort of works if the occupant is elderly - but I've had my fair share of words equivalent to 'go away' as well.

Congrats to 'Ankling', on a feisty ride, and advice for wild camping in the picture.

Happy days,
Attachments
Cycling shed.jpg