Seeking information about the Grossglockner Pass

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Seeking information about the Grossglockner Pass

Post by raybo »

I may have a chance for a second bike tour this year. Yesterday, I put together a possible route from Bolzano to Vienna through (more of) the Italian Alps. One option for crossing from south to north Austria is the Grossglockner Pass, one of the highest passes in Europe. It sounds brutal--10% grade for much of the climb! I would do it in 2 days coming from the south (Lienz).

Has anyone done this ride? I have checked CGOAB and there are a few there (most seem to come the other way) and they all did it but it appears to be very hard. I'm trying to assess if I can make it on a "lightly" loaded touring bike. There are other ways to get over/around these mountains.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Vorpal

Re: Seeking information about the Grossglockner Pass

Post by Vorpal »

It's a popular route among Austrian cyclists. I found it to be very busy with motor traffic, and afterwards was told that it is better to do early in the morning or in the evening. I guess that's the main advice I would offer.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic road if you aren't afraid of hills. I walked a couple of bits. The views are worth the work to get there.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
whoof

Post by whoof »

Myself and Mrs Whoof rode from Vienna to Venice about four years ago and went over the Grossglockner North to South. Mrs Whoof was riding a Dawes touring bike and carrying a bar-bag. I had a 1990s mountain bike converted for touring with front and rear Ortleib roller panniers, a bar bag and a tent. We were at the base around 10 -11 am and at our campsite mid-afternoon.

I don't recall it being hard just a lovely ride. From what I remember the gradient was fairly even, if you find a pace you are comfortable with this makes it easy to stay at the same pace and keep an even rhythm. The scenery is fantastic.

Cars, motorcycles and coaches have to pay (it's a lot 26.50 euros for a motorbike) but cycles are free. This official site recommends that you only cycle during certain hours before 9.00 am or after 3 pm. We ignored this as we didn't want to start in the middle of the night and when we got over the top we had to get down and on to our next camping spot.

https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/moto ... s/cyclists
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Did it once afternoon till midnight, and it was fantastic, alone on the mountain with no smelly cars around. Took a bit longer than expected because when you think you're on the summit there is another climb and another climb. Running out of food halfway up didn't help either;) Don't know if it is still possible to ride in moonlight now the pass is turned into a gated facilty
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

A little bit of nostalgia?
Reading these comments brings back happy albeit distant memories.

Back in 1959 my father ( a widower on one year) took my 15 yr old sister and myself and twin brother at 11yrs old touring in Austria. Along with many many passes some on some very rough roads the highlight of the trip was cycling over the Glockner.
We started at ferleiten nr Fusch and then took two wonderful days over the top down into Heiligenblut and Winklern. I still look on the particular ride as the greatest ride in my life. I remember staying in a mountain hut nr Hochmais on the northern side and looking out of the tiny window in the attic where we slept at the Grossglockner range bathed in orange moonlight. I awoke the others to witness this scene. That image stays with me till today.

Even though the road was opened officially I believe in 1934 you can imagine that a cycling family with two 11yr old twins on their treasured Viking cycles was a very rare sight. In terms of difficulty it was steep all the way but were we tough little boys and my sister no less. I feel that the grandeur and majesty of the place helped the legs round each glorious hairpin of which there are many. The final descent into the view of the church at Heiligenblut made up for all the sweat.
When I was cycling along the river Inn with my wife who is Austrian herself a couple of years ago we met an Austrian cyclist who when told that I had cycled over Glockner at 11yrs old was dumbfounded and said that I was then an honorary Austrian!!!

Of course these days 60 yrs later the amount of traffic has increased a hundredfold but my advice to anyone is to go for it . One of the best.
Anthony
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I did a n-s crossing in 2016 on my carbon 'touring bike' - well my sportive bike with panniers and bar bag! :lol: I set off from Zell am See @ 8.00am and landed at my b&b above Lienz @ 17.30pm, I would guess at the pace I was at it would be similar going the other way. There are fairly regular food stops going across - at least 6, I think I made 3 such stops on the pass plus a rest at the main touristy bit at the north summit.

I think the early start advice is to give you plenty of time to make the crossing, I cannot imagine anyone setting off after 5pm to start and I think that you may have misread that as don't ascend after 5 is what I remember on the guide board.

If you are going over on a weekend, its also worth checking that its open - it can be closed for 'track' days. It is a private road which afaik has always been 'gated' although there is no restriction on access for bikes/walkers.

From the south, when you reach the tunnel at Hochtor you have done most of the serious climbing, there is a short climb a bit further on but between them is quite rolling. Obviously you then get a long, mostly lazy descent to the valley floor. Make sure you don't miss the visitor centre, in a crook of a bend @ 2km into the descent.

A two day crossing isn't possible afaik, there is no camping or accommodation on the crossing itself. There is a hotel at the glacier but that's on a side spur before the actual pass proper. However there are options at either end - take it steady and its easily dayable - the s-n being easier as the start in Heiligenblut is already at a good height after the ride up the valley. (just a point, Lienz is in the next valley, there is a small extra pass to get you onto the GG approach)

Whilst most people I saw on that occasion were on 'race' bikes, on a previous crossing by bus I did see people going over on Dutch style Trekking bikes complete with kitchen sink!

My advice would be to overnight close to Heiligenblut and set off early, you should easily make it as far as Zell by tea time. (if you are camping the Zell site is just a km off the end of the pass road.)

Having done a couple of bike trips through the area, well its a great area with plenty to see and do on and off the bike. 8)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
raybo

Post by raybo »

Just to finish with this thread, I did ride over the Grossglocker Pass in August, 2019. I was riding south to north. I started in Lienz and rode to Heiligenblut and the next day went over the pass.

The section just past Lienz was a very hard climb up the side of the Drava's valley. A few switchbacks and several long, steep straightaways. Once over the pass, it was very pleasant riding up to Heiligenblut, where there is a serious climb to reach.

From Heiligenblut, it is a long, steep climb for 12 (?) miles with only a short downhill section for a rest. I rode it on a Tuesday. There wasn't much car or bus traffic but way too many loud motorcycles for whom the fun seems to be blasting around blind corners as noisily as possible. I saw many bike riders, as well. Some, but not most, on e-bikes. On the way up, I was passed by a 71 year old woman (I'm 67) on an e-bike like I was standing still (I may have been!). I was shocked that someone could "ride" that fast up that kind of grade, e-bike or no.

I stopped frequently to rest, sometimes after little more than 100 feet (2 hundredths of a mile!). I walked often, especially on the second climb as my legs and lungs couldn't always sustain turning the pedals. But, I made it and it was worth doing. I have no idea how people do this in one day or start in Zell am See and make it all the way to Lienz in one sustained ride. My hat is off to anyone who has!

There are many numbered switchbacks. The first top (Hochtor) is at swichback 18, should this information be of any use to anyone.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

raybo wrote:Just to finish with this thread, I did ride over the Grossglocker Pass in August, 2019. I was riding south to north. I started in Lienz and rode to Heiligenblut and the next day went over the pass.

The section just past Lienz was a very hard climb up the side of the Drava's valley. A few switchbacks and several long, steep straightaways. Once over the pass, it was very pleasant riding up to Heiligenblut, where there is a serious climb to reach.

From Heiligenblut, it is a long, steep climb for 12 (?) miles with only a short downhill section for a rest. I rode it on a Tuesday. There wasn't much car or bus traffic but way too many loud motorcycles for whom the fun seems to be blasting around blind corners as noisily as possible. I saw many bike riders, as well. Some, but not most, on e-bikes. On the way up, I was passed by a 71 year old woman (I'm 67) on an e-bike like I was standing still (I may have been!). I was shocked that someone could "ride" that fast up that kind of grade, e-bike or no.

I stopped frequently to rest, sometimes after little more than 100 feet (2 hundredths of a mile!). I walked often, especially on the second climb as my legs and lungs couldn't always sustain turning the pedals. But, I made it and it was worth doing. I have no idea how people do this in one day or start in Zell am See and make it all the way to Lienz in one sustained ride. My hat is off to anyone who has!

There are many numbered switchbacks. The first top (Hochtor) is at swichback 18, should this information be of any use to anyone.

Hat gratefully accepted! I actually started at Kaprun at about 8.30am and got to my accommodation at Iselsberg (at the top of the Lienz switchbacks) at @ 5.00pm. The climb up the Iselsberg Pass from Winklern was a sting in the tail I could've done without!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!