Charging whilst cycling touring??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Charging whilst cycling touring??

Post by Sweep »

ConRAD wrote:
Sweep wrote:... fast charging is not a good idea for AA and AAA cells if you want them to last - does this faster charging via those USB-C ports damage/shorten the life of the cells? ...

Afaik AA/AAA cells are 1.5V and therefore NOT directly chargeable via direct 5Vdc USB-C interface.
Of course if AA/AAA cells are loaded into a suitable battery charger with a a 5Vdc interface I think there'll be no problem, the charger will take the correct current anyway.

Have no problem charging my AA/AAA batteries Conrad. I use either a variable outlet mains charger that will charge slow (better) or can charge them from my slow charging Anker powerbanks.
My question though was about faster charging powerbanks. Are there any disadvantages with regard to battery health?
I don't consider my Ankers obsolete.
Sweep
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Sweep wrote:... faster charging powerbanks ...

... actually for "faster charging powerbanks", at least at the beginning, I was referring to the property of the powerbank to recharge itself whether properly conceived, designed and so forth provided of a "faster input" like the mentioned USB-C.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes I realised that Conrad.

That you were referring to the powerbank itself charging faster.

Clearly convenient.

And I assume the reason for you calling the other powerbanks semi obsolete.

But my question remains.

Does this faster charging of the powerbanks compromise their longevity?

If so, am not interested in them.

I used to use a fast charger for charging my AA and AAAs - it trashed them pretty quickly. So not a gain.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Very simple maths shows that the majority of small capacity powerbanks, including supposed "economy" models, are appalling value for money.

I have 3 ankers - one about 21000, the other two both around 10000.

What strange maths is that?

10000mAh Anker powerbank £29.95 = £3 per Ah;
6600mAh thumbsup powerbank £5 = 75p per Ah.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:Very simple maths shows that the majority of small capacity powerbanks, including supposed "economy" models, are appalling value for money.

That's if you believe the numbers.

I tend to treat the cheap powerbanks as semi-disposable.
I won't leave my big fancy powerbank charging in a campsite loo overnight as I think the risk is to great.
But I don't mind leaving one of my cheap ones as it's only 1/10 of the price, same risk but less of a loss.

YMMV ............. :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tigerbiten wrote:
mjr wrote:

That's if you believe the numbers.

I believe them enough because I've tested the thumbsup's actual output with a USB monitor and it's close enough for the difference to be conversion losses and running the display. I also doubt Anker are advertising a lower capacity than reality.

I'm sure there are misadvertised packs out there (my veho was nowhere near its claim but I only tested it after a year so maybe it degraded) but I don't think we can make robust blanket statements covering many brands at once.

My current approach is to use a simple 2x18650 holder converter and change the branded cells when they start to drop off, which costs somewhere between thumbsup and Anker. I think I could swap multiple cells for more capacity but I suspect the holder would break sooner if opened repeatedly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Gontlib wrote:I tend to charge the phone until 100% then charge my powerbank for the rest of the day.

That's what I do, mostly.

The only drawback is that you aren't making any use at all of your charging capacity during the interval between your phone reaching 100%, and you noticing, and switching to the power bank. Occasionally the kindle has its turn too. The GPS is an Etrex, for which I take a sufficiency of pre-charged AAs (or even lithium disposable if I want to save weight).
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

EuroV5 wrote:Next month I’m cycling from London to Rome and still haven’t got my bike set how I’d like it. I want to keep my iPhone X, Garmin 820 and GoPro batteries charged while I’m cycling.

If you are using USB power to your gadgets whilst cycling, you should note that USB ports are, in general, neither waterproof not particularly robust, physically. The vulnerable point is the port in your gadget, the leads being easily replaceable.
It's not a common problem, but it could be expensive if the port on your top of the range phone fails.

The problems are that the vibration of a flapping lead fatigues and breaks the pins in the socket, or that electrolytic action in a wet connection erodes the pins away (especially likely if you manage to get a drop of sweat on the plug or socket). Vibrations are best avoided by supporting the lead close to where it plugs in to the gadget.

Mini-USB ports, as on many Garmins, are particularly vulnerable (Garmin apparently use them because they are available in a waterproof version, in terms of letting water into the GPS itself). Garmin's normal reaction is to charge about 1/3 of the new price for a refurbished replacement, as for any fault.
mjr

Post by mjr »

andrew_s wrote:The problems are that the vibration of a flapping lead fatigues and breaks the pins in the socket, or that electrolytic action in a wet connection erodes the pins away (especially likely if you manage to get a drop of sweat on the plug or socket). Vibrations are best avoided by supporting the lead close to where it plugs in to the gadget.

BBC Click were recently reporting that a computers-to-Africa project had reduced equipment failures by replacing the USB charging plugs on their tablet computers with magnetic ones because the USB sockets were the most common failure point by far. I think they were more concerned with forceful inverted insertions and dirt in the sockets than vibration, though.

Qi wireless charging pads look fairly cheap now and could be immune to vibration (as long as you strapped the phone to it) but only 70% efficient and my phone doesn't have enough space on the back for a receiver without obstructing the speaker or camera.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Sweep wrote:... my quality ankers use that charging port ...

... USB-C you mean?

Actually either ANKER* and RAV** are definitely available today in the PD-Power Delivery” version, that meaning also that they are provided of the new USB-C interface whose rating is claimed to be 30W minimum!!
*ANKER PowerCore+26800PD, **RAV Extreme 26800PD
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

mjr wrote:... I think they were more concerned with forceful inverted insertions and dirt in the sockets than vibration...

... another advantage of USB-C is that is totally reversable!!

EuroV5

Post by EuroV5 »

I will be staying at campsites, wild camping and staying in hostels. I’ve not booked anywhere so will go with the flow.
So at the minute it still a toss up between the Velocharger and the E - Werk. As long as I can keep my phone charged 100% and charge my battery pack up for the rest of the ride I will be fine.
I think i just bought the wrong one to start with and hope these other products charge better. The cheapest is not always the best option :lol:
dim

Post by dim »

for the garmin edge, use one of these with the 90 degree connection (you can get them in USB C type) but you have to get the one that allows you to charge the Garmin while it works and records your ride at the same time:

I don't have a Go Pro, but I have a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 and there is a new waterproof case that allows you to charge with external power (I'm not sure if you can use a powerbank to the cable connection but if so I will buy one (I have the normal waterproof case that is sealed and that cannot use a powerbank connector)

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:

The simple maths that uses better input data. I see lots of 5000/6000 units costing £10 or more.
If you are paying £30 for 10000 ankers you should improve your shopping. My two cost half of that. And I paid nothing like that for my 20100 unit.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ConRAD wrote:
Sweep wrote:... my quality ankers use that charging port ...

... USB-C you mean?

Actually either ANKER* and RAV** are definitely available today in the PD-Power Delivery” version, that meaning also that they are provided of the new USB-C interface whose rating is claimed to be 30W minimum!!
*ANKER PowerCore+26800PD, **RAV Extreme 26800PD

No,. Should have been clearer,. Micro usb.
Can you answer my repeated repeated question about whether faster charging of the powerbank, which you say renders my powerbanks semi obsolete, degrades the powerbank cells in any way?
If not, can anyone else?
Sweep