Train to Penzance won't take bike trailer - how else?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: Train to Penzance won't take bike trailer - how else?

Post by PH »

horizon wrote:With that in mind, he's getting it all wrong. It's the number of bikes per train on the GWR IETs that is the problem, not the luggage or the trailer or the total number of panniers.

Don't the T&C's expressly prohibit trailers? Those I've used do, though I have sneaked on a Bob Yak with the wheel off and a bit of tarp over it. The OP has already been thrown off a train for having a trailer, are you advising them to just risk it? That's something I might do on my own, but I'm not travelling with kids.
BTW - they say what trailer it is and it isn't a child trailer.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote:Don't the T&C's expressly prohibit trailers? Those I've used do, though I have sneaked on a Bob Yak with the wheel off and a bit of tarp over it. The OP has already been thrown off a train for having a trailer, are you advising them to just risk it? That's something I might do on my own, but I'm not travelling with kids.

AIUI they would take the trailer folded. Size Folded L x W x H (cm) 82.6 x 54.6 x 25.4 https://www.pushys.com.au/burley-nomad- ... ellow.html

I haven't checked with GWR to see if it is small enough but it is no longer a trailer (it should stand nicely in the luggage compartment). The OP doesn't say what they were thrown off for, the trailer, the bikes, the luggage or having children.

Having said that, the new IETs are a nightmare (a view shared by staff and passengers alike) and the whole thing is such a faff that the OP may well choose a non-train option. But four persons can take a bike each and their luggage on a train - it is the bike numbers that matter.

BTW - they say what trailer it is and it isn't a child trailer:
Sorry, I had just assumed it was a child trailer.

PS I'm interested in this thread as I have the opposite problem - Cornwall to London - and this has put me off trailers in the past, although I have probably missed my chance unless the OP finds a way.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ahardy42

Post by ahardy42 »

That cracks me up! I'm sure Mick if he's Cornish probably has his own opinion about helping more... - what's Cornish slang for Londoners??? I gather last year was a nightmare with tourist traffic blocking emergency services in villages all over the county.

Sending it by freight means having a destination near Penzance station at the other end to send it to - I do have friends in Cornwall but they are in the other direction which would put a day on the journey.

My children are 9 and 7 and will be riding - the trailer's not for kids, it's for all their clobber. We're planning a lot of other stuff between the cycling.

GWR will let me book the 4 bikes on. That part's fine. Curiously, they say that the Riviera Night Service can take surfboards in the guard's van, but they haven't replied to my email about the trailer. The night train must be a different train to the regular service, rather than the same train with some sleeping cars hitched onto the back.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109914.0

Cornish Rivera prob uses older stock 125 or 225.

I stayed at cohort hostel at St Ives which I rekon would be really helpful and would receive and pallets / parcels. You can get off at Hale and ride the 4 miles.

Cheers James
Last edited by Jamesh on 16 Jul 2019, 10:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
ahardy42

Post by ahardy42 »

We were thrown off the Ipswich train because the guard considered that the bicycle compartment had too much stuff in it, and therefore there wasn't an unobstructed gangway. There was a mini-uprising amongst the other passengers, but to no avail. The trailer was what caused the problem -at that point we had a child trailer, so technically just a big buggy. However we had folded it up and stood it in the bike compartment.
horizon

Post by horizon »

ahardy42 wrote: Curiously, they say that the Riviera Night Service can take surfboards in the guard's van, but they haven't replied to my email about the trailer. The night train must be a different train to the regular service, rather than the same train with some sleeping cars hitched onto the back.

Certainly is unless they've completed the updating. It did have a proper guard's van with loads of space. You don't need to book a bed but it won't be too long a night in the seats (old first class so not bad). You could treat yourself to a cabin. It could well be the answer and maybe a great experience for the children!

but they haven't replied to my email about the trailer.
I would keep quiet about it and fold it if you can.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

ahardy42 wrote:We were thrown off the Ipswich train because the guard considered that the bicycle compartment had too much stuff in it, and therefore there wasn't an unobstructed gangway. There was a mini-uprising amongst the other passengers, but to no avail. The trailer was what caused the problem -at that point we had a child trailer, so technically just a big buggy. However we had folded it up and stood it in the bike compartment.

Should have put it in the luggage rack but what's done is done. Were there more than four bikes?

The only two train companies to deny me boarding with a rule-compliant bike so far have been Greater Anglia (the operator at Ipswich) and its parent NS, although both of those have had more liberal guards let us on beyond the official maximum too. Southeastern hold the record for underprovision IMO, though, putting trains with only six cycle spaces on a busy port route. (I know it's not entirely their fault.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ahardy42 wrote:That cracks me up! I'm sure Mick if he's Cornish probably has his own opinion about helping more... - what's Cornish slang for Londoners???
DFLs = Down from London.
Generally, visitors are called Emmets = Cornish for ant. They swarm all over the place! :lol:

The issue we have at this house, is that deliveries of anything are problematical due to the access lane and our drive. When we request deliveries, we have to specify a small light vehicle.

We're 90miles from LE, so anyone wanting to ship something to us has to be aware of the distance as well.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I assumed it was a child trailer without checking.

The solution might still be to box/bag some bikes and take everything as baggage?

Otherwise, as others have suggested, shipping some things ahead might be the way to do it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ahardy42

Post by ahardy42 »

We will be travelling from London mid-August on a Saturday (or Friday night if we go on the night train) and returning on the last Monday of the holidays, beginning of Sept.

To get from our house in London to Paddington through London is another concern, at least if we travel to or back on a weekday. We can find generally quiet routes in London but not without some major junctions and roads and my youngest has a kamikaze streak in him :shock:

I'm going to wait a bit longer for a reply to my email to GWR, and failing that I might go down to Paddington when the night train is in the station and ask personally.

The main problem with trying to pack the trailer down small to sneak it onto the train is that it will be full! I can already imagine the expression on the faces of the railway station staff as we rock up with 4 bikes, 2 kids, 12 panniers and a full trailer.

I'm going to check out the freight services to see if they have any destinations of their own in Penzance to ship to where I can pick it up. Failing that I could ask our first campsite if they'll accept delivery. The return journey should be easy if I can sort out packing material in Penzance at the end of our trip. I'll just ship it to my home address.

@Horizon - when are you traveliing? Frequently or a one-off - and back again, presumably?

I am hoping but haven't had the time to search for it yet, that there is some sort of grassroots van sharing co-op where you can do the journey one-way by van with your stuff and hand the van over to someone else who needs it to go in the other direction. Probably a bit of a long shot though.

@Mick thanks for the offer, but you are too far east. I have cousins in Perranporth who could act as the drop but that involves getting out at Truro and going the wrong way for an hour. Actually if I'm correct they aren't even going to be there on the weekend we want to travel & pick up the trailer. Even if they were in, I'm not factoring in more than 3 hours per day cycling for my 7-year-old which I think might be pushing it anyway. I could arrange it that my girlfriend rides with the children direct to our destination at slow speed, and I zoom off to pick up the trailer at Perrenporth, but she always hates having to do the navigation on her own with kids.

Hale & St Ives might be an idea although I suspect they will be full for our peak time dates :( All those bloody DFL Emmets :lol:

We're aiming for the Lizard peninsula because it doesn't get so rammed like elsewhere in Cornwall in August. I can still picture those endless traffic queues outside Newquay which seemed to have no reason for happening or disappearing.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Maybe you have already checked but this is a suggestion based on my own past journeys. Waterloo to Exeter by SW trains then Exeter to Penzance by Cross Country. As I say I have used both of these in the past with a loaded bike but never with a trailer and both without reservations.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I presume a one-way care hire isn't an option?

When we had our late-lamented Volvo 240 estate care we could pack two adults, two children, touring and camping equipment in the car plus 4 bikes on the roof without any problem.

They don't make them like that any more :( .
horizon

Post by horizon »

LollyKat wrote:I presume a one-way care hire isn't an option?

It needn't be one way - drive down, leave the car somewhere, have a holiday, drive back. But I reckon it's a better experience by train.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bikepacker wrote:Maybe you have already checked but this is a suggestion based on my own past journeys. Waterloo to Exeter by SW trains then Exeter to Penzance by Cross Country. As I say I have used both of these in the past with a loaded bike but never with a trailer and both without reservations.

Today both require reservations: https://www.southwesternrailway.com/tra ... ith-a-bike https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/on ... d-cyclists (XC have one unreservable space, not enough for the OP)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

ahardy42 wrote:I'm going to check out the freight services to see if they have any destinations of their own in Penzance to ship to where I can pick it up. Failing that I could ask our first campsite if they'll accept delivery. The return journey should be easy if I can sort out packing material in Penzance at the end of our trip. I'll just ship it to my home address.

Parcelforce do a send and collect from depot service, though i don't know where the Cornish ones are. I've also purchased large items online that have been sent direct to a Post Office, though I don't know if this option is only available to account holders.
If you do find other services that offer this, please do post them on here, it would be of interest to me and I'm sure others.