Train to Penzance won't take bike trailer - how else?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jamesh

Re: Train to Penzance won't take bike trailer - how else?

Post by Jamesh »

I used these guys to deliver a package that I didn't have a label for.
They were beyond helpful.
It was 20kg and they were much cheaper than parcel force.

https://parcelbiz.co.uk/

They might have a depot they use down country

Might be with a try.

Cheers James
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cunobelin wrote:RADical; Design was my answer

It IS a holdall with wheels, so never had a problem with trains

[youtube]brio2QX3zTo[/youtube]

I have a (now discontinued) Carry Freedom City which is a similar sort of concept, but slightly different implementation. I've taken it on trains numerous times with no problems (including London to Penzance, but that was back in 2009 so I don't know if the rolling stock is now different). I stow it standing on end making it a bag on wheels, albeit somewhat bigger wheels than normal luggage.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ahardy42

Post by ahardy42 »

Well I've booked the train after a couple of hours of faff making sure I had the bicycle reservations. It's a Frankenstein website at GWR. I'll use Parcel Force to send the trailer ahead to the campsite where I'm staying, and am expecting it all to go wrong. Parcel Force might not deliver it and just leave it at the depot in Bodmin, but I figure if the worst comes to the worst, I can arrange redelivery and just wait for them to turn up.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Hello again, glad that you are getting sorted.
Don't underestimate your 7-yr old, and how far they can ride: I came back up through France last week and rode for a while with a family that included a four-yr old (riding their own bike) who was doing fifty km (30 miles) daily between campsites without a problem.

Whatever, have fun on your holiday.

Happy days,
Attachments
A bicycle built for - four ....png
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

RickH wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:RADical; Design was my answer

It IS a holdall with wheels, so never had a problem with trains

[youtube]brio2QX3zTo[/youtube]

I have a (now discontinued) Carry Freedom City which is a similar sort of concept, but slightly different implementation. I've taken it on trains numerous times with no problems (including London to Penzance, but that was back in 2009 so I don't know if the rolling stock is now different). I stow it standing on end making it a bag on wheels, albeit somewhat bigger wheels than normal luggage.

The beauty of the Cyclone is that with the wheels and towing arm off and in the bag, it IS a holdall with a frame at the base
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Another "cheat" is "Poste Restante"

Basically send a parcel to a Post Office, where it will await your arrival.
Pick it up, take to the cafe or pub and over lunch take out your new clothes and supplies, repack the old and send them home.... Sorted
PH

Post by PH »

ahardy42 wrote: I'll use Parcel Force to send the trailer ahead to the campsite where I'm staying,

All three of the brokers mentioned (Two by me and another by James) will get you the service from Parcelforce at a cheaper price - it's an odd business model that I don't understand - but once booked it's an identical service.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

ahardy42 wrote:Well I've booked the train after a couple of hours of faff making sure I had the bicycle reservations. It's a Frankenstein website at GWR. I'll use Parcel Force to send the trailer ahead to the campsite where I'm staying, and am expecting it all to go wrong. Parcel Force might not deliver it and just leave it at the depot in Bodmin, but I figure if the worst comes to the worst, I can arrange redelivery and just wait for them to turn up.

If it helps, I live 5 minutes walk from Truro station, so could act as a drop-off point for Parcelforce. Unfortunately I'll be away that weekend you're coming down (17th?) but there's space in my shed and I could provide directions/key code!
I also have a friend who lives 5 minutes from Camborne station, I could ask him as well.
Chris F, Cornwall
ahardy42

Post by ahardy42 »

Thanks for the kind offer, Chris - I now have confirmation from the campsite that I can send it there, although of course with no liability accepted, and I could also send it to my cousin in Porthtowan near Redruth, although if I remember correctly the hill in and out of Porthtowan is fearsome even without a trailer - and probably monstrous for a 7-year-old :shock:
ahardy42

Post by ahardy42 »

PH wrote:All three of the brokers mentioned (Two by me and another by James) will get you the service from Parcelforce at a cheaper price - it's an odd business model that I don't understand - but once booked it's an identical service.

I checked them and got some massive quotes from them or couldn't get a quote at all, but I'll try again before booking since you say they must be cheaper.
ahardy42

Post by ahardy42 »

transglobal express quoted several very expensive services again - I have a feeling the quotes are plain wrong, possibly due to a website or user glitch.

parcel2go is quoting everything at around £7 to £8 per leg which is nothing! Unnervingly cheap tell you the truth.

Parcelbiz seem to be aiming at clients based in Barnstaple - they wouldn't pick it up in London.

Just about to do a test packing run to see how much of my camping gear I can get in my trailer, and looking at the weather right now in Cornwall, hmmm.
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

ahardy42 wrote:Hi,

we're planning to do some cycling and camping in Cornwall in August. We're taking along our 2 children so no bikepacking for us - I want to take a Burley Nomad trailer as well as our panniers.

However GWR won't let us take it on their London to Paddington trains. I tried emailing them, but the statement is in their Customer Charter.

Are there any viable alternatives that people here use?

Sorry to say, cycling all the way isn't really an option :lol:

Probably after the event now, but I used to take a either Raleigh, or Ridgeback kid trailer on the train no problem, I just collapsed iit down and had it in a bag that was for underbed storage (from Ikea) then upgraded to a waxed canvas bag for motor-home-y stuff that fitted round the trailer nicely. I denied all knowledge that it was not a travel cot assembly of some kind if asked: I had the wheels in another bag, hidden.