Tap water tips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattheus

Re: Tap water tips

Post by mattheus »

Mike Sales wrote:
mercalia wrote:I think the trouble is that water in cemetaries may not be fit for drinking? or questionably so?

Where might this water be obtained? A special non-potable supply? It would surely be simply to use the local mains.
I guess it might come off the church roof. In my childhood our water supply came off the house roof.

2 weeks ago I looked for water at a local church - their supply was a water butt i.e. roof run-off. I did drink the stuff, but given the choice I'd rather drink mains cold water.

I'm not sure their is a strict definition of "non-potable" - it's a spectrum.

(some won't drink bottled water unless it's carbonated :P )
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote:
2 weeks ago I looked for water at a local church - their supply was a water butt i.e. roof run-off. I did drink the stuff, but given the choice I'd rather drink mains cold water.

)

You must have been pretty desperate?

No alternatives?

Some churches have kitchens/serving areas fitted in discreet corners.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Hopefully my post makes it clear that I think better options do exist - sometimes.

I don't think me detailing how far I was from home, or from the nearest pub, or how lazy I am, etc etc will assist the OP!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:I'm pretty sure a farmer (or whoever) could rig up a tank fed by streams/runoff/rainwater and fit a pipe with a tap on the end. If the pipe's long enough you might assume that it is mains.

Not in the Fens they couldn't!
The Highland farm I stayed at years ago was supplied from a settling tank in a stream up the hill piped down to the cottage.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:I think the trouble is that water in cemetaries may not be fit for drinking? or questionably so?

I see the "new" one at KingsCross station in London isnt marked on openstree/cycle maps

Out of interest, where is the kings cross one?

It's on the approach to the toilets (not the greatest place for it IMO but I understand it's hands-free). I think it's opposite the hairy pothead plaque. I've put it on the map, but with a fixme to check exact position.

The one just outside King's Cross was already marked.

The cemetery water I've seen that was non-potable was either obvious (tank above the tap!) or marked as such with a red tag around the tap. You can often tell it's probably mains water by the high pressure. I guess there's a small risk that the pipes may be awful, but is that worse than the risk of dehydrating?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:

I see the "new" one at KingsCross station in London isnt marked on openstree/cycle maps

Out of interest, where is the kings cross one?

It's on the approach to the toilets (not the greatest place for it IMO but I understand it's hands-free). I think it's opposite the hairy pothead plaque. I've put it on the map, but with a fixme to check exact position.

The one just outside King's Cross was already marked.

The cemetery water I've seen that was non-potable was either obvious (tank above the tap!) or marked as such with a red tag around the tap. You can often tell it's probably mains water by the high pressure. I guess there's a small risk that the pipes may be awful, but is that worse than the risk of dehydrating?

The only 3 I can find are as on the map -
kingsx.JPG

which is the restored one?
mjr

Post by mjr »

I don't understand what is meant by the restored one in this context. The newest is the one on the right, as far as I know.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote:Hopefully my post makes it clear that I think better options do exist - sometimes.

I don't think me detailing how far I was from home, or from the nearest pub, or how lazy I am, etc etc will assist the OP!

By the by, I am the OP.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:I don't understand what is meant by the restored one in this context. The newest is the one on the right, as far as I know.

thre was one that was very old out side on the street and had fallen into to disuse a depository for fag ends it was restord to celelbrate some thing or other - was reported in the BBC news how I heard of it.

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=122493

seems lke quite afew falen into disuse.
https://www.hydeparknow.uk/2018/08/15/st-pancras-water-fountain/
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:I don't understand what is meant by the restored one in this context. The newest is the one on the right, as far as I know.

thre was one that was very old out side on the street and had fallen into to disuse a depository for fag ends it was restord to celelbrate some thing or other - was reported in the BBC news how I heard of it.

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=122493

seems lke quite afew falen into disuse.
https://www.hydeparknow.uk/2018/08/15/st-pancras-water-fountain/

Well that's St Pancras not King's Cross. It's by the southeast corner of St Pancras, just north of the side entrance to the subsurface station. The stripey building on the first pic on the second link is across Euston Road. It's not yet on the map. I'll add it some time.

Drinking fountains are a constant battle IMO but very important now in heatwaves.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Dunno if it's been mentioned above, but in France all non-potable public water sources - taps, pumps & what-have-you - must carry a sign to that effect. In our village there's a horse-trough with a permanently-running spout and an old sign in German on it reading "I am so good, I can only give". A modern sign in French says "not drinking water".

Many such water sources are probably drinkable, but a sign is cheaper than making sure of it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Locations of 50 new London drinking water fountains revealed
Work starts on first wave of 100 fountains to be installed in drive to cut single-use plastics

The first of the new fountains – which people are encouraged to use to refill their own bottles – are being installed from this week, predominantly in tube and mainline train stations, shopping centres, markets and recreation grounds. Designed to withstand outdoor temperatures and all weathers, the fountains are attached to the mains water supply and feature a distinctive design with a giant blue “waterdrop” to make them easy to spot.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/18/locations-of-50-new-london-water-fountains-revealed

I guess the need for these is made even clearer by the present weather.

There are disused water fountains in various places in our towns and cities, installed by the Victorians I think. It is a pity we have only just started to see what a good, public spirited idea they were.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mike Sales wrote:
Locations of 50 new London drinking water fountains revealed
Work starts on first wave of 100 fountains to be installed in drive to cut single-use plastics

The first of the new fountains – which people are encouraged to use to refill their own bottles – are being installed from this week, predominantly in tube and mainline train stations, shopping centres, markets and recreation grounds. Designed to withstand outdoor temperatures and all weathers, the fountains are attached to the mains water supply and feature a distinctive design with a giant blue “waterdrop” to make them easy to spot.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/18/locations-of-50-new-london-water-fountains-revealed

I guess the need for these is made even clearer by the present weather.

There are disused water fountains in various places in our towns and cities, installed by the Victorians I think. It is a pity we have only just started to see what a good, public spirited idea they were.

well in those days past they were there for a different reason as made by the lady on the restored one at St Pancras St viz disease out breaks and the need for clean fresh water. Now the reason is different?

Trouble is you only have to go to your local supermarket and see people in eg London ( mainly non indigenous non white people, presumably coming from countires where the water is not reliable?) buy trollys full of bottle water to realise the water fountains wont be used by them? Thames water is pefectly all all right and in deed bettered many bottled waters for purity in a review some time ago. So people need to be educated? Maybe bottle water needs to have its price hiked up so that people will think again about bottle water - In lidl today you could buy i think 1.5l bottles at just 25p each.
Last edited by mercalia on 24 Jul 2019, 9:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:
well in those days past they were there for a different reason as made by the lady on the restored one at St Pancras St viz disease out breaks and the need for clean fresh water. Now the reason is different?

It is well known that the replacement of wells in London with piped clean water was crucial for public health.
I was thinking about those drinking fountains in a stone pedestal (typically) which are now full of cigarette butts. No doubt these were supplied from the same, clean source, but their purpose was to provide a free and public refreshment.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mike Sales wrote:
mercalia wrote:

It is well known that the replacement of wells in London with piped clean water was crucial for public health.
I was thinking about those drinking fountains in a stone pedestal (typically) which are now full of cigarette butts. No doubt these were supplied from the same, clean source, but their purpose was to provide a free and public refreshment.

well not so the ST pancras one, or so the lady in charge of restoration suggested wasnt just for refreshment so I suspect true for all the ancient victorian ones anyway - There also used to be water troughs for horses all around also for a different reason.