Coast of UK?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cunobelin

Re: Coast of UK?

Post by Cunobelin »

Yvonned wrote:Josie Dew wrote a book about her cycling around UK called “Slow Ride Home”

I met her during that ride
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I don't do straight lines.

There is always a pub, church, interesting road to distract me.

I had no moral issue if I went 10 miles inland, and rejoined the route further up.

There will also be places where "Coast" is debatable.

In many cases, you will need to detour inland to navigate an estuary or other wet obstacles.

If it is tidal you may argue it is still coast
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Has no one mentioned Mark Beaumont's around Britain cycle yet for preparation on his world record attempt?

He did something like 3500m in two weeks. The videos are on youtube if you want to get an idea.
whoof

Post by whoof »

1982john wrote:Has no one mentioned Mark Beaumont's around Britain cycle yet for preparation on his world record attempt?

He did something like 3500m in two weeks. The videos are on youtube if you want to get an idea.

I managed 3500 m in about 10 minutes today.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Yvonned wrote:
Josie Dew wrote a book about her cycling around UK called “Slow Ride Home”

I met her during that ride

So did I! I was camping at Verryan in Cornwall - but with a motorbike at that time... we chatted about the moped (or scooter?) she'd ridden when she had knee problems.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

There's also Mike Carter's "One Man and His Bike"
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Jamesh wrote:Has anyone ridden the coast of UK??
Was thinking I could do the local coasts (yorkshire) as day trips say as far a Edinburgh or Inverness then the NC500 ditto day trips to bangor,
Bangor to Fishguard - Bristol.
Bristol - Barnstaple - lands end
Lands end - Plymouth - Exmouth.
Exmouth - Ringwood. (Parents)
Ringwood - Brighton
Brighton - london
London - Great Yarmouth - Boston
Boston to hull.

I rekon 25 days over a couple of years?

Or am I crazy!!

Cheers James

I have cycled the whole of the coast. There have been a number of threads over the years on this.

As tigerbiten says, you need to decide what you mean by cycling round the coast. In 25 days you could just about do a circuit of mainland Britain, but you wouldn't see that much of the coast itself, except in the resorts. A circuit of Britain done like that is about 3,000 miles.

My aim was to see all of the coast, so I rode 8,000 miles down every road that leads to the coast and a number of tracks. So I got to see and enjoy the better parts of the coast that most coastal cyclists miss out on.

Very happy to discuss coastal cycling with anyone who wishes to cycle the whole way round.

One point on your list - you would be cycling anti-clockwise, which means when on a road by the coast you would be on the far side away from it, which would be hugely disappointing if you actually wanted to enjoy being by the sea.

One suggestion - take your time over it and enjoy the experience of actually being by the sea.
randonneur

Post by randonneur »

Check out Audax UK, They used to have a permanent event for the coast of Britain, can"t recall the distance, but was based on 200km daily.
COYB

Post by COYB »

There's an excellent book titled " One man and his bike " the author is Mike Carter. I read it last year and I couldn't put it down. Informative yes but so funny. You can get it on Amazon .