Recording your tour - too many gadgets already!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Recording your tour - too many gadgets already!

Postby Tangled Metal » 23 Jul 2019, 1:59pm

On family holidays by bike we struggle to keep things charged up. No dynamos, no decent charge packs or solar panels. But we never seem free to hang around a charging point to charge things up.

So we somehow keep our two mobiles with enough charge for 2 weeks use. We don't have anything else with us to keep charged. Well I have my edge 25 which gets one day before it's out of charge for the fortnight.

My question is what charging free methods to record your journey? I'm thinking a map, pencil for the route marking and a simple speedo for distance. A journal to record details in. Alternatives of an electronic nature might be walking GPS with AA batteries or a rechargeable GPS with plenty of means to keep charged (never managed that yet).

Any recommendations? Full luddite through to full technophile options gratefully received. Preferably with 2 days to set up! Last minute, that's me!

Seriously this is for the future. Cheap and effective suits me better (I'm tight).

al_yrpal

Re: Recording your tour - too many gadgets already!

Postby al_yrpal » 23 Jul 2019, 2:18pm

Osmand+ in record mode with the screen switched off.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 23 Jul 2019, 2:33pm

al_yrpal wrote:Osmand+ in record mode with the screen switched off.

Al

That will still need it’s gps powering which needs some of your phone battery.
Lezyne mega xl gives 48 hours of use but it would cost you £150. You could buy a few power packs out of that and still have change. I bought one in LIDL this spring for £15 did me a weeks phone and cycle computer (lezyne super 20 hrs)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

mjr

Postby mjr » 23 Jul 2019, 2:38pm

Paulatic wrote:

Al

That will still need it’s gps powering which needs some of your phone battery.

The actual demand varies wildly by phone and you can set the recording interval in OsmAnd (or I think AAT which I now use). I'd give it a go as a fairly cheap solution available in the time frame.

As well as the widespread battery packs, it is also possible to get AA-to-USB chargers, which are hideously inefficient and wasteful but at least offer a way to buy charge without mains, solar or dynamo.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 23 Jul 2019, 2:46pm

Tangled Metal wrote:My question is what charging free methods to record your journey? I'm thinking a map, pencil for the route marking and * .A journal to record details in.
*I removed this: ... a simple speedo for distance.

Zero charging, minimum kit. Does the job - Nick Crane would have coped fine with the above!

(and the map doubles for navigation : ) )

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 23 Jul 2019, 2:54pm

I got a tesco 8000mAh (if that's right) or perhaps a 10k for a tenner that seemed OK. Forgot it so bought a Willis 6k one and it was useless. Took ages to charge and drained too quickly to be accurate with the juice it held but worth using.

The Tesco one is OK. Gets hot though. I don't trust the rating though. My phone had 3000 battery but the Tesco pack will only do 1.5 charges. Plus it takes more than overnight to fully charge. At times. Also I have this sneaky suspicion that once you've charged your connected device the pack doesn't switch off but leaks charge.

Whatever the case I still don't trust them as viable solutions for 2 weeks. So far I'm thinking I have devices for a third of the trip then nothing or I have a low tech solution. I've got two Evans fwe wired computers ones hooked up to my partners bike. Cheap and cheerful. Pen, map and journal might be easier.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 23 Jul 2019, 2:58pm

mattheus wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:My question is what charging free methods to record your journey? I'm thinking a map, pencil for the route marking and * .A journal to record details in.
*I removed this: ... a simple speedo for distance.

Zero charging, minimum kit. Does the job - Nick Crane would have coped fine with the above!

(and the map doubles for navigation : ) )

Or make the map in your journal by memory and free drawing. That's the ultimate old school!

I did think map measurer (easier than string) instead of speedo.

BTW when did a speedo become a bike computer? Was that the advent of electronics rather than those large mechanical speeds that I though was very modern on my mates bike in primary school. The ones that only needed brass colouring to look very steampunk styling!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Jul 2019, 3:14pm

Tangled Metal wrote:My question is what charging free methods to record your journey?
My first JOGLE in 1994 ..............

I had a Cateye Mity8 bike computer - it had a CR2032 battery in it - and was driven off a wheel magnet of course.
I had torn out pages from a road atlas and some crib sheets, but most of all, I had a notebook and pen.
I took notes, I have a good memory, I took photographs, and I wrote everything down including distance, average speeds, daily distances and times, and overall total distance.

Later, I could recreate the ride in my head, and write a complete essay on the whole trip. I still, even today, still have that very notebook.

GPS devices make it all so much easier. You don't have to charge them all, as some - the best ones? - take AA batteries.
I agree about the Edge 25, as I have an Edge 20. It'll go for maybe seven hours max.
Mick F. Cornwall

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 23 Jul 2019, 3:39pm

Mity 8? I've still got a Mity II somewhere. It was new out and a cycling mag had it as best by cycle computer. It was the best out back in those days. Cost £20 iirc and I thought that extravagant.

Mind you I had spent £450 on a new road bike so it was nothing really. It was 30 years ago and I had a good summer job the year before. My pay that previous summer only broke into three figures per week with overtime every day. Most I got was £118 in one week. So bike and computer cost me 4.5 weeks pay. I only worked 6 or 7 weeks I think.

IMHO the Mity II was smaller, neater and more user friendly with functions that work and were useful than the modern cheap tat versions you can buy from various sources. The Evans FWE wired computer is approximately double the size of mity 2

I think I need a new computer. A cateye one I think.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 23 Jul 2019, 3:51pm

My recoding is simple.

Small diary or notebook.

For each day:

Date
Destination
Distance
Hotel and price
Very occasionally I add other info if exceptional.

Seeing as I very rarely look back at these and often struggle to even keep this minimalist approach up to date, it does for me. It also provides enough info to help anyone following a similar route (for me being able to get accomodation is the main consideration for any day of a tour, the rest just happens).

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 23 Jul 2019, 4:22pm

Simplest is probably a pen and paper map.

After that it's something like a Garmin Etrex 20/30 run off a couple of Duracell AA batteries.
That the only way I can think of for getting +2 weeks mapping without mains/solar/dynamo power.
Going that way you save your phone charge for when you need it, but I'd also carry a cache battery to recharge it as needed.
But you'll need to learn the quirks of Garmins route finding and how to input a route by hand.
And it will probably go through roughly a duracell a day, which can add up on a long tour.
That's how I did my first long tour.
I've since got dynamo and solar panel to charge things up as I go along.
Unless you're wild camping, you can always ask at a campsite office if they can recharge a cache battery overnight.
That's the easiest way of recharging one unless you're leaving at the crack of dawn.

Luck ........ :D

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 23 Jul 2019, 4:35pm

simonhill wrote:Small diary or notebook.

For each day:

Date
Destination
Distance
Hotel and price
Very occasionally I add other info if exceptional.
Plus food of course. That is the limit of my recording as well, just so that I can keep track of expenses. Discarded not long after getting home. Just for my interest, I have sometimes roughly (very roughly) marked on a very large scale map the route of some of my longer trips such as channel to the Med and back. This modern idea of logging and blogging leaves me cold. To friends I describe many of my trips as "another routine tour".

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 23 Jul 2019, 4:48pm

For my Jogle, I just used a cycle computer and wrote a daily journal of where we had been and what we had seen. I then transferred the journal and distances to a blog - see below. I reset my trip distance each day to get the daily distance and my wife didn’t so she had the cumulative distance on her cycle computer. Paper maps with the route highlighted with a highlighter pen. This was before I bought my first GPS.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Jul 2019, 5:09pm

TrevA wrote:For my Jogle, I just used a cycle computer and wrote a daily journal of where we had been and what we had seen. I then transferred the journal and distances to a blog - see below. I reset my trip distance each day to get the daily distance and my wife didn’t so she had the cumulative distance on her cycle computer. Paper maps with the route highlighted with a highlighter pen. This was before I bought my first GPS.

Yep.
Spot on! :D

We had a real killer climb through Gunnislake to Drakewalls .......................

Live there, do the hill most days! :D :D

Live in Gunny now, but lived in Drakewalls for a dozen years. Been in the area 35years and cycle most days, though less as I've got older.
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 23 Jul 2019, 5:39pm

Al

A little power pack is all it takes to keep a phone topped up. Recording my track with the screen off or full voice guidance seems to take very little power.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!