Recording your tour - too many gadgets already!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: Recording your tour - too many gadgets already!

Postby PH » 24 Jul 2019, 10:43pm

For DIY Audax where I like the reassurance of a backup to the Garmin, I carry a simple GPS logger, I can't find the specific model, but the one below looks like a later version of it. Says battery life is 13 hours, but on mine I can change the recording frequency and increase it to around 30 hours. My reckoning is you'll get around 5 recharges from a lipstick battery pack, so more than enough for a couple of weeks touring between charges. You won't have access to any data till you connect it to something else, but when you do it'll be as good a record as you could want.
I've never used the feature but you can also mark locations with it, for instance when you take a photo.
https://www.conrad.com/p/gt-750-blueoot ... ger-372738

Thehairs1970

Postby Thehairs1970 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:54pm

Why not use a simple cycle computer for distances and a 'logbook' to record distances and details down? I used to use a logbook on my boat and recorded details like weather, distances etc and carried this over when started cycle touring.

Herts Audax

Postby Herts Audax » 24 Jul 2019, 11:11pm

Turn the phones off and only switch on if you want to use them. Batteries will easily last your two weeks.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 25 Jul 2019, 5:45pm

I have a power pack that does about 10 charges of the Garmin. The Garmin does about 12 hours on a charge. so over a week in one small pack. As for the phone, well it last weeks. Turn it on to report in every evening them switch it off. I take few photos now as almost every where you go has already been photographed so why duplicate? Poses of me on top of a hill are not what I want.

pq

Postby pq » 30 Jul 2019, 11:50am

I have GPS records of lots of my tours but never look at them. What I do value are the write-ups I did on Crazyguyonabike - I also enjoy sharing them with others. Time consuming to do, but well worth it, I wish I'd done more, there's no record of most of my rides.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pq
One link to your website is enough. G