Rail Lines - Past and Present - Cornwall

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Rail Lines - Past and Present - Cornwall

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 8 Aug 2019, 10:31am

hi
There is history at that place in Tintagel.
But it does not coincide with the King Arthur.
Been there once probably never go there again, certainly wouldn't wanna pay again.
Pleasant enough to look around but you won't get much out of it other than that.
Ugly bridge

On Cornwall Too much emphasis on the bloody pasty.
My mum used to make pasty in a tray, Potato meat and onions, not that packing they put in that so-called Cornish pasty, Swede and grey stuff?
In Cornwall recently At some places it's pasty pasty or pasty and all that £3.95.
If you took away that Cornish pasty made by ginsters There wouldn't be much else to look at.
I had to settle for a pasty once recently because there wasn't much else on the menu to eat less than a fiver.
Image Attachments
658767EC-A6C3-4F75-A6B6-F9772AF23B1E.jpeg
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Oct 2019, 12:17pm

I've started! :D

Did the local line I know well, plus the closed bits too.
Tamar Valley Line.

From home, round to Harewood and Okeltor Crossing and Calstock, then Calstock Station. Up the hill to Sandways Crossing, a couple of underbriges and Gunnislake Station ........................... and the old station site now a housing scheme and out onto the disused portion.

Out via Chilsworthy Halt, Latchley Halt, and Lucket Station and a few dismantled bridges, to Callington Kelly Bray yard ...........now Beeching Park - an industrial estate!

Some interesting photographs.
Lucket Station past and present.
Luckett-Station-in-1963.jpg
Lucket Station.jpg

There's a few gates like this around and about. The old rail bed is the other side of this gate running left/right.
Gateway.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 3 Oct 2019, 12:31pm

Hi,
Are you cycling on the railway beds, or just the roads adjacent to.
I would've thought a lot of the old railways if not now are used are on private land?
I'm just interested if they are cycleable If any of us want to do them in the future.

Oh I just reread your opening post.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Oct 2019, 2:02pm

As far as the closed branch lines are concerned, I only know our local one intimately. What the others are like, I have yet to investigate.

As far as the closed bits of the line Gunnislake to Kelly Bray is concerned, the old rail beds have been variously built on or driveways to new buildings, let alone across fields and private land.

Here's the OS map.
Gunny Station on the right, and Kelly Bray on the left. You can see the old railway.
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 14.01.02.png
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Oct 2019, 2:21pm

ChrisF wrote:
Mick F wrote:I was looking at a 1960 OS map west of Cornwall earlier. The line left Launceston (ancient capital of Cornwall) and went Egloskerry, Tresmeer and Otterham, before heading south to Camelford St Kew, Wadebridge and out to Newquay.

Camelford Station, after closing as a station, was used as a cycling museum for a number of years - I visited it once (must have been about 15 years ago) but it has sadly closed. I don't think the owners were very business-aware as very few people knew of its existance.https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/attractions/british-cycling-museum-closed.htm

In 1946 travelling on a Priv (Dad was a driver) my Dad took us all to Trewarmet where we enjoyed Trebarwith Strand every day. We arrived at Camelford from London and took a taxi to the Menhenicks farmhouse where we stayed. The food was amazing after being on rationbooks for years! We had the beach to ourselves every day tide allowing. We went ferreting in the evening so there was plenty of rabbit on the table, pork too and oddles of bacon and butter. For two weeks it was heaven. :D Some 15 or so years ago I did visit the cycle museum in Camelford station it was well worth a visit.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Oct 2019, 2:33pm

On my cross country route from Cully to Tiverton I pick up the old Tiverton branch line into the town, its right next to the Grand Western Canal. Its about a mile or more of a flat wide path in a canopy of trees loved by Tiverton dog walkers. A bridge still stands over it. Its a pleasure to spend a pleasant few minutes in Tiverton having a jaw with old Ron at his proper old fashioned bike shop. He stands an old steel rimmed Raleigh on the curb outside which tells you that he's open!

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 4 Oct 2019, 8:46am

A couple of Google views of Latchley Halt.
We know the lady who lives in the old station, and the people who live down the old railbed on the opposite side.
In the old days, there was a level crossing there.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52524 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52524 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 4 Oct 2019, 10:01am

Hi,
Second link won't open Mick.

PS your image of your bike leaning against a metal gate, I bet that sign is worth a bit :)

rjb

Postby rjb » 4 Oct 2019, 1:46pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
PS your image of your bike leaning against a metal gate, I bet that sign is worth a bit :)

Seems to be a standard penalty for not shutting the gate, a fortune can be made here if you collect the penalty. Heres one on the West Somerset Railway at Crowcombe station.

DSCF0007.JPG
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 4 Oct 2019, 3:15pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Second link won't open Mick.

Second link works for me.
Here's a screenshot of the image.
Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 15.10.45.png
Just off shot, there's an incline sign on the left by the house ...... just a bit out of shot.

There's loads of gates like that on the disused parts of the railway. Galvanised steel. There's even one on the entrance to the station.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52545 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Nov 2019, 6:34pm

The story so far.
Done the Tamar Valley Line past and present Calstock to Kelly Bray.
Done the eastern end of the Cornish Main Line from the Brunel Bridge over the Tamar to east of St Germans.

I have a route made out for the Looe Valley Line from Liskeard to Looe ....... plus the next bit of the Cornish Main Line from St Germans as far as Dobwalls.
I'll do those this week.
Map.png
Mick F. Cornwall