Manchester Airport / Trans Pennine Trail

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Kapalasa

Manchester Airport / Trans Pennine Trail

Post by Kapalasa »

In September I will unfortunately be ending my bicycle tour from Brazil to Canada, and boarding a plane in Vancouver to fly to Manchester :( Once in England, I'll initially be staying with my sister in Batley, West Yorkshire. I'm considering building my bike up on arrival at Manchester Airport, and cycling to Batley via the Trans Pennine Trail.
Can anyone advise how much a mission it would be to ride from the airport, to join the Trail, and where I could join the Trail ASAP? Also, I'll be on a heavily loaded Surly Disc Trucker, suited to road riding. How rugged are the Trails on the section I hope to ride? Thanks.
My latest blog from the current tour is
http://www.teampieusa.wordpress.com
Attachments
IMG_20190729_203717_878.jpg
PDQ Mobile

Re: Manchester Airport / Trans Pennine Trail

Post by PDQ Mobile »

After your epic adventure I don't think you'll have that many problems.
I don't have knowledge of cycle routes over that way though, sorry. Other people will guide you.

Just remember to cycle on the left!!
Good luck.
randonneur

Post by randonneur »

Head out of the airport towards Wythenshaw/Heald Green essentially following the tram route, and the nearest point to join the Trans Pennine Trial is either on the banks of the River Mersey at Northernden or Cheadle, the route then follows the River through to Stockport Town Centre, but is quite confusing as several routes through town centre. Much of the route surface is good with many sections on the river now asphalted as far as Stockport. Can't advise east of Stockport until Hadfield where route follows old rail trial to Woodhead Pass. Good surface on rail trial but quite rough over Woodhead summit, I usually use main road at this section, or go over Holme Moss which is probably a more direct route for Batley.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Cycle travel shows the ncn 85 to northenden at 6 miles to join the ncn62 trans pennine trail . Have not cycled it but was surprised at the trans pennine route through greater mancester on the greenways you dont realise that your going through a biult up area. Well signed and easy to follow a pleasant surprise i was expecting it been a bit of a nightmare but enjoyed it. As said woodhead pass is gruelling on the rough off road section. If the road is quiet i would be tempted to do the short section on the road to the dunford bridge turn off with a loaded tourer.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Thanks gents for all the advice. I think I'm going to give this a go, assuming my flight land at a sensible time of day
Tom_B

Post by Tom_B »

Some good advice above.
From MIA to the TPT is mostly asphalt, much of it on shared-use off-road cycle paths. A fair bit of the section along the river to Stockport (SK) is also now asphalted. As others have said, be ready to get confused with signage and alternative routes. If you have GPS, I imagine you should be ok. If not, you have a tongue in your head - there will plenty of joggers, dog-walkers etc to ask.

Beyond SK surfaces are more variable. The TPT goes across parks, on riverbank trails, down narrow alleys and on quiet residential roads. Again, signage and route-finding will be a bigger problem than surfaces (providing you avoid all the dog poo). At Hadfield, the TPT runs along a former railway. This bit is flattish and really quite pleasant.

I too would recommend avoiding Woodhead and going over Holme Moss - a spectacular Pennine route used by the TdF in 2014. It is steepish but more attractive and more direct.

When you get to Yorkshire, go to a bakery and buy a curd tart. These are a wonder of the culinary world.

If you are tired after the flight, or the weather is crap, there are hourly direct train services from MIA station to Dewsbury, not far from Batley. Advance tickets for September can be had for less than £10. There is no charge for taking a bike, tho reservations are required. See the TPE website. Depending on your financial situation, you could consider reserving now as an ‘insurance’ (note that such advance tickets are valid ONLY for a single train. If you miss this train, there is no refund. A walk-on ticket will be about £25.
https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travelling- ... ith-a-bike

HTH
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

nick12 wrote:.... woodhead pass....If the road is quiet i would be tempted to do the short section on the road to the dunford bridge turn off ....

Err, but the road might be be quiet when you join it but then some possibly impatient HGV(s) may appear (as I found, and I was zipping down the hill not slogging up it.)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Thanks again everyone for the great help and advice :D
Jotown54

Post by Jotown54 »

As you leave Manchester Airport, there is the new Manchester Eastern Link Road, A555, wonderful smooth well signed separated cycle path alongside, takes you all the way to Hazel Grove, A6 - about 15kms

I'm pretty sure the TPT is signposted from it,
I'll check in the next few days when next there..

Or, you could cycle to connect up with it in Marple, across to Hadfield/Glossop and follow the Longdendale trail ( part of TPT) to Yorkshire,
all tarmac/hardstone track