Recommendation for touring bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Derekn

Re: Recommendation for touring bike

Post by Derekn »

ElaineB wrote:Derek, have you seen the Koga Miyata that is for sale on this site under bikes for sale, if it is your size it is a real bargain.

Thanks for the suggestion Elaine. I took a look but think it's a little large for me. Also I have now decided to convert my old Muddy Fox. :)

I do appreciate your post ........ many thanks

Derek
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

ossie wrote:
Derekn wrote:Many thanks slowster for the very informative reply. It is much appreciated. I don't know why I made the comment to Ikenbikeit about preferring steel! I must have been overwhelmed by all the replies :-)

I will certainly give some thought to Dacite 1 and "converting" my old MF along the lines you have suggested :-)

I converted a Raleigh MTB for touring, cromo frame, not sure if it was 80s or 90 spec. It cost me in the region of £200 to convert. New wheels from Rose (when the exchange rate was better than now). New 8 speed groupset, bottom bracket, gear and brake cables (fleabay). New seat post, butterfly bars and tyres. I already had pannier racks , Brooks saddle and all the camping gear - it was simply an Interesting little project.

Here it is at Cologne on a long European Tour.

[Image][/url]

And it looks very nice ossie :)

I was just working out how old my MF is....... I know for sure it was bought before 1984 so at least 45 years old.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I, like many others,toured for many years on converted no suspension MTBs (Saracen and GT). Tens of thou kms. Choose your components well and you should have a fine durable bike.

One thing I would recommend is to check out or get checked out your old frame. 45 years is a long time and rust or cracks could easily have developed, especially if it is well used and maybe a bit mistreated.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My maths suggests 35 years old.1984-2019
John
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

Oldjohnw wrote:My maths suggests 35 years old.1984-2019

Well spotted "Oldjohnw" :oops: ....... my excuse is........it was 11.22pm when I posted :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Derekn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:My maths suggests 35 years old.1984-2019

Well spotted "Oldjohnw" :oops: ....... my excuse is........it was 11.22pm when I posted :lol:

:-)
John
Derekn

Post by Derekn »

I have opened a new thread "Converting a Muddy Fox" as suggested and it can be found here...........

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=131972

Derek