Recommendation for touring bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bonefishblues

Re: Recommendation for touring bike

Post by Bonefishblues »

horizon wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
slowster wrote:ElaineB, what size frame do you have and how much do you weigh? Also, roughly how much weight do you carry in the rear panniers/on the rear rack?

That sounds rather interrogatory. Perhaps you could explain what you would gain from this information?

To answer the question, "What makes it so responsive?", what questions would you ask?

Similar ones, with some context, lest it sounded rather blunt and interrogatory, as was rather obvious, I'd hoped, but happy to explain to you.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bonefishblues wrote:
horizon wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:That sounds rather interrogatory. Perhaps you could explain what you would gain from this information?

To answer the question, "What makes it so responsive?", what questions would you ask?

Similar ones, with some context, lest it sounded rather blunt and interrogatory, as was rather obvious, I'd hoped, but happy to explain to you.

After writing that, I asked myself what questions I would ask and they all came down to geometry and tube size (complicated of course by rider weight, height and luggage). Unfortunately, I have to rely on others to interpret the geometry diagrams. :evil:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

horizon wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
horizon wrote:

After writing that, I asked myself what questions I would ask and they all came down to geometry and tube size (complicated of course by rider weight, height and luggage). Unfortunately, I have to rely on others to interpret the geometry diagrams. :evil:

And looking at those previously, it does seem as if significant thought has gone into it - with what, 6 different geos, including a 26" wheel for the XS version (although one doesn't know if the tube gauge has been similarly flexed (see what I did there) for the smaller versions, to avoid them riding like a 6061 frame).

TBF to Cinelli, I think they have a very detailed tech spec for each of these bikes. Heck, they even use a square taper BB and cantis, so let no-one accuse them of pandering to fashion.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bonefishblues wrote:Thanks for that. Very helpful input, which I will consider.

A little politeness goes a long way. It was rather blunt. I suggested some context might help - rather politely, I thought. What's your excuse, or was it just for proverbials and giggles on such a friendly forum?

It's pretty simple. To explain.

"Interrogatory" is a very strong word.

Visions of folk in cells with lights shone in eyes. And possibly implied threats.

I thought slowster's question perfectly polite.

And that slowster needed to profer no explanations for asking it or ask anyone's permission.

Questions (not interrogations) make up a large part of this place.

And there are of course, as a result, some very interesting and informative answers.

Have a nice day.
Sweep
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

No worries, I never take offence! I do have to admit my Cinelli is an xs and has 26” wheels, by responsive I mean it doesn’t feel like you are dragging a large trailer! Oh and I’m 61k (at the moment).
But we digress...the op wants a touring bike but what is a touring bike? The answer earlier is the best, ‘just do it’ on any bike you have. There is really no answer to ‘how to tour’, best way is to do your own thing and not worry whether you have the right bike, the right gear, the right anything really. My philosophy is there’s a Weatherspoons/Mc D’s, Boots, bike shop on almost every corner if you are in the uk, maybe not in Africa or on the Silk Road. Don’t take the kitchen sink, go as light as you can.
Last weekend I took the train/ferries and rode up to Suffolk, stayed at a yha and came home again, that’s sort of touring isn’t it?
This is another bike I ‘toured’ on....a 20in aluminium folder, very bling! The cyclist’s I met were very impressed or at least they pretended to be! I took the photo at Harwich Town railway station in front of the VR letterbox.
To me ‘touring’ is about the people I meet along the way, in Suffolk on the ferry I met a cyclist who rode with me, we had coffee and he turned out to be a very interesting chap, eventually he went left and I went right. I will probably never see him again but that is the wonderful thing about cycle touring, engage with people, have fun and enjoy yourself, who cares what bike you are on, it’s having the spirit to get out there, anywhere and make the most of what you are doing right at that moment....happy touring!
Attachments
EB3F6B06-8207-4106-A25A-7C5DEBBC8FAC.jpeg
horizon

Post by horizon »

+ 1 to all that - wonderful! :D

Last weekend I took the train/ferries and rode up to Suffolk, stayed at a yha and came home again, that’s sort of touring isn’t it?

Beautiful - totally what it's all about IMV.
Last edited by horizon on 8 Aug 2019, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Sweep wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Thanks for that. Very helpful input, which I will consider.

A little politeness goes a long way. It was rather blunt. I suggested some context might help - rather politely, I thought. What's your excuse, or was it just for proverbials and giggles on such a friendly forum?

It's pretty simple. To explain.

"Interrogatory" is a very strong word.

Visions of folk in cells with lights shone in eyes. And possibly implied threats.

I thought slowster's question perfectly polite.

And that slowster needed to profer no explanations for asking it or ask anyone's permission.

Questions (not interrogations) make up a large part of this place.

And there are of course, as a result, some very interesting and informative answers.

Have a nice day.

Now if that had been your initial response as opposed to the one you gave...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ElaineB wrote:This is another bike I ‘toured’ on....a 20in aluminium folder, very bling! The cyclist’s I met were very impressed or at least they pretended to be! I took the photo at Harwich Town railway station in front of the VR letterbox.
To me ‘touring’ is about the people I meet along the way, in Suffolk on the ferry I met a cyclist who rode with me, we had coffee and he turned out to be a very interesting chap, eventually he went left and I went right. I will probably never see him again but that is the wonderful thing about cycle touring, engage with people, have fun and enjoy yourself, who cares what bike you are on, it’s having the spirit to get out there, anywhere and make the most of what you are doing right at that moment....happy touring!

That's a bit more than a standard folder, isn't it! :D
ossie

Post by ossie »

Spa have just built me some lovely touring wheels for my bike with 130mm dropouts.

The same bike that's managed numerous fully loaded European tours , 4 panniers, camping kit etc.Bloody thing even has carbon forks supporting Tubus low riders. I've thought about getting a dedicated ' touring bike ' but I couldn't justify the expense when this keeps doing a job.

I'll just pop over and stand in the naughty corner. :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

ossie wrote:Spa have just built me some lovely touring wheels for my bike with 130mm dropouts.

The same bike that's managed numerous fully loaded European tours , 4 panniers, camping kit etc.Bloody thing even has carbon forks supporting Tubus low riders. I've thought about getting a dedicated ' touring bike ' but I couldn't justify the expense when this keeps doing a job.

If it does the job it does the job.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Bonefishblues wrote:Similar ones, with some context, lest it sounded rather blunt and interrogatory, as was rather obvious, I'd hoped, but happy to explain to you.

I could indeed have commented about how I think those factors might influence the responsiveness of a bike, but I didn't because I thought that it would be superfluous and that the inference was fairly obvious, as has been demonstrated by the other posters who have explained - rather better than I would have - why I asked those questions.

I did briefly consider writing such a longer post, but as well as consciously deciding not to because I thought it would be stating the obvious and I know that I am often too longwinded (c.f...erm...this post), it also went fleetingly through my mind that it would be patronisingly sexist to do so (c.f...erm...actually, better not go there). I would not have provided an explanation if I were addressing the questions to a poster whom I knew or believed to be male, so to provide it to ElaineB would imply that I thought she might not understand the reasons for my asking because she is a woman. In fact I would go further and say that the reasons for the questions are so self-evident, that to explain why I was asking them might even be considered insulting.

As far as I was concerned the only reasons I might have had for explaining were the slightly gushing nature of her enthusiasm for the bike (I think the more experience people have, the less they tend to post in that style [although without wanting to stereotype I think that posting style can also be more common in US based forums]) and what I thought was a rather weak argument in the form of the reference to the video of the bike's performance in the Tour d'Afrique. The latter is a marketing video and the bikes were ridden without racks and panniers - I also suspect the riders may have had significant support/back up, and if there had been any significant problems with the bike I doubt they would have been included in the video. (As it happens I can recall a male poster who was similarly enthusiastic about his bike and similarly made an 'appeal to authority' to justify why it was a good bike, and my response was similarly sceptical.) I am not interested in a marketing video, but I am interested in ElaineB's own personal experience, because that is the acid test. She finds it a great bike and really likes the handling compared to other tourers*.

* In my previous post I was tempted to ask what other tourers, but I didn't because a) I preferred to keep the post short, and b) again mindful of how words on a screen can be misconstrued (c.f...erm...better not go there either), I did not want it to be inferred that I was implying she might not have ridden enough different bikes for her comparison to be an informed one. So ElaineB, what tourers are you comparing it against?

My suspicion when I posted was that she is a small rider (but rather than just assume that and post the following comments which might not have been applicable, I thought it appropriate to ask her first - another reason for my not going into detail in that post: it might not have have applied to her and been completely irrelevant). Since she has confirmed that she rides an extra small frame, that makes her perspective more interesting than the average male who rides a medium frame. It's probably a lot easier for designers to make the right choices for the average person on a medium frame: tubesets have been developed and refined to give the optimum result for probably the >90th percentiles of rider heights/weights. 531Colin has a much better idea of how the 54cm size of the Spa frames he has designed ride, compared with the large and small frames, because that's the size he rides. He will not have the same level of intuitive understanding when he is designing and specifying tubesets and geometry for extra short and extra tall riders (and I suspect that, like any good designer, he is always keen to get feedback and insight from such riders, as he demonstrated on a recent thread where a tall rider had purchased a large Ti Touring frame).

Moreover, I think that designing good very small frames is potentially much more demanding than designing very large frames. In other words, with the availability of larger diameter tubes in a choice of thickness and which can be tig welded and 1 1/8" headsets, designers and builders are freed from the strength and stiffness limitations imposed by traditional narrow tubes joined by lugs and with headtubes for 1" steerers and quill stems. The resulting frames may be heavy, but the ratio of rider weight to frame weight may not be significantly worse than for an average rider on a medium frame.

If the frames for very tall riders need to be, as it were, 'overbuilt' with thicker larger diameter tubesets, very small riders logically need frames which are 'underbuilt', with thinner walled and/or narrower diameter tubsets. That is probably a difficult balance to get right for a race frame, but getting it right for a tourer is probably much more difficult: the bike is likely to have to cope with rougher roads and harsher use/conditions, and 20kg in panniers is likely to have much greater impact for a rider on a very small frame than one on a very large frame. For someone on a large LHT, 20kg might add less than 20% to the overall weight and the frame is likely to be so stiff and strong that it has much less impact on the handling. Whereas for someone riding an extra small frame, 20kg might add 40% to the overall weight, and getting the balance of frame stiffness and strength right to cope with both laden and unladen riding is probably quite tricky.

Given ElaineB's experience that makes me wonder if Cinelli have hit a sweetspot in their extra small frame. If so I suspect it might be because they primarily make racing bikes, and that background and experience of building lightweight racing bikes results in them pushing the envelope a bit when choosing tube thicknesses for a touring bike, at least for small riders, whereas a UK or US bike brand designer might be that bit more conservative. The bike might possibly not be as robust as, say, a LHT, but that is a trade off many might be willing to make if the alternative was a bike that to them had a rather dead, heavy ride quality. If so, that's very useful information for other cyclists who need an extra small frame, because recommendations from those of us who ride medium or larger frames based on those frames are not worth anywhere near as much. It would be interesting if ElaineB and Vantage (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=131583&start=15#p1380308) were to swap and compare bikes.

Finally, I would point out that in my original post I said that the 130mm OLN would disqualify it for me when looking for a serious touring bike to use with loaded panniers. We are all of us free to make our own choices, and we are all different: what one rider needs and suits them best might be quite different for another. Personal preferences and experience may also make a huge difference to what one wants from a bike. If you've never had a spoke break on tour you might put much less importance on the OLN size, possibly quite justifiably (e.g. if you are a light rider and/or you get your 130mm OLN wheels from a very good wheelbuilder), similarly you might be the sort that is able to face a spoke breakage on tour with complete equanimity, possibly because you have the skill and equipment to fix it yourself or because you just use your smartphone to call a taxi to take you to the nearest bike shop. Conversely, if you've had a spoke break in the middle of nowhere, when you're still a long way from your accommodation and/or you risk missing a transport connection, the weather is bad, and there's no mobile signal, then you are likely to be a lot more risk averse when it comes to choices in future which determine how strong your wheels are.
Last edited by slowster on 8 Aug 2019, 7:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well yes slowster, that is a long post:)
But i agree with you.
And like me you are clearly a believer in the value of a simple unadorned question as a way of learning something/furthering adult debate.
Also agree with your other point - some folk adopting what they like to think are poitically correct postures are actually being patronising/playing gender games.
I have also long been wary of folk who express outrage at simple questions. Often used by politicos and folk up to no good.
So keep asking away :)

Back to op's quest - the 130 debate may have been useful for them.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

Elaine clearly speaks with the voice of experience, so I have no doubt that her Cinelli has worked out very nicely for her. My only quibble with the bike was whether it was worth paying extra over a Spa Tourer when the rear hub spacing was just a little sub-optimal. I never doubted that the bike is good.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

slowster wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Similar ones, with some context, lest it sounded rather blunt and interrogatory, as was rather obvious, I'd hoped, but happy to explain to you.

I could indeed have commented about how I think those factors might influence the responsiveness of a bike, but I didn't because I thought that it would be superfluous and that the inference was fairly obvious, as has been demonstrated by the other posters who have explained - rather better than I would have - why I asked those questions.

I did briefly consider writing such a longer post, but as well as consciously deciding not to because I thought it would be stating the obvious and I know that I am often too longwinded (c.f...erm...this post), it also went fleetingly through my mind that it would be patronisingly sexist to do so (c.f...erm...actually, better not go there). I would not have provided an explanation if I were addressing the questions to a poster whom I knew or believed to be male, so to provide it to ElaineB would imply that I thought she might not understand the reasons for my asking because she is a woman. In fact I would go further and say that the reasons for the questions are so self-evident, that to explain why I was asking them might even be considered insulting.

As far as I was concerned the only reasons I might have had for explaining were the slightly gushing nature of her enthusiasm for the bike (I think the more experience people have, the less they tend to post in that style [although without wanting to stereotype I think that posting style can also be more common in US based forums]) and what I thought was a rather weak argument in the form of the reference to the video of the bike's performance in the Tour d'Afrique. The latter is a marketing video and the bikes were ridden without racks and panniers - I also suspect the riders may have had significant support/back up, and if here had been any significant problems with the bike I doubt they would have been included in the video. (As it happens I can recall a male poster who was similarly enthusiastic about his bike and similarly made an 'appeal to authority' to justify why it was a good bike, and my response was similarly sceptical.) I am not interested in a marketing video, but I am interested in ElaineB's own personal experience, because that is the acid test. She finds it a great bike and really likes the handling compared to other tourers*.

* In my previous post I was tempted to ask what other tourers, but I didn't because a) I preferred to keep the post short, and b) again mindful of how words on a screen can be misconstrued (c.f...erm...better not go there either), I did not want it to be inferred that I was implying she might not have ridden enough different bikes for her comparison to be an informed one. So ElaineB, what tourers are you comparing it against?

My suspicion when I posted was that she is a small rider (but rather than just assume that and post the following comments which might not have been applicable, I thought it appropriate to ask her first - another reason for my not going into detail in that post: it might not have have applied to her and been completely irrelevant). Since she has confirmed that she rides an extra small frame, that makes her perspective more interesting than the average male who rides a medium frame. It's probably a lot easier for designers to make the right choices for the average person on a medium frame: tubesets have been developed and refined to give the optimum result for probably the >90th percentiles of rider heights/weights. 531Colin has a much better idea of how the 54cm size of the Spa frames he has designed ride, compared with the large and small frames, because that's the size he rides. He will not have the same level of intuitive understanding when he is designing and specifying tubesets and geometry for extra short and extra tall riders (and I suspect that, like any good designer, he is always keen to get feedback and insight from such riders, as he demonstrated on a recent thread where a tall rider had purchased a large Ti Touring frame).

Moreover, I think that designing good very small frames is potentially much more demanding than designing very large frames. In other words, with the availability of larger diameter tubes in a choice of thickness and which can be tig welded and 1 1/8" headsets, designers and builders are freed from the strength and stiffness limitations imposed by traditional narrow tubes joined by lugs and with headtubes for 1" steerers and quill stems. The resulting frames may be heavy, but the ratio of rider weight to frame weight may not be significantly worse than for an average rider on a medium frame.

If the frames for very tall riders need to be, as it were, 'overbuilt' with thicker larger diameter tubesets, very small riders logically need frames which are 'underbuilt', with thinner walled and/or narrower diameter tubsets. That is probably a difficult balance to get right for a race frame, but getting it right for a tourer is probably much more difficult: the bike is likely to have to cope with rougher roads and harsher use/conditions, and 20kg in panniers is likely to have much greater impact for a rider on a very small frame than one on a very large frame. For someone on a large LHT, 20kg might add less than 20% to the overall weight and the frame is likely to be so stiff and strong that it has much less impact on the handling. Whereas for someone riding an extra small frame, 20kg might add 40% to the overall weight, and getting the balance of frame stiffness and strength right to to cope with both laden and unladen riding is probably quite tricky.

Given ElaineB's experience that makes me wonder if Cinelli have hit a sweetspot in their extra small frame. If so I suspect it might be because they primarily make racing bikes, and that background and experience of building lightweight racing bikes results in them pushing the envelope a bit when choosing tube thicknesses for a touring bike, at least for small riders, whereas a UK or US bike brand designer might be that bit more conservative. The bike might possibly not be as robust as, say, a LHT, but that is a trade off many might be willing to make if the alternative was a bike that to them had a rather dead, heavy ride quality. If so, that's very useful information for other cyclists who need an extra small frame, because recommendations from those of us who ride medium or larger frames based on those frames are not worth anywhere near as much. It would be interesting if ElaineB and Vantage (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=131583&start=15#p1380308) were to swap and compare bikes.

Finally, I would point out that in my original post I said that the 130mm OLN would disqualify it for me when looking for a serious touring bike to use with loaded panniers. We are all of us free to make our own choices, and we are all different: what one rider needs and suits them best might be quite different for another. Personal preferences and experience may also make a huge difference to what one wants from a bike. If you've never had a spoke break on tour you might put much less importance on the OLN size, possibly quite justifiably (e.g. if you are a light rider and/or you get your 130mm OLN wheels from a very good wheelbuilder), similarly you might be the sort that is able to face a spoke breakage on tour with complete equanimity, possibly because you have the skill and equipment to fix it yourself or because you just use your smartphone to call a taxi to take you to the nearest bike shop. Conversely, if you've had a spoke break in the middle of nowhere, when you're still a long way from your accommodation and/or you risk missing a transport connection, the weather is bad, and there's no mobile signal, then you are likely to be a lot more risk averse when it comes to choices in future which determine how strong your wheels are.

Thank you for the detailed explanations, including the preparation you put into your post. It's good to hear from you as opposed to Sweep, who seemed keen to get involved, with attendant sarcasm, rather contrary to his own advice, and who seems to still be taking swipes. His particularly 'loaded' personal interpretation of the word interrogatory seems to have lit something of a fire without any justification at what was, and still is intended to be constructive feedback. (Hint to Sweep, please look up its meaning - it's not: Visions of folk in cells with lights shone in eyes. And possibly implied threats)

I alluded in an earlier post to the issues you also cover in much greater detail wrt tubing for smaller frames, if they are not to feel like 6061, I think I said. It's worth repeating that the bike in the Africa video may have had some familial resemblance, but the tubing used is very different to the Cromor used on the touring bike they sell, so I don't think any helpful conclusions can be drawn, as you indicate, for other reasons.

Understand your point regarding 130 OLN hubs for you - you did also make a rather sweeping (see what I did there) statement about Italian manufacturers and their ability to make a touring bike, which has sparked something of a useful debate, I think, informed by Elaine.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards, having explained myself to you. :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
ossie wrote:Spa have just built me some lovely touring wheels for my bike with 130mm dropouts.

If it does the job it does the job.

...and that's ultimately the thing, isn't it, albeit we all have thoughts, opinions & preferences.