Long term touring advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Polite

Long term touring advice

Post by Polite »

I am trying to simplify my choices, stop overthinking and stop over-planning things - I have already posted earlier about cycling the Iron Curtain trail because I'm keen to complete a challenge but I keep talking myself in and out of different Eurovélo routes - I have taken some agreed & unpaid time off work (until September 2020) to look out for myself so time isn't the problem it usually is.

Here are some of the first world problems I am battling against:

Things I love:
Stunning landscapes and scenery
Quiet
Creature comforts
The rhythm of cycling 80km (more or less) a day
Local food
Hills (I've cycled up Mt Ventoux and I'm in reasonable shape)
Getting to know Europe
A rewarding sleep after a busy day

Worries:
Camping for too long (3 weeks(ish))
No more than a 2 month trip
Limited bike maintenance skills
Limited budget

Could any of you help put some of this drivel into some kind of a plan?

Thanks.
Last edited by Polite on 7 Aug 2019, 2:42am, edited 1 time in total.
robing

Re: Long term touring advice

Post by robing »

Sounds like a European trip would suit you well, - and means you can get home easily if you need a hospital appointment.
Creature comforts may contradict limited budget somewhat.
As long as you have a good bike service before you go and tyres, chainset etc in good order then you should be OK.
A night under a roof every now and then helps break up the camping.
Wild camping can be great and free.
You could do some sort of circular route using the channel ports or train/bike bus to southern France and cycle back.
World's your lobster! :D
Polite

Post by Polite »

Many thanks
robing

Post by robing »

Budget hotels in France like F1 and premier class are basic but cheap and you can take your bike in the room .
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've done long multi-month camping tours.

Camping.
You want a tent that you're happy to sit in for a couple of days while waiting out a rain storm while reading books on your kindle.
That's why a lot of solo long distance tourers go for two man tents as the extra space more than makes up for the extra weight.
Add in a good sleeping bag and mat and you'll be set.
There no shame in decamping to a hotel if the weather's very bad, I do that.
How much you cook vs eat out depends on your budget.
I tend to live on sandwiches and pasta with bits in when I'm on tour, thats cheap and quick.
Plus tea ....... :D

Routing.
Go where you like.
I have a very rough idea where I'm going when I set out, like Home -> Rhine -> Danube -> Elbe -> Home.
The next 1-4 days are planned out in more detail so I know roughly where I'll be stopping each night.
But unless you're planned to be somewhere at a set date, there's no real pressure on how far you travel each day.
If I feel like turning in a different direction to explore somewhere different than planned, I'll do that.
My biggest diversion was after I cycled down the Danube to the Black Sea. Instead of cycling back up the Danube as planned, I headed north to Ria and then came back along the Baltic. that only added roughly an extra 1,000 miles to the route ...... :D

Power.
You need some way of keeping all your devices charged up, even if it's just your sat nav and kindle.
A hub dynamo is probably a must on a long tour.
A small portable solar panel can work if you've the room to carry one, but can also be a bit iffy in none perfect weather.
Devices can also be charged up in cafes/hotels if you use them alot.

Luck .......... :D
whoof

Post by whoof »

Going with someone else, even for only some of the trip can almost half the cost of over-night accommodation, make buying food cheaper and can be reassuring in terms of security, navigation and repairs.

It can also give you to be annoyed with or them you, so choose carefully.

WRT bike maintenance. Have a go now, if you get it wrong you have the time and the probably the facilities (bike shop) to rectify things rather than it being a necessity on a roadside in the middle of nowhere.

These videos and instructions are quite good.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
Polite

Post by Polite »

Tigerbiten wrote:I've done long multi-month camping tours.

Camping.
You want a tent that you're happy to sit in for a couple of days while waiting out a rain storm while reading books on your kindle.
That's why a lot of solo long distance tourers go for two man tents as the extra space more than makes up for the extra weight.
Add in a good sleeping bag and mat and you'll be set.
There no shame in decamping to a hotel if the weather's very bad, I do that.
How much you cook vs eat out depends on your budget.
I tend to live on sandwiches and pasta with bits in when I'm on tour, thats cheap and quick.
Plus tea ....... :D

Routing.
Go where you like.
I have a very rough idea where I'm going when I set out, like Home -> Rhine -> Danube -> Elbe -> Home.
The next 1-4 days are planned out in more detail so I know roughly where I'll be stopping each night.
But unless you're planned to be somewhere at a set date, there's no real pressure on how far you travel each day.
If I feel like turning in a different direction to explore somewhere different than planned, I'll do that.
My biggest diversion was after I cycled down the Danube to the Black Sea. Instead of cycling back up the Danube as planned, I headed north to Ria and then came back along the Baltic. that only added roughly an extra 1,000 miles to the route ...... :D

Power.
You need some way of keeping all your devices charged up, even if it's just your sat nav and kindle.
A hub dynamo is probably a must on a long tour.
A small portable solar panel can work if you've the room to carry one, but can also be a bit iffy in none perfect weather.
Devices can also be charged up in cafes/hotels if you use them alot.

Luck .......... :D

Thanks, good advice!
Polite

Post by Polite »

whoof wrote:Going with someone else, even for only some of the trip can almost half the cost of over-night accommodation, make buying food cheaper and can be reassuring in terms of security, navigation and repairs.

It can also give you to be annoyed with or them you, so choose carefully.

WRT bike maintenance. Have a go now, if you get it wrong you have the time and the probably the facilities (bike shop) to rectify things rather than it being a necessity on a roadside in the middle of nowhere.

These videos and instructions are quite good.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Cheers :D
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Re bike maintenance skills. You only need skills that will enable you to use the tools and spare parts you intend to carry. Eg not much point knowing how to rejoin a snapped chain if you don't carry spare chain links and a chain tool. If you are decide that the risk of the chain breaking is very small (which it surely is)then don't take the spares and don't bother to learn how to rejoin the chain. Other examples are broken spokes or gear cables (if you have gears), probably worth learning how to replace a gear cable, though a broken cable is unlikely to be catastrophic, whereas a broken spoke may bring you to a halt if the wheel goes badly out of true, but then what is the chance of this happening and how far away from "civilisation" are you likely to be?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I hate to say this but things going wrong on long tours so you're delayed a day or two is fairly common for me.
Things like ........
I killed a tyre on Syke, I had to get the bus to Inverness and back to get a new 406 tyre.
I had my tent destroyed in a storm, I got stuck for a couple of days while a new one ordered over the internet.
A couple of times I've had the hydraulic brakes on my trike fail and had to stop to wait for new ones to be posted to me.
So what if you're delayed a couple of days getting things fixed.
It's not like you've only got 10 days to do JOGLE and if you fall behind to have to abandon the effort.
You've the time to get things fixed and keep going.

Luck ............ :D
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Polite wrote:Things I love:
Stunning landscapes and scenery Very much in the eye of the beholder.... and weather dependent! :)
Quiet If you mean campsites, the more popular the area the louder the campsite in my experience.
Creature comforts Specifically? On longer tours a creature comfort can be the last beer out of a kiosk before it closes! :)
Local food
Getting to know Europe

Worries:
Camping for too long (3 weeks(ish)) Nobody knows until you try, but give yourself the best chance of success with a decent tent, be adept at putting it up
Limited bike maintenance skills Change brake pads, fix punctures, maybe gear/brake cables. Or read Ann Mustoe! :D
Limited budget It's possible to tour relatively cheaply. Some routes are better than others for that

I prefer train or ferry travel.

Thanks.

First of all, my condolences for your loss.

Secondly, there's lots of good advice above.

It seems you may be suffering from too much choice? You have the time but struggle to choose a route?

Unless you're considering Eastern Europe, the rest of Europe is well equipped with bike stores if you have any mechanicals. You're hardly ever in the absolute middle of nowhere. You have a phone right?

I'm assuming your medical issue will not be influenced by a bike touring lifestyle - not just the cycling? Have you checked with you doc?
While your previous tours were challenges, it might be helpful to think of this one as less of a challenge and more of a gift to yourself?

Pick a theme for the tour, or parts of the tour. Examples might be a river route, or WWI or WWII. It could be wine, breweries or whatever tickles your fancy. Someday I will tour all of Germany in a quest to find the best beer and bratwurst combination! :D

As mentioned above, pack a kindle. Wherever I'm touring I really enjoy reading about the history or stories from the area. If you do consider The Iron trail there is no shortage of history!

If I'm understanding correctly, you have time off now? Until September 2020? So why not head off on a small trip next week and see how it goes? A week. Two weeks. On the road. Face up to your worries and work out the best way to face them down on a longer trip. My gut feeling is that with your experience once you're on the road your load will lighten.

Too much thinking can be detrimental. My advice is pick something and go for it! If you're not liking it, go somewhere else.

Best of luck
Polite

Post by Polite »

HobbesOnTour wrote:
Polite wrote:Things I love:
Stunning landscapes and scenery Very much in the eye of the beholder.... and weather dependent! :)
Quiet If you mean campsites, the more popular the area the louder the campsite in my experience.
Creature comforts Specifically? On longer tours a creature comfort can be the last beer out of a kiosk before it closes! :)
Local food
Getting to know Europe

Worries:
Camping for too long (3 weeks(ish)) Nobody knows until you try, but give yourself the best chance of success with a decent tent, be adept at putting it up
Limited bike maintenance skills Change brake pads, fix punctures, maybe gear/brake cables. Or read Ann Mustoe! :D
Limited budget It's possible to tour relatively cheaply. Some routes are better than others for that

I prefer train or ferry travel.

Thanks.

First of all, my condolences for your loss.

Secondly, there's lots of good advice above.

It seems you may be suffering from too much choice? You have the time but struggle to choose a route?

Unless you're considering Eastern Europe, the rest of Europe is well equipped with bike stores if you have any mechanicals. You're hardly ever in the absolute middle of nowhere. You have a phone right?

I'm assuming your medical issue will not be influenced by a bike touring lifestyle - not just the cycling? Have you checked with you doc?
While your previous tours were challenges, it might be helpful to think of this one as less of a challenge and more of a gift to yourself?

Pick a theme for the tour, or parts of the tour. Examples might be a river route, or WWI or WWII. It could be wine, breweries or whatever tickles your fancy. Someday I will tour all of Germany in a quest to find the best beer and bratwurst combination! :D

As mentioned above, pack a kindle. Wherever I'm touring I really enjoy reading about the history or stories from the area. If you do consider The Iron trail there is no shortage of history!

If I'm understanding correctly, you have time off now? Until September 2020? So why not head off on a small trip next week and see how it goes? A week. Two weeks. On the road. Face up to your worries and work out the best way to face them down on a longer trip. My gut feeling is that with your experience once you're on the road your load will lighten.

Too much thinking can be detrimental. My advice is pick something and go for it! If you're not liking it, go somewhere else.

Best of luck

Thanks so much, you’ve ‘got’ me, your wise words mean a lot. And thanks for the condolences.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Stay in one place for several weeks (a small town in Germany? La France profonde?) and get to know a small area well
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Polite

Post by Polite »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Stay in one place for several weeks (a small town in Germany? La France profonde?) and get to know a small area well

Thanks. Something I’m thinking of, as well.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Stay in one place for several weeks (a small town in Germany? La France profonde?) and get to know a small area well

Yes, plus if you speak any languages or know any cultures, start there, as long as you don't hate it. It'll probably vmake stuff easier to start.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.