the North Coast 500: A Great Wilderness?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyril Haearn

Re: Scotland north coast 500

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Navrig is right, it was an awful idea, more holiday routes just increase traffic and use of resources, unlikely that other routes shall reduce use of the nc500
One can see plenty of Scotland by train

And what about amis and germans, , who are used to driving on the wrong side? :?

Mind, I bet they are many quite places still in Scotland, valleys with a handful of dwellers, cul-de-sac roads twenty miles long
Please not to publicise them, I can read a map :wink:
There was a thread here some time ago where a driver complained about following cyclists up the Bealach na Ba, he damaged his clutch trying to go slowly
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Perhaps I am being protectionist but we have created a monster in the NC500 and other areas are now playing copy cat:

https://www.visitsouthwestscotland.com/ ... tal-route/
and
https://www.northeast250.com/

Having lived in Inverness for 12 years (moved 12 years ago tho'), toured the Highlands extensively by motorbike and, still, regularly holidaying in the highlands (twice a year typically) I am genuinely concerned that the NC500 has been oversold and the damage cannot be undone.

... there is also a route round Pitlochry-ish planned - see link in the Guardian article upthread. Despite the main man behind it being well aware of the problems on the NC500 route :roll:

Soon we'll need Gravel Bikes to find peace-n-quiet ;)
keithg

Post by keithg »

I think Mark Beaumont’s route previously linked is an excellent idea and one I’ve done myself, missing out the JOG and Wick top left (NE) corner and using the A836 or A897. The former is a lovely road via Altnaharra in its own right.
Going in May will produce (slightly) quieter roads and no or very few midges and is probably the best time to go.
The scenery and roads are lovely and it is a gorgeous part of the world. Is there a solution to the newish phenomenon of “over-tourism”? Ask Venice, Dubrovnik or the Amalfi coast, probably no easy answer.
In summer in Scotland, if you’re bike-camping it may be possible to get lots of miles in before 9am and after 6pm and avoid high season as ways to mitigate traffic frustration.
Olliespilot

Post by Olliespilot »

I've just returned home after a month touring Scotland in our motorhome. We choose to stay on proper caravan sites and shop locally wherever possible. I would not try to drive up the western route of the NC500, having researched before our trip. I've enjoyed cycling in Torridon and up to Dunnet Head, amongst lots of stunning scenery. I really resent some motorhome/camper van users for their indiscriminate dumping of toilet waste, especially the inconsiderate idiot(s) who blocked the public toilets at the Beinne Eighe visitor centre - totally selfish! We are not all the same though. Enjoy cycling in this most wonderful part of Britain.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well I'm glad I did the '500' back in 1980 before it was classified as such. Met some Scots lads recently when in Mallorca, they feel it has been ruined by defining it as a route; overpriced accommodation, sports car racers, etc etc.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

eileithyia wrote:Well I'm glad I did the '500' back in 1980 before it was classified as such. Met some Scots lads recently when in Mallorca, they feel it has been ruined by defining it as a route; overpriced accommodation, sports car racers, etc etc.

Yup, some of whom are now doing the entire route in one go so, other than fuel and maybe a snack, are spending nothing locally.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

Yep, I too ticked most of it off several years ago, travelling against the usual flow. Thankfully it was fairly quiet and I was camping, early season.
A disabled friend of mine has tried twice to do it by car in recent years. First time he hadn't booked accommodation and had to abandon it. A Dutch couple he met up there advised him that they'd had the same problem the year before and had now returned after booking all their accommodation in the previous autumn.
He followed suit but found that autumn was too late to secure accommodation for several of his planned overnight stops, so he's given up. I'd suggest that if you need overnight accommodation don't go unless you have it i all pre-booked and to start booking 12 months ahead.
Maybe that's why some try to do it in a day? :)
It's a shame because it was a great ride but as mentioned in earlier posts there are still quiet alternative routes nearby.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have done it many times, a bit at a time spending a week at a time in one area.

These days people have to compile 'bucket' lists to tick off. Imagine doing the NC500 in 3 days! Just to say that you've done it.

Suddenly, people who wouldn't dream of holidaying in Scotland because they thought far off places much more interesting, come just because it's a fashion. They speed around so they have no idea how brilliant it is just so they can say they have done it.
John
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I cycled all around the area now designated as NC500 for many years, starting as a teenager about 60 odd years ago. At least half dozen cars and the mail-bus everyday was regarded as pretty busy. I won’t go near it now as it would spoil my memories.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Oldjohnw wrote: Imagine doing the NC500 in 3 days! Just to say that you've done it.

They speed around so they have no idea how brilliant it is just so they can say they have done it.

Seems to be a fashion of the most recent tourist generations. We used to see people "doing Scotland" by spending a week in Edinburgh then taking a Wallace Arnold tour up to Inverness and back. That was the Scotland box ticked. They would be better spending two weeks in Edinburgh and experience more, better quality time and ticking the Edinburgh box. A return trip would give a flavour (and nothing more) of the Highlands.

I suspect some of the issues relate to large and small country syndrome. People from large countries look at Scotland and see it as tiny meaning they can "do it" in a stupidly short time.

Something like the NC500 is better savoured over a longer period. At least cyclists appreciate and understand this.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Navrig wrote:
Something like the NC500 is better savoured over a longer period. At least cyclists appreciate and understand this.

Couldn't agree more!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Navrig wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote: Imagine doing the NC500 in 3 days! Just to say that you've done it.

Dead true.

A few years ago an American friend phoned me to say he was "doing yurp" and could we meet up.

Eventually I worked out that he was coming to Europe: 5 capitals in 5 days. That was Yurp sorted.
John
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

John1054 wrote:
Navrig wrote:

Couldn't agree more!

Few years back, I cycled the Amalfi coast. Fabulous. Spectacular. But as I was riding I realised that no other way would have been pleasant: too far/hot to walk, you'd miss it all if you were driving, nauseating in a coach. Maybe OK on a motorbike. And the only place in Italy where you get an overpriced, crap coffee.
althebike

Post by althebike »

I do love the highlands . I live on the Heathrow flightpath and so the air quality is not brilliant. When in the highlands last year I did not need my inhalers once. The locals were friendly and hospitable the scenery fantastic .A long tour in the highlands need not be an nc500 , it is just a question of finding quieter routes. As has been often mentioned, it is a shame when a beautiful area gets spoiled by mass tourism.
climo

Post by climo »

Oldjohnw wrote:A few years ago an American friend phoned me to say he was "doing yurp" and could we meet up.

Eventually I worked out that he was coming to Europe: 5 capitals in 5 days. That was Yurp sorted.

Met some Americans last year who had flown to Paris, stayed a few days, hired a car and driven here (Wiltshire) without telling the hire company. Next day they planned 2 hours in Bath then to be in Holyhead by 6pm for the ferry. They were going cross country via an ancestors castle (they didn't know where) and buying the families tartan.
I hadn't the heart....

My wife's American.....