Touring on an electric bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
landsurfer

Re: Touring on an electric bike?

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Touring on an electric bike ..... or motoring as it's known ......
:lol:

I'm joking .... honest .... :lol:

There'll come a time when ............

And I will embrace it when it comes. Just done the Whitehaven to Tynemouth CTC with 2 compatriots with electric bikes. One used it all the way, the other changed his front wheel only when it got nasty... Whinlatter, Hartside etc ... They both completed the ride .
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Touring on an electric bike ..... or motoring as it's known ......
:lol:

I'm joking .... honest .... :lol:

There'll come a time when ............

And I will embrace it when it comes. Just done the Whitehaven to Tynemouth CTC with 2 compatriots with electric bikes. One used it all the way, the other changed his front wheel only when it got nasty... Whinlatter, Hartside etc ... They both completed the ride .

Then why take p*** out of those that already have 'embraced' it?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:Then why take p*** out of those that already have 'embraced' it?

We have a wildly different sense of humours you and I ... What i see as a mild joke you find the deepest offence from.
Why don't we just leave each other alone ....
And stop boring the moderators to death .... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:

We have a wildly different sense of humours you and I ... What i see as a mild joke you find the deepest offence from.

It's not humourous to face people with,by pretending to joke about what they're acutely aware of.

You've consistently termed e-bikes as 'motorbikes' or similar on various threads on the forum,which also isn't funny.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Anyone calling (not in jest) a legal ebike a motorbike understands neither ebikes nor motorbikes.
John
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

It's not humourous to face people with,by pretending to joke about what they're acutely aware of.

You've consistently termed e-bikes as 'motorbikes' or similar on various threads on the forum,which also isn't funny.

I think there is sensibility on both "sides" of this argument so a little humour (given and taken) would go a long way. I've posted on another thread (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=132066&start=45) some of my thoughts on this which hopefully go some way to explain why there is some antipathy to e-bikes amongst cyclists. This thread isn't the place for it - it's about the interesting and practical aspects of using an e-bike for touring.

I've done a couple of local camping trips recently to take advantage of the weather and it's been useful comparing what I did (load weight, hills, distance etc) with how I might have done it on an e-bike.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:....... This thread isn't the place for it - it's about the interesting and practical aspects of using an e-bike for touring.

I thoroughly agree!
W H Auden
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Now contemplating (but not at all seriously) doing a fully supported LEJOG/JOGLE with two bikes; steam power for the flatter bits and electric to get me over the biggest hills.

Well, not very seriously but I did vaguely consider a two bike trip with an MTB for the hills and a road bike for the flatter bits.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The hills really aren't that bad. Berriedale and helmsdale hills were the worst but do able or walk able!

Cheers James
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

A large number of people posting on CycleBlaze are riding e bikes and seldom complain about not finding a charging point.

The Crazyguy has a separate ghetto for e bike journals on his site but I don't go there much so i don't what the experience is there.

Mike
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A couple of campgrounds I've been at in Norway recently, had little huts in the middle of the tent camping are with charging points for electronics, e-bikes, etc. Both places included everything in the price of a tent space, one person & a tent was 140 NOK at one place and 150 NOK (£12.50 and £13.50 respectively). One of them only had two outlets, but it was fine because there was never more than one in use at a time, though when I was was there, the campsite was mostly long distance walkers, plus a few caravaners.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
goosegog

Post by goosegog »

I have just completed my first tour with a pedelec. I tour Germany and Austria and have seen an increase in E bikes over the past 5 years. Last year I estimated the bikes I saw 80% of them were pedelecs that's 4 in every 5 bikes. I saw a lot of them passing me. My epiphany came when I visited a church up a 3km climb , I had to walk and on pausing for breath an older lady passed me on her pedelec as if she was cycling on the flat. I did my research and bought a Cube with 500ah Bosch system. it is brilliant I no longer have to walk up hills and its good to have assistance against headwinds. I have not noticed it any faster than my normal bike but my average speed has increased from 8mph to 10mph.

As I use hotels I charge the battery in the room, most alpine hotels have a ski room that is used for bikes in summer these have numerous power points(boot warmers) so you need to carry a charger. As my charger came with UK lead I bought a euro 2 pin lead to aviod carrying adapters.

Starting off the range indicator shows about 50 miles put if I keep it on the Eco setting it can go up to 90 miles. On Turbo the range drops to 20miles. Just by stopping for lunch the battery can recover. I do not see the point of carrying a spare battery its quite heavy and charging 2 low batteries overnight with 1 charger is complicated. I also saw hotels with outside charging points it looked like a special lead is required hired from the hotel?There was some gasthofs offering E bike charging points
merrymac

Post by merrymac »

Having completed the west half of EuroVelo 12, in June I started on the eastern half from France to Norway to celebrate my 70th Birthday. The first 6 days along the N Sea coast of France, Belgium and into the Netherlands were into a 20-30 mph headwind. On June 27-28 we had record temperatures in Netherlands of 40+C. Enough I said
I found a good e-bike shop in Friesland and part-exed my Jamis tourer for a 2 year-old second-hand Dutch-made Sparta. On it I easily covered 100+ kms daily on the overnight charge with only 2-3 lunchtime top-ups in cafes, supermarkets or bike shops. I never looked back and1,900 kms later I stopped in Sweden when winter arrived two weeks ago. (Getting the e-bike home was a different matter, requiring a whole new thread here and a lot of time and money)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

can you charge an ebike at an ecar point?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:can you charge an ebike at an ecar point?

E-bikes usually charge on normal electrical sockets. Electric cars can only 'trickle' charge on a normal 13 amp socket, so most people use dedicated charging points with higher current. E-bikes cannot normally use those.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom