Bikes on planes Again

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Antbrewer

Bikes on planes Again

Post by Antbrewer »

I have booked to go back to Austria next month and will be doing the same as I did last Sept when I flew from Gatwick with the bike in a CTC poly bag. Apart from having to cover the cranks with some cardboard as the difficult baggage handler insisted I do so all went very well.
However on my return from Salzburg I left one empty pannier on the bike inside the poly bag. No problems and the bike was delivered back to Gatwick.

My query is can I get away with putting both my empty panniers on the bike in the poly bag for transit???
This would make my life easier as I would be able put my spare clothes and the rest of my stuff I am taking in a more manageable bag for me to carry into the cabin.
I have read on this forum that there shouldn't be anything else in the poly bag except for the bike as this is considered the one 'hold' item that I have paid for with my ticket.
Any thought please.

Anthony
whoof

Re: Bikes on planes Again

Post by whoof »

Antbrewer wrote: Apart from having to cover the cranks with some cardboard as the difficult baggage handler insisted I do so all went very well.

I think this answers your query. It will be either fine or a problem depending on who is checking it in.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've flown with my bike probably about 20 times. I mostly use a cardboard bike box obtained from a local bike shop.

My experience is that there isn't a standard answer to these questions. Airlines are quite good at providing guidance, but the constraints seem to be with the airport and baggage handlers. This is sometimes down to their systems and processes, but can be down to getting the right/wrong person on the right/wrong day

I wish there were a standard answer that applied to every airline and airport
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The risk is yours, easyjet's rules are quite clear. Quote:

"You can take your bicycle with you but it needs to packed in the following way before it can be put in the aircraft hold:

The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bicycle bag
Only one bicycle per box/bag is allowed
The handlebars must be flush with the frame
Pedals must be removed or flush against the frame
No other items can be carried in the bicycle box/bag (i.e. clothing)
We strongly recommend deflating the tyres and packing the bicycle in a hard case where possible to protect your bicycle during transit.

Electric bicycles are not permitted for travel."

You may be able to argue that the panniers are an integral part of the bike and cannot be removed. Also you could argue that they say i.e. clothing rather than eg clothing. Of course this may antagonise the check in staff to start getting stroppy over your poly bag.

Personally, I hate hand luggage and for the £15 or so would rather buy 15kgs of hold luggage and stick it all in there.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Don't wish to be alarmist but have you read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=129829
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Yes I am aware of all the problems that firms such as Ryanair cause so I would never travel with them with or without a bike. That chap O'leary needs a really good slap in my opinion.
I went with BA last year and the same with BA this coming Sept. They state that a poly bag is good. That isn't the problem here. Also the usual things such as pedals off or turned inside and handlebars turned and front wheel off to shorten the length etc. It is just whether they would accept the attached panniers (empty) would be providing extra protection for the back wheels? I will be putting a sheet of cardboard in the bag to smooth out the cranks .
Anthony
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

I've never used the CTC bag but from a common sense point of view I can't see a problem with you plans.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

For some reason, I thought you were flying easyjet - but on re reading your post, I see no mention of them. Later you mention BA, so my post above detailing easyjet's policy was a waste of time.

BA's rules are very simple and don't mention anything about 'inclusions' in the bag or box. If the panniers are empty and flattened against the bike, I can see no problem.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I appreciate your taking the time to answer Simon so no problem. For all the woes of BA of which there are many at the moment I found their policy on taking bikes quite straight forward. The problem may well lie with the baggage handlers which as you know work for the airport authority and not for any airline.
I think I will go with the plan of empty panniers strapped to the bike for legitimate protection over the wheel.
Anthony
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Flown a dozen times with bikes now, always in a cardboard box. Always 'topped up' the weight with all my camping gear, panniers etc. I've never ever had this questioned or my bike box searched (other than a couple of security searches).

Crux is I have never had an issue with transporting all my normal baggage along with the bike - with some airlines (like BA) it's basically a loophole that allows you free oversize) overweight luggage.